Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mox

Fishing - Naval Combat - Diving

Fishing, naval combat and diving!  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the idea about fishing, naval combat and diving?

I played ArcheAge a while back. Even though I quit 2 weeks after beginning (grindiest game ever), I got to experience some of the naval combat.

And it was a hell of a lot of fun.

I remember raiding trade ships with my then-guild. I also remember protecting trade ships on our Black Pearl, dominating any pirates who attempted to raid the trade ship we had been hired to guard. This was emergent gameplay that I LOVED.

I really hope ACE eventually does something similar, even if this something comes two years after the game is out.

Yea it was awesome at the start, when there was an active community. It's nothing like it was now. You might find a few people out there fishing, but most people tend to just use ships to move trade packs now. Most of the pirates, on my server at least, quit. So, it's become quite a care-bear paradise since there's often more people guarding the the cargo than attacking it. 

Edited by zero2none

I played ArcheAge a while back. Even though I quit 2 weeks after beginning (grindiest game ever), I got to experience some of the naval combat.

And it was a hell of a lot of fun.

I remember raiding trade ships with my then-guild. I also remember protecting trade ships on our Black Pearl, dominating any pirates who attempted to raid the trade ship we had been hired to guard. This was emergent gameplay that I LOVED.

I really hope ACE eventually does something similar, even if this something comes two years after the game is out.

No way your guild had a black pearl two weeks in. I'm calling you out.

Hopefully Naval combat is implemented at some point.

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

It was probably a regular galleon, but who honestly cares though.

I've looked over some images lately and I've noticed that there is a shortage of seas/oceans. I've seen rivers and lakes, but that's just not enough space for naval things.

I joined a guild who had been going for months. They were not 2 week old players.

Edited by ShadoPandauin

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.. and gerbils on crowcaine."

sea creatures.  i want to be able to tame a sea creature and ride it like a dolphin across the sea.  i'll be like Aquaman.

That would be interesting as well! :D

ice fishing with winter and zombies closing in on you, that's a game!

Catching some ice fishes,

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

Or maybe a giant squid!

Or taming a whale and shark :3 that would be fun to do.

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

I think its a cool thing to have in a game, sailing on the seas with your mates to catch some fish.

Only thing that makes me think otherwise is if its a priority to have at release on their current budget. If they already have it planned then cool but if it's not even on their release wish list... maybe not.

YannMLq.png

I joined a guild who had been going for months. They were not 2 week old players.

I thought you were referring from the actual launch day of 2 weeks. My bad.

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

I think its a cool thing to have in a game, sailing on the seas with your mates to catch some fish.

Only thing that makes me think otherwise is if its a priority to have at release on their current budget. If they already have it planned then cool but if it's not even on their release wish list... maybe not.

Indeed it's not on their current budget that's why it's for a future expansion hopefully!

We see the vision, we can see our future™.

Sand-box game requires sand, not water.

On waters, there is a high chance to get advantage caused by money, and tactical mechanics like movement, damage etc. is caused by your ship stats, not ur character.

Crowfall is meant to create yourself and fight for the great goods. I can't fit this in Crowfall, even If I really want to.

Sorry bro, this is impossible.

But I am glad to see this proposal clear and wealthy in information.

Nice to eat You.

I love fishing in every game, even the sucky ones.  For some twisted reason, I just git a kick out standing there waiting for something to happen even though it is just wasting time.  Besides, it is a thrill to sit there vulnerable with a fishing poll in hand knowing you could be ambushed at any second without a weapon ready.

Edited by Tahru

SR8DSigTemp_Tahru.png

On waters, there is a high chance to get advantage caused by money, and tactical mechanics like movement, damage etc. is caused by your ship stats, not ur character.

Crowfall is meant to create yourself and fight for the great goods. I can't fit this in Crowfall, even If I really want to.

This makes sense

This makes sense, but I think there can be ways of making this work, probably.

The clearest is making ships non-combat oriented, having the crew be doing the fighting using boarding methods and spells/arrows from ranged archetypes. An amusing idea I can see is having knights use their hook-chain skill to begin pulling ships together, and legionnaires using their leaping capabilities to cover the gap between the ships and wrecking havoc on the enemy ship with physics.

But I do think it's a good while away from something imaginable.

Edited by Dondagora

I could see maybe a ruleset with water elements come into play in a way that encourages PVP....the hunger might take the form of water that slowly rises and has corrupted sea creatures that attack players. The higher the water level in a given area, the bigger the sea creatures are that can swim there. If it exceeds your head's height, you drown. 

Players would be forced to head to higher and higher ground, with portals back to the EK being at the highest points to focus players into a pvp match. "Fishing" would consist of fighting sea creatures in shallow, walkable water (slowed movement and attack speed), allowing the team to get away with this without spending time developing actual water combat. Fishing would be risky, as other players could knock-back fishing players into water that was too deep - causing them to drown or aggro larger creatures.

Edited by flightsaber

17343590994_cbb5af0d1c_b.jpg

Fight for the Fallen Lady- keep her sanctum open to all. Join the Gaean Remnant. [RP]

I don't really see the difference between a castle/keep/etc. and multiple ship types like Archeage with Galleon/Merchant Schooner/Clipper/Rowboat to mention a few ones. 

I don't really see where money or resources come into play with that. Of course a guild with more resources to spend will go for a castle/keep if these come with good aspects. 

The same concept of Castles/Keeps/structures in general can be applied to ships as well. Distribute shipwrecks on certain points and let people build them up. 

The only thing left is what happens when you log out. Will you leave your ship vulnerable for everyone or will it become a campaign temporary summon scroll. 

You are right with the tactics revolving around the ship you are currently on but is that a bad thing? 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Although at first I liked the idea, I'm starting to have second thoughts. Crowfall is based on Siege warfare and economy, and really ships would either heighten these aspects, or detract from them. One possible scenario is they would basically just expand normal activities (bandits, carrying goods, bringing large siege equipment, etc.) and just put them on oceans. So we would get pirating, transport ships and docks, along with catapults and stuff that could be carried by boat to castles for sieging (blackwater bay?). Other scenario would be everyone treats it like a pirate game, going on adventures on the seven seas, fighting only using naval combat and totally distracting players from campaigns.

Would a campaign be as fun if you have 20% of the game's people actually harvesting resources and taking control of castles, when others realize they can hop on a ship, pirate resources and basically have a portable castle to avoid the hunger, it seems kinda lame. Yes, obviously I am using a poor example since most players aren't stupid enough to get that distracted, but I think to some extent it would become similar to Archeage where people just work on land until they have enough stuff to get a boat and go on pirate adventures.

The problem with naval combat is that if you want to get it right, it's kind of like building another game....  If crowfall had unlimited resources then sure they could find a way to blend naval combat within their vision... but they don't. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir