Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
regmiester

Idea to make mindless zerging less appealing.

I think a friendly fire mechanic is only the first step in creating structured mass battles.

The set of skill characters have in mmorpgs is normally tailored towards solo play and group play.

My idea is to add a whole new set of skills that is used to form military units in a mass battle. For example, every character who can use a shield can learn a phalanx skill.

On the battlefield he can then start a phalanx what places a marker on him. Other players who see that can join the phalanx and lock shields with him. Then the players get a buff that enables them to slaughter every enemy 300 style as long as it comes from the front.

The players in the phalanx still have meaningful gameplay. They have to attack and hold formatin and manouver around as a unit what can be challenging. Therefore it works far better when instead of a casual group a whole guild of players shows up together who have trained together.

Alternatively there could be a group of magic users who perform some magical ritual that summons a big wall of fire, or a giant daemon.

Of course there would still be a place for individual players to act as skirmishers.

This means that a zerg becomes basically useless if the players are unable to organise. I know that it would be very challenging to make 50 players act in unison, especially since players aren’t used to this. This would provide a big incentive to form a community.

Guys read the correct FAQ...

http://crowfall.com/#/faq/54e5fd5093fc8d634e4d6908

Number 15.

Thanks for the link and reminder!

Cool. Number 13 addresses formations as a tactical tool. Hope Commander's rune offers something on higher operational and strategic levels. As well, more organizational groups which is more military-like and more fitting for a large scale combat game.

Not directing this last statement at anyone in particular. Just wanna say that this is a PVP game, after all, and FF has always been part of such focused games.

Friendly Fire For The Win!

*nods, with her head, to note the direction of Candyland*

Edited by Maxima

"Signals, Sound off Plates and Greaves! Line up! Prepare to advance!"

- Saying things a Centaur Legionnaire likes to hear.

* marks 1 next to Adall's name on the list

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

You'll find out!

*big wink*

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Here is my thread on a potential solution to zergs which adds more to the tactical side of the game.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/7547-prisoner-of-war-mechanic/

Lol we've already told you your idea is bad.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Lol we've already told you your idea is bad.

It will live on!

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

It's not actually referenced in the FAQ, but we have been told that Dregs campaigns will be full friendly fire, and that the outer campaign bands will have as much friendly fire as possible while also discouraging teamkilling.

That won't discourage zergs. The majority of the zergs you'll encounter will be semi-to-full on competent guilds.

That won't discourage zergs. The majority of the zergs you'll encounter will be semi-to-full on competent guilds.

Even if their competent, Collision and Friendly Fire will limit the freedom a larger group has to attack a smaller group.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Even if their competent, Collision and Friendly Fire will limit the freedom a larger group has to attack a smaller group.

Especially when you consider various ranged spells have AoE components on them if they go for too long it is sounding. So surrounding an opponant on a friendly fire enabled campaign...mages sound to be a detriment. 

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."