Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lastgirl

Forum signature size restrictions

And a lot of other have restrictions for a reason or they don't even allow signatures. What it is now is fine and we don't need bigger ones.

*chimes in on a constructive thread to remind people that in other areas of the interwebz people have less rights and insists on never increasing the already superfluous amount of freedom we have currently. Thank You.

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

RULES OF CONDUCT version 1.1 7/29/16

Forum signatures

Signature graphics are permitted, but may only contain your character name, personal or guild sigil and personal slogan or other text that is directly related to your in-game persona, or content directly related to Crowfall. All content must be in good taste. Signatures must:

• Include no more than one image
  • Have a maximum height of 120 pixels
  • Have a maximum width of 400 pixels
  • Have a maximum file size of 32,768 bytes (not kilobytes)

This is the part where Canth sucks it for being arbitrarily strident

I will take this, this is much better emot-h.png

mods please lock this thread as it has been resolved and suggested thanks in advance

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

Fyi. 400 x 120 is not officially a done deal.

I like 600 x 50 because the priority of the forum is the posts. We have all seen forums where it was hard to find the posts among the signatures. I doubt the change will be positive nor negative with the exception of making everyone remake the images.

I am cool either way.

SR8DSigTemp_Tahru.png

This is the part where Canth sucks it for being arbitrarily strident

Not sure where this is coming from, but I never said anywhere I was opposed to bigger signatures. I can ignore those fine if I want too, like I pointed out as well. Guess some people have trouble with their reading comprehension.

If you're referring to this remark I made earlier:

Ow, and here is an idea: don't try to circumvent these signature rules. The only thing that can happen is that ACE is forced to tighten them up and no one wants that right?

That was made at you for putting your signature outside the signature field, so people can't ignore them even if they wanted too.

When ACE allows bigger signatures I won't like it much, but I will accept and abide by the rule changes regardless. I most likely will be busy the first few days ignoring people's signatures though, but I'll survive.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Fyi. 400 x 120 is not officially a done deal.

I like 600 x 50 because the priority of the forum is the posts. We have all seen forums where it was hard to find the posts among the signatures. I doubt the change will be positive nor negative with the exception of making everyone remake the images.

I am cool either way.

I have yet to find a forum where it was hard to find posts amongst signatures, and I have roughly 50,000 posts across multiple game forums.

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

• Include no more than one image
  • Have a maximum height of 120 pixels
  • Have a maximum width of 400 pixels
  • Have a maximum file size of 32,768 bytes (not kilobytes)

... I will take this, this is much better emot-h.png

120 total maximum height for our signatures is reasonable imo. Fenrial suggested something like that before. It's a good compromise I guess.

My solution? CSS max height. Remove the image size restriction and set the max height of the signature area to something sensible. Then I won't have to waste time scrolling past giant walls of quote text and be able to use my bloody tiny steam sig.

but I'll survive.

in this sub-lunar world of ours...all posts, signatures, and badges are papier-mâché

not exactly a reason to be so apoplectic.

Well protonix, there you go~ you are welcome friend

and 500x200 sounds pretty reasonable too.

Edited by Lastgirl~

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

Leave it as is, nice and small. The focus of a forum is your words, not your images. If you cannot make due with just words, maybe spend more time learning how to articulate things so you are more memorable for what you say and how you say it rather than what image people keep seeing.

If I see giant signatures that are constantly moving, avatar pictures that are doing random crap, I very quickly write off the entire forum as being not worth the time. Doesn't matter how nice the people are, a forum is for reading, not becoming a photo album.

As an example, I remember Bahamut for how they type and the manner in which they say things, not for the fact their are dragon images with every post.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

Leave it as is, nice and small. The focus of a forum is your words, not your images. If you cannot make due with just words, maybe spend more time learning how to articulate things so you are more memorable for what you say and how you say it rather than what image people keep seeing.

If I see giant signatures that are constantly moving, avatar pictures that are doing random crap, I very quickly write off the entire forum as being not worth the time. Doesn't matter how nice the people are, a forum is for reading, not becoming a photo album.

As an example, I remember Bahamut for how they type and the manner in which they say things, not for the fact their are dragon images with every post.

You make a pretty broad assumption that a forum full of images must also be devoid of exceptional written content. This seems pretty short-sighted of someone with such a superior intellect, assuming we use forum signature size as the measurement of such things.

How about this, if you forgive the fact that some of us enjoy having fun, vibrant signatures, I'll forgive the fact that you come off as a pretentious ass? Then everyone wins!

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

I was thinking that 600x10 may be the optimal size, as it offers billions of possibilities of patterns and colors while keeping the board clean.

I guess I'll rather just trust you with the 500x200.  :ph34r:

I appreciate that, I promise that I wouldn't lead you astray.

Clean boards are overrated anyway!  I've got thousands upon thousands of posts across multiple forums and can honestly tell you that the ones with small or no signatures allowed run no better or are no more "readable" than those where larger sigs are allowed.  It's a classic case of millennials not having an attention span and wanting everything to conform to their inability to concentrate.

Don't fret, it'll be fine, despite these naysayers.

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

Millenials? More like most of us are old enough to no longer require huge forum sigs that add clutter.

Yes I do come across as an arrogant arse, usually due to being blunt, it's a personal foible of mine I am still working on.

I simply prefer efficiency and little clutter in a forum. The smaller the clutter, the happier I am.

This includes anoyances like facebook/twitter/etc links for every post. Thankfully these forums only have them at the bottom of a page.

Ironically Protonix you do have a tad bit of self defeating going on here. Your forum sig is nice and small within the limits provided and still manages to be an amusing one that mimics a pretty fun advertising campaign while being that small. If you couldn't come up with something that managed to showcase that without making the sig larger you would have more to back the side calling for larger sigs.

Heck look at Canth's Caldera sig...acts as a nice footer that truncates the post without being obnoxious.

Zushakon said it best, less is more.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

I am admittedly pushing the signature limits of image size, lines, and links.

I like it where it is though to be honest. :) (spent a while messing with my image to make it just right haha)

PmnGhMD.jpg

í blóði er hefnd kvöl er ótta dýrð sorg ríkir