Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oridi

Crafting Update

I put this in community suggestions but it was pointed out that if I wanted a dev response I should put it elsewhere. 

So. We have not had an update on crafting since 1/22 and that was pre pre alpha. 

Can we get an update on crafting?  Even if it's "crafting is not being looked at right now - check back in 6 months".

My other post was much wittier but I'm all tuckered out from battling the "who needs crafting/who cares about a crafting update" community posts.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

girl a substantial update will happen with a neat article

i think the focus is combat since it is a pvp-centric game and alpha is months away, id love to hear all about crafting but i would rather wait for a response in the form of an article and tidbits instead of

"no, check back."

bless your heart <3

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

Hello, Oridi.

I am glad you finally found the right place to request the update you have been so eager for. I am glad to see that you are doing this the right way, as I am sure they did not see your other post. You have been known to be a necessary pillar in our community and I sincerely hope ACE and their team can find the time between making the game, fixing the website, and making design choices to sit down and come up with some of the crafting answers you've been looking for. It is necessary at times to remind them, because they could of forgotten that crafting in this game even existed.

Thank you for making sure both the combat side and pve side get equal treatment, since all I've seen since kickstarter were economy updates, buildings, creatures, thralls, and kingdoms. It has surely felt one-sided.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I was told the other post was in the wrong place.  I agree - why ask in the Community section when I'm not looking for a player answer.  Posted here as it seems like the right spot. 

If there is a thread you can point me to that has an actual crafting update or a mention that there is a specific delay in crafting then I'd love the info. 

Other than that if you don't like crafting, don't think it's valuable, don't think I should ask then please know that none of those things has any relevance to this thread.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

i think the focus is combat since it is a pvp-centric game

Combat and PVP are gonna suck without weapons, ammunition, and armor. Not to mention resource extraction and gathering. We are not even sure if player buildings need to be made by crafters...

As a PVPer, I think crafting is just as important as combat. Maybe even more so because crafting is normally treated as a lesser priority. A feature that (ironically, same as PVP) is usually tacked on... like pin the tail on the donkey. Blind and off the mark.

Am sure PVP and combat will be stellar. It should be. Shadowbane. 'Nuff said.

Shadowbane's crafting sucked tho. Is why I played SWG to get my craft on.

Like the OP said, are we not due for an update... like how other important features are announced and put forward.

*has an inquiring mind about things crafting*

"Signals, Sound off Plates and Greaves! Line up! Prepare to advance!"

- Saying things a Centaur Legionnaire likes to hear.

na i mean right now they are designing combat.

crafting/economy is definitely important but it should be on the backburner and added on after combat fundamentals are laid down. that is what i meant by pvp at its core

cos after you add crafting with stronger weapons and armor, you have to figure out how to scale those armor weapon and items with combat and not other way around

hth

Edited by Lastgirl~

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

na i mean right now they are designing combat.

crafting/economy is definitely important but it should be on the backburner and added on after combat fundamentals are laid down. that is what i meant by pvp at its core

cos after you add crafting with stronger weapons and armor, you have to figure out how to scale those armor weapon and items with combat and not other way around

hth

Combat, am sure, is well flushed out by now, and if it's not, someone has been doing it wrong.

Regardless, the best made combat system won't matter for poorly made socks if crafting is poorly made socks.

As a former Shadowbane player, I have no doubts that combat shall be great, and not just good.

What the OP, others in the community who are serious about crafting, as well as myself, want are reassurances that Crowfall's crafting will not suck and hard.

Like I said earlier, most games treat PVP as a tack on feature... just like crafting... so if PVP is gonna get some CF love... and JTC and company are serious about wanting to push the genre to evolve forward... where's our crafting update?

We all want to play this game for different reasons. All should matter. No role is more important than the other so crafters having expectations for an update is no different than those of you who post for combat info. Difference is ACE is delivering... and only to part of the community.

ACE is talking big game. Call the deal. Let's see what ACE has up it's crafting sleeve.

Edited by Maxima

Combat, am sure is well flushed out by now, and if it's not, someone has been doing it wrong.

Regardless, the best made combat system won't matter for poorly made socks if crafting is poorly made socks.

As a former Shadowbane player, I have no doubts that combat shall be great, and not just good.

What the OP, others in the community who are serious about crafting, as well as myself, want are reassurances that Crowfall's crafting will not suck and hard.

Like I said earlier, most games treat PVP as a tack on feature... just like crafting... so if PVP is gonna get some CF love... and JTC and company are serious about wanting to push the genre to evolve forward... where's our crafting update?

We all want to play this game for different reasons. All should matter. No role is more important than the other so crafters having expectations for an update is no different than those of you who post for combat info. Difference is ACE is delivering... and only to part of the community.

ACE is talking big game. Call the deal. Let's see what ACE has up it's crafting sleeve.

Uh, combat is hardly "flushed" out otherwise they wouldn't be focusing on it 100% and making sure we are updated about it.

You will get more info on crafting when they are ready to work on crafting. Why is this hard to understand?

Edited by Adall

Uh, combat is hardly "flushed" out otherwise they wouldn't be focusing on it 100% and making sure we are updated about it.

You will get more info on crafting when they are ready to work on crafting. Why is this hard to understand?

Combat systems are being carried over from other games that everyone has worked on. They probably started stronger out the gate on this game than any other project they worked on.

I do know they didn't think out EKs and combat too well so some new ground is breaking somewhat...

But as they have established code and have been working on CF for a good while now... pre-alpha build is not starting from scratch since CF was recently announced.

Crafting will be a big part of the "Why we fight" and if crafting is not a priority to ACE then it should be. Crafting is just as legit playstyle as any other and that should be reflected by informational updates. Why announce Raph Koster coming aboard if crafting is wait and do later?

As for understanding, you might wanna try walking your talk. Open your mind a little too. It seems quite closed.

Good day.

Edited by Maxima

^^^  Koster is a consultant.  He is not a dev.  I am sure he was consulted about crafting etc but is not actively working on CF hands on.  

•  
    RAPH KOSTER | DESIGN CONSULTANT

A professional game designer and frequent writer on issues of interactive design, Raph Koster was the lead designer on the seminal online world Ultima Online, which first brought online worlds to the mass market. Until March 2006 he was Chief Creative Officer for Sony Online Entertainment, makers of EverQuest, where he previously led the design of Star Wars Galaxies.

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

The people working on crafting - Koster etc.- may or may not be working on combat.  Anyone remember the name of the dev that is heading up the crafting team?  Can't find the thread where someone pointed him out.  IMO a great deal of the crafting process has nothing to do with combat.  Does not matter how resources are gathered when it comes to combat when you think about it.  How an item is actually crafted?  Again, has nothing to do with combat.

So while I can see how crafting will have to wait for combat info in order to be completed I don't see it as mandatory that nothing can be done until combat is finished.

What I am asking for is an update on crafting.  If it's months away from being built then fine, the devs can let us know that.  You very well might be right that there's no movement at all on crafting but it is also possible that things have moved forward.  No way to know until we're told and it's poor form at best to get peeved because someone is asking about something that you may or may not care about.

pixS8Wt.jpg

This threads tastes like me.

I don't understand why some people get so militant about other people asking about parts of the game they're not concerned with. The game isn't being made just for you, and if they had spent the past 6 months discussing crafting and not combat, you'd pretty be a little upset yourself.

So let's all calm down, eh?

Crowfall is going to be highly variable-dependent. In a nutshell, combat, crafting, and resource allocation all need to mesh seamlessly in order to create a good player experience. I've worked on and seen too much software in which you tweak something in one place and it throws everything else off. Remember how the devs talked about getting the mount backer goal before deciding how big the gameworld would be? In my opinion, software shouldn't really work like that. It needs to react gracefully to things being changed.

So while I'm not focused on crafting news specifically, I think there's an underlying system here that could use some more explanation. The devs talk about balancing the game as they go, using results from alpha and beta testing. That will go a lot smoother (and faster, and be less expensive) if they approach development from the perspective of making frequent, fairly drastic changes. I'd like to hear whether they plan on "fixing" everything by hand or if they have some sort of automated process to rebalance things.

Example: they boost the damage that steel weapons do. Does iron become more scarce, or heavier? Iron mines less common or less likely to spawn near bloodstone trees? Do certain types of armor change to compensate? If there's far-reaching effects, making all these changes by hand each and every time is going to be pretty painful.

Edited by txteclipse

^^^  Koster is a consultant.  He is not a dev.  I am sure he was consulted about crafting etc but is not actively working on CF hands on.  

• NewsTile_Raph.jpg

RAPH KOSTER | DESIGN CONSULTANT

A professional game designer and frequent writer on issues of interactive design, Raph Koster was the lead designer on the seminal online world Ultima Online, which first brought online worlds to the mass market. Until March 2006 he was Chief Creative Officer for Sony Online Entertainment, makers of EverQuest, where he previously led the design of Star Wars Galaxies.

Yeah, consultants work. Is what they do. Seen his name associated with crafting during KickStarter. Never said he was a dev. ACE prolly wont have one if they sourced Mr. Koster. Am sure that he has written a crafting document of bible-esque proportions by now. Lol. Least hope so.

Anyway, I support the OP and would like to see more information on a very important... and essential gaming mechanic. Let's not forget that much of the fighting will be around resources and not just politics. Resources are needed for crafting we are told. That's a big reason for "Why we fight". Hard to talk about fighting without talking about the "why".

Just sayin'.