Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arro

Curious about how more money effects the development

As the title says I´m wondering how it all works. I myself am learning game design and such and started wondering how the money comes into play.
The biggest question for me is, how does more money equal more stuff in the game?
Pay your employes more for overtime to get the stretch goals?
Hire new people?
Why does 50 thousand dollars equal a new ruleset in the game?

Some of these stretched goals made sense so to speak, one of them was to hire a new visual effects person and that just makes sense.

I´m just being curious and trying to learn how it all works.

Have a nice day

Arro

Arrogance diminishes wisdom

I like the game and everything but I totally think some of the "stretch goals" are kinda complete garbage in terms of the funding for them. As you said the stretch goal for hiring a new person totally makes sense.

Are the game developers getting paid overtime to work on the game for more hours? That's the only way I can see these stretch goals for new campaign rules actually being legitimate.

I'm sure the localization is being handled by some sort of third party company so that's pretty legitimate even though I couldn't care less about that (I know it's selfish). 

They are not balanced, their aim is to increase total budget of the game while giving us some rewards to keep money flowing. Even if only 5k is necessary for ruleset other 45k will return to us in different ways, additional mechanics, better graphics , better optimization etc.

Also, some systems for game development can be bought.  There are a number of well developed engine components that aren't free and can allow you to just plug-in features without wasting a ton of development time.

That's a pretty small fraction of the money they are raising, but it's definitely another way that money can help.

Money allows them to buy more beer, and developers need that to survive. Without beer there will be no Crowfall.

Also, it costs money to pay employees. Then can possibly hire more with more cash as well, thus we get faster work or more worked items.

This is such a funny post! Developers certainly do need more beer!

I think the stretchgoals are ACE's estimation of production cost for whatever stretchgoal is specified. I'm not a developer, so I'm sure there's a lot involved. It also gets this community hyped up for new things!

Thank you for your post, arro. Certainly interesting questions that I'm sure others are curious about but haven't asked yet, so I'm sure you've helped a lot of the community understand our development better.

~*Giggles and Hugs*~

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

As far as I know 2 mil $ is not much for a project like this. You probably know the numbers that are floating around when it comes to mmorpg development costs. This is (fortunately)  not the next wow-killer themepark mmo, but it is an ambitious project too and therefore I assume that the 2 mil are only a bit of extra funding.

Personally, I haven't seen them offer much, most of the stretch goals were already planned in the future, and seem pretty menial, while significant ones like European and Asian localizing aren't directly beneficial to local contributors. But making it seem like there's progress and return on investment helps drive sales, and more money means they can budget more labor in either increased man power, or a longer production schedule for existing manpower, which they may not have thought available without further funding.

Given that I've almost never heard of a major game being finished on time or within budget, I hope they raise all the money they can. But I would be happier with more substantial stretch goals aimed primarily at tempting new contributors rather than existing ones, Foreign markets are a great start, I can't see them promising any features which they didn't actually already have planned, but rich mounted combat and flight combat for various archetypes would be quite compelling, if they wanted to do a really large post launch stretch goal like aquatic exploration and naval combat, I'm sure many players would be elated.

I just hope they design a really good combat system which they can advertise to draw in new consumers though, I'm more irritated by the amount of Eswag they sale than the kinds of stretch goals they tempt us with.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I just hope they design a really good combat system which they can advertise to draw in new consumers though,

This is the key to success in this game.  In order for them to be successful at combat they need to make it as flexible/user friendly as possible, so it appeals to more of the masses, while staying true to their vision of action combat.   I have a few ideas for this......

This is the key to success in this game.  In order for them to be successful at combat they need to make it as flexible/user friendly as possible, so it appeals to more of the masses, while staying true to their vision of action combat.   I have a few ideas for this......

They desing combat to be fun no to appeal to masses to make more money. Goal is to have fun game not another wow cash cow. I am fine with smaller community and have good game then play with millions and have hollow experience due to desing choices to bring more people to the game.

They desing combat to be fun no to appeal to masses to make more money. Goal is to have fun game not another wow cash cow. I am fine with smaller community and have good game then play with millions and have hollow experience due to desing choices to bring more people to the game.

Exactly !! Sure they will be happy if they get even more players than they expect (everybody is happy with more profit), but they already said many times that they dont want to make a game for the masses like Blizzard did with WoW. I really appreciate this! Stay to your vision! Dont make the game too easy, it shouldnt be for everybody (even if I have problems to be as good as I want, I wouldnt want that they make the game easier because of that)

Exactly !! Sure they will be happy if they get even more players than they expect (everybody is happy with more profit), but they already said many times that they dont want to make a game for the masses like Blizzard did with WoW. I really appreciate this! Stay to your vision! Dont make the game too easy, it shouldnt be for everybody (even if I have problems to be as good as I want, I wouldnt want that they make the game easier because of that)

But if it's too hard we might lose the playerbase. If people feel stressed from having a hard combat system or the political system for interactions between guilds creates any drama or charged tension, people won't play anymore. We get enough stress in our daily lives to have to deal with choosing exact skills or figuring out timing. God forbid this game has any tension. Won't be much fun playing when there's nobody to have a fun time with, now would it?

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

But if it's too hard we might lose the playerbase. If people feel stressed from having a hard combat system or the political system for interactions between guilds creates any drama or charged tension, people won't play anymore. We get enough stress in our daily lives to have to deal with choosing exact skills or figuring out timing. God forbid this game has any tension. Won't be much fun playing when there's nobody to have a fun time with, now would it?

Sure, it also needs to be fun ;) . But its also not fun when everything gets too easy :).

For me personal fun begins, when you can challenge yourself, when you see how you improved and achieved something you set yourself as a goal. Its not always something big (like for example winning a campaign) it can be small things. I also think we shouldnt get all our goals just from the devs, like (in my opinion) is the case in most of the "easy" games. If its not hard to achieve the so called end game goal, you wont need smaller goals to fill your time until you may achieve a big goal.

To give you an example, most of the players in world of warcraft see leveling and equipping not like a "goal" its just a time filler, the real goals are beating the bosses in the hardest mode. I think thats really sad and I think part of the problem is, that leveling and equipping was made just too easy. If they wouldn't have made EVERYTHING so easy until you get to the raids where you might or might not get challenged, people would appreciate those little goals much more.

I always wonder why they not just stopped leveling and give the player the ability to get to max level and a "starting gear" and just raid. Most of the players I know from the last expansions think anyway that leveling and equipping in dungeons is just a waste of time.

tl:dr in my opinion make the game so hard, that people set themselves smaller goals, so that nothing like (equipping etc. feels like a waste of time)

The background on our funding strategy is here: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6043-the-crowfall-budget-question/

Having more money does either let us build the game faster or to a higher quality bar.  The current stretch goal lets us expand the reach of Crowfall to Asia, which we believe is important for the Crowfall brand, and for the potential future sale of rights in those territories.

We have several future stretch goals in mind which will help us improve or accelerate the game.  We'll put the next stretch goal up soon that is one of these.

Any new features added from here on out will be after the post-core module launch.  We'll say so within the stretch goal if this is the case.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

The background on our funding strategy is here: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6043-the-crowfall-budget-question/

Having more money does either let us build the game faster or to a higher quality bar.  The current stretch goal lets us expand the reach of Crowfall to Asia, which we believe is important for the Crowfall brand, and for the potential future sale of rights in those territories.

We have several future stretch goals in mind which will help us improve or accelerate the game.  We'll put the next stretch goal up soon that is one of these.

Any new features added from here on out will be after the post-core module launch.  We'll say so within the stretch goal if this is the case.

This is such a wonderful idea and I'm so glad you're reaching out to the Asian playerbases. We should bond together a community out of love and friendship all across the globe for such an amazing game as Crowfall is! I hope part of the stretch goal is to hire someone, like the friendly Tully, to represent us in a courteous and gentle way so that they understand the kind of warm-hearted community Crowfall is. I also hope there will be lots of cross-culture craftables and pets for us to buy to fill our EKs and wear in the CWs! Cannot express enough how excited I am!

~*Giggles and Hugs*~

Money equals time/effort.  With an almost set delivery date, it means either paid overtime or additional people (a call usually made based on duration of task).

More time equals more systems, better quality (from being able to spend more resources on something), or a combination.

Money equals time/effort.  With an almost set delivery date, it means either paid overtime or additional people (a call usually made based on duration of task).

More time equals more systems, better quality (from being able to spend more resources on something), or a combination.

I don't see anything about a set delivery date? The whole point of crowdfunding with this amazing community is to not be set to boundaries that publishers, etc would place. They should take as much time as they need to make sure we get all the amazing pets, ek assets, and RP elements we can before launch.

I would hope that  after the Asian stretch goal, they focus more on quality over quantity.  I want a severely polished game with the best combat any mmo has ever seen coupled with the most beautiful game graphics and super depth on the current systems they have proposed. 

What I don't want is more fluff like more archetypes, or anything that will take away from what they have currently proposed.  Make what is proposed deeper and more meaningful .....

This is what i mean by "quality over quantity"

I really don't understand this, can you explain a little more, please? I really want to understand.

Its like building a house.  If you make a strong foundation and reinforce it with extra re-bar, it will never crumble from the ground up.  

Another way to look at is, the game will only be as good as the weakest game design in it.  It could have an amazing combat system but if crafting is half-assed and thrown together, the only thing people will remember is how half-assed crafting is, not how great the combat is...

You need more analogies little Grasshopper? :D