Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crafting and you...

Nakawe

In UO (Ultima Online) 15 thousand years ago, I played a crafter.  It was kinda a big deal to have my name on peoples armor "crafted by Nakawe".  Well at least to me, it was :D . 

I would stand by the crafting area for hours chatting and flirting for the best tips. We did this in UO to repair armor.  I would like to see this again in a game.  I am not saying not to allow players to have vendors either.  

I would like to take it a few steps further and not only have this the only way to repair armor but have some special imbue that could only be done why the customer is there.  So in a nice tidy list for people to tear apart, here she is..

1.  In order to repair items, one would have to find an equally skilled crafter of the same level or higher in order to get items repaired. 

2.  Have an imbue system that takes a small portion of life essence from the customer to be imbued into the armor that is being made.  This essence should only be attainable by participating in Campaign Worlds.  Once the essence is created by the customer.  it can only last for a few minutes before it dissipates.  This keeps people from stock piling the essence and leaving it for afk or offline people to make armor later.

Just a few thoughts to try to encourage people to bring the MMO back into games.  This imbue can not be so overpowering that it makes the offline crafter useless either.  Just a little bonus for that personal touch.  I want to see dedicated crafters in a game again...

I agree that if something is repaired by a noob crafts person, that was made by a maxed crafting master, there would be a likely hood of further damaging the piece instead of repairing it. This only makes sense.

But I don't follow the purpose of of using the Additive spot in the crafting window to add the player own essence. Right now it's for Thrall spirit essence to add bonuses to the item based on the spirit type.

That won't work for using the player essence. The only reason i can think of for doing what you mentioned is it "spirit bind" that piece to you so when you die it doesn't get looted from your grave but instead respawns with you (which I think the system does anyways unless it one of the rule sets, say "Full Loot", for that campaign world). 

I can't wait to see what crafting is like in Crowfall. I am a long time MMO player as well, and could see myself becoming a full-time crafter if the system is done well. It has been a while since I have done this, I think Vanguard: Saga of Heroes was the last MMO where I was literally a full-time crafter (at least, I spent significantly more time crafting than adventuring, and was one of the best armorsmiths on my server).

While I do love PvP, being able to craft like a maniac, and possibly support my team some in combat (though I will be weak), sounds like something I would really enjoy. We will just have to see how it plays out. I will see to you at the crafting tables. Cheers!

Vidrak - Member of

mael4.jpg

I absolutely agree with the first point made, in having to have a crafter of equal skill or higher to repair your items.

Although as for the 'life essence' I don't really think it would work, especially if it was for that short amount of time.

"The blade isn't the only part of a sword."

9 years of Ragnarok Online, 9 years of EVE Online -- Beta tester of Planetside 2, ESO, RIFT, Warhammer Online, SWTOR, and Elite: Dangerous.

I'd like to see something like this as well though with a slight twist. Let's say you find a craftsman to repair your gear that's below the skill threshold, have it repaired, but lower the maximum durability of said item, say 10-20%. That way if you're in the middle of a seige and you're really desperate, you can still have someone help you repair (with the proper resources and even time it would take to do so) without having to lug around complete armor sets just in case you can't find a crafter online at that moment. This would add a bit of risk vs reward and ultimately would satisfy everyone without feeling like they have to keep a maxed out crafter online 24/7, but if you can manage that, you still get a perk over those that don't, just not such an insurmountable advantage.

I loved being a crafter in UO I hate that most MMO now tie in crafting instead of being separate. 

Something like Lineage 2 where you could setup a shop and que up a recipe and people could pay to build the item would be cool. Basically you would setup the shop say for a longsword and based on your skill you could be afk and have others gather resources and try to craft the weapon off of you and you could still gain a small amount of XP and obviously the gold you charge.

Crowfallsig2.png

I'm leery of the idea of AFK shops. Seeing that in a large number of Asian MMORPGs was terrible; people as far as the eye could see in town, all AFK, all lagging the game and breaking immersion.

Formerly Scin Karetyr, a native of Chilastra in Star Wars Galaxies

I'm leery of the idea of AFK shops. Seeing that in a large number of Asian MMORPGs was terrible; people as far as the eye could see in town, all AFK, all lagging the game and breaking immersion.

ACE hasn't suggested anything along those lines. Shops will be fixed structures permanently staffed by thralls, not an AFK character with a full inventory who just plops down a carpet on the sidewalk.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

ACE hasn't suggested anything along those lines. Shops will be fixed structures permanently staffed by thralls, not an AFK character with a full inventory who just plops down a carpet on the sidewalk.

Korean games tend to have shops like that.  Lineage2 did for sure.  I could see this working in CW's but not he EK's.  I would prefer in CW that player have to be accounted for and present though.  I like dedicated crafters in a game.

I love the idea of a repair requiring someone of equal or higher level then the crafter. I am really hoping for a deep crafting system that allows for an actual time commitment to reach your apex instead of making two million copper swords to skill up

For the night is dark and filled with terrors.

Skilling up will be based on the passive training system, not grinding out useless items in vast quantities.

Have you read the FAQ? It's got a lot of very useful info.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

"Yes, you can advance a skill through use"  (active training) " -- but only to get proficiency. Passive training is the primary way of advancing your character's skills."

Just imagine a smiley after everything I say.  Works out best for us all.

1.  In order to repair items, one would have to find an equally skilled crafter of the same level or higher in order to get items repaired. 

+1 It just doesn't make sense for a lower proficient crafter to have the knowledge of repairing an item that they can't even craft.

2.  Have an imbue system that takes a small portion of life essence from the customer to be imbued into the armor that is being made.  This essence should only be attainable by participating in Campaign Worlds.  Once the essence is created by the customer.  it can only last for a few minutes before it dissipates.  This keeps people from stock piling the essence and leaving it for afk or offline people to make armor later.

-1 I just don't see this adding to the gameplay or fun... which makes it really unnecessary to implement.  There is already a system in place that requires resources from CWs for use in EKs, there's no point in adding yet another one, and one personal to the character.  It just adds an unnecessary complex layer to crafting.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

-1 I just don't see this adding to the gameplay or fun... which makes it really unnecessary to implement.  There is already a system in place that requires resources from CWs for use in EKs, there's no point in adding yet another one, and one personal to the character.  It just adds an unnecessary complex layer to crafting.

I was trying to come up with a way to make a crafter necessary and unique.  Maybe this is the wrong approach but what would make you want to seek me out over a crafter who drops his goods on a stationary vendor?   Back in the day in UO, I remember crafting in town and having regular customers.  It created an extremely vibrant social aspect to the crafting portion of the game.

So I am open to ideas here......

Edited by Nakawe

I was trying to come up with a way to make a crafter necessary and unique.  Maybe this is the wrong approach but what would make you want to seek me out over a crafter who drops his goods on a stationary vendor?   Back in the day in UO, I remember crafting in town and having regular customers.  It created an extremely vibrant social aspect to the crafting portion of the game.

Honestly, I don't think it really matters.  The primary goal in CF is winning CWs and crafting exists in support of that goal.  Crafting is a support role, unlike most other MMOs that have designed crafting into a secondary meta game that supports a selfish economic... get rich goal.  There really is no point to "getting rich" in CF.

With the information we have, I dunno how to answer this yet. Because gear won't mean a whole lot in this game, there won't be that rare piece of gear for people to seek me or you out. Having said that, I hope there is some kind of specialization amongst crafters so people do feel they can seek them out. My only theory on this is that certain crafting disciplines will likely provide the specialization we need.

Honestly, I don't think it really matters.  The primary goal in CF is winning CWs and crafting exists in support of that goal.  Crafting is a support role, unlike most other MMOs that have designed crafting into a secondary meta game that supports a selfish economic... get rich goal.  There really is no point to "getting rich" in CF.

I disagree. The people who want to get rich in CF may look at the EKs as their gold sinks. I personally wouldn't mind a fluff empire of my own, but that's just me. It's not everyone

Edited by purplestreak

I disagree. The people who want to get rich in CF may look at the EKs as their gold sinks. I personally wouldn't mind a fluff empire of my own, but that's just me. It's not everyone

The EK is ~90% cosmetic housing.  The largest EK, fully upgraded, will take a TON of resources exported from CW wins.  Sure, I can see some players having this as a "prestige" goal, but it does absolutely nothing toward CWs, where 90% of the gameplay resides.  It also doesn't require crafting... possibly more with economics to purchase the resources, but at this point, you're faced with an extremely high demand for EK resources and a relatively low supply, and mostly from players looking to make just enough coins to pay for monthly VIP and w/e taxes they may have.

So, in the overall scope of CF, crafting to get rich just doesn't fit.  Sure, you're more than welcome to try... but you'll have far more significant gains with this in other MMOs.

The EK is ~90% cosmetic housing.  The largest EK, fully upgraded, will take a TON of resources exported from CW wins.  Sure, I can see some players having this as a "prestige" goal, but it does absolutely nothing toward CWs, where 90% of the gameplay resides.  It also doesn't require crafting... possibly more with economics to purchase the resources, but at this point, you're faced with an extremely high demand for EK resources and a relatively low supply, and mostly from players looking to make just enough coins to pay for monthly VIP and w/e taxes they may have.

So, in the overall scope of CF, crafting to get rich just doesn't fit.  Sure, you're more than welcome to try... but you'll have far more significant gains with this in other MMOs.

I think you are missing my point. I won't be playing crowfall to just to craft all day in an EK and get rich and hope I build it myself , that wasn't my point at all. My point was rich (maybe successful is better word) players, anyone who gets rich, may look at EKs as a way to spend their resources over time, because that's exactly what they are designed for. People will want fluff.

From a crafting perspective, you may think why would I spend my extra resources on that? Good question, I dunno half the reason why I do things anymore. But extra resources just means more things to craft on my end, at some point, I'd likely want to spend too.

Edited by purplestreak

Well, building up an EK is really outside the scope of crafting.  Using an EK as a representation of your success within CWs is a great use of it.  

At the same time, if you look at CF crafting like crafting in pretty much every other MMO... as a means of obtaining wealth.... then you may be in for a disappointment.  Especially, if you're expecting to make $ crafting within the CW and within your guild.  Again, it's a support role, not a capitalistic one.

what would make you want to seek me out over a crafter who drops his goods on a stationary vendor?

Customization. If each sword can be crafted from multiple ingots of many different possible alloys, plus leather for the hilt and possibly a thrall or other upgrade component, I'm going to have to have a conversation with a human being to place an order if there's a specific item I want forged.

Once you make it, I have zero care about whether I pick it up from you in person or from your shopthrall.

Tully