Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Assassins use In Combat

whisperblade

Hello all,

Even though its very early and its sketchy what the combat system will look like, I wanted to get some feedback on what you all think an assassins role will be in combat.

To me the obvious answer is you sneak up to someone and do a high amount of damage to kill them quickly.  But what is their role in larger scale battles?  Is it possible to maintain an element of surprise during the heightened awareness after a conflict has occured?

In my opinion, WOW did a terrible job of translating a rogue to PVE and with PVP it could also be improved.  I recall the extremely gimmicky lock picking in a few instances.  In Wow PVE, you simply snuck up, got behind your target and waiting for your entire raiding party to assemble and pull the mobs or boss while you waited in the shadows to attack.  

What if they added moral as a game mechanic to mobs?  In Wow, most mobs will fight to the death regardless of the odds.  There were a few instances where a mob might run away and alert others when the going got rough, but this was rare.  If they added moral to more intelligent mobs, low moral might cause the group to fight less effectively or even flee, then perhaps the value of an assassin would be to sneak into a group, kill off their leader.  If the mobs flees, in a sense this would be like AOE.

Another use would be for an assassin to scout for a party, identify the main targets, assess weaknesses of defenses, then report back to the party.  The data may be used to add modifiers or identify unknown targets for a more focussed attack.

Going against their namesake, assassins might also be used to rescue hostages, surgically kill a few of their captors, and get out.

Another use might be sabotage, where the assassin sneaks behind enemy lines and destroys ammunition, equipment, or food stores, even horses.  They might even try to poison food stores as well.

qa4qT1q.png

I'm more interested in their wings than their role, just as I'm more interested in Centaurs Cavalry aspect more than their tactician DPS whatever, and Guineceans unique race behaviors more than gunpowder.

Assassins can work however, but honestly, they may as well delete Fae from the game if their not going to deliver on all these wing teases.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I see a few uses for them.

The first being sneaking behind enemy lines in a large scale battle and picking off some of the glass canon classes, or at the very least causing enough of a disruption preventing them from just sitting on the back lines doling out tons of damage.

Another role might be them running around in gank squads picking off caravans.

Lastly, I could see them being used to manipulate someone into a trap.  Send a glass cannon off to the side, with a few stealthed (if this is a thing) assassins in tow.  Random enemy is not in the know, approaches the squishy for the easy kill, and ends up getting jumped by the hidden assassins.

I'm sure there are a lot of other uses, but those are just the few quick ones that came to mind.

[@--(o.O)@]

Assassin Tropes:

1. Super sneaky type never seen and does the dirty work/ information gathering for the hero/villain character in a book/movie 

2. John Wick/Professional type who is a bad bottom killer

3. Secret Agent type who (Golgo 13/Snake) can infiltrate bases and kill a specific target

4. Super sniper kill from a distance assassin 

I'm hoping the assassin archetypes promotion classes can fill 3 of the four. Number 4 maybe should be given to the ranger.

Edited by snissel

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

qa4qT1q.png

I'm more interested in their wings than their role, just as I'm more interested in Centaurs Cavalry aspect more than their tactician DPS whatever, and Guineceans unique race behaviors more than gunpowder.

Assassins can work however, but honestly, they may as well delete Fae from the game if their not going to deliver on all these wing teases.

The wings does offer a new take on "Death from above."  I'm looking forward to what they are going to do with this.  It's different.  I wonder what the range will be and whether we will even need horse mounts.

So far, all we've heard is that they only intend to allow gliding, despite almost all of her depictions advertising wings, so I'm just expecting disappointment.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Assassin Tropes:

1. Super sneaky type never seen and does the dirty work/ information gathering for the hero/villain character in a book/movie 

2. John Wick/Professional type who is a bad bottom killer

3. Secret Agent type who (Golgo 13/Snake) can infiltrate bases and kill a specific target

4. Super sniper kill from a distance assassin 

I'm hoping the assassin archetypes promotion classes can fill 3 of the four. Number 4 maybe should be given to the ranger.

I'm totally into 1-3, however 4 could get us Assassins into the fast nerf gun sites.

So far, all we've heard is that they only intend to allow gliding, despite almost all of her depictions advertising wings, so I'm just expecting disappointment.

As long as we have cool animation when landing then I'm down for that. We will be like stealth fighters maybe?

But will they have fingerless gloves or just the crappy fingered ones? You can't properly give someone the "shocker" with covered fingers!

What if the gloves are ribbed for her pleasure?

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

Invisible double jump glide... Hmm.

I'm not supportive of stealth invisibility either, but at least fairies have a practical identity for invisibility.

From what I read in their story they will be targeting all male characters and grow a collection of their targets manhoods.

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

Thinking back on my history, I can't think of many examples where classic "assassins" were directly involved in conflict.  There are plenty of examples where the threat of assassination cause a pontate or a general to change their actions.  However, this is very different from participating in a battle.

If I were trying to come up with something to model the assasins on, I would probably chose a special forces team (World War II British commandos or maybe something more modern).  A highly mobile, stealthy, heavy hitting force that is very good at seizing an objective, but doesn't necessarily have the staying power necessary to hold territory against a sustained attack.

WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

I think resources are underplayed in peoples early views on this game. The need for a constant stream of resources and crafters to turn them into gear is going to be mindblowing compared to current games.

Shadowbane thrust all of the crafting needs onto NPCs and ignored the resource aspect of the game. With this title, I see most people wasting downtime between sieges/fighting gathering resources in preparation of the next battle. Its during this time that assassins stand to be the most devastating. 

Its one thing keeping a large organization from collapsing due to internal pressures. Its even more challenging turning it into a cohesive fighting force. In Crowfall it'll be all about keeping that force fed and equipped. A great group of assassins in your guild could effectively stop your opponent from being properly supplied when the combat does begin.

I can envision a situation where a war is enevitable, but the attacking force prepares the week in advance by sending its stealthies out to hamper enemy gathering/crafting time. When the battle does start, the ability to reinforce and replace lost gear becomes that much more devastating. 

In the middle of a giant battle? I don't expect us to be all that useful except for picking off strays/reinforcements running back.

• 2 weeks later...

Sneaking into the backlines and sabotaging equipment sounds fantastic. I also think they should work great at punishing poorly positioned players, and I think assassins should be the best 1v1 characters in the game, because of course, their job is to assassinate a target, so they should be very good at it and have the tools for dropping a single target quickly, and tools for escaping after the job is done.

Given Archetypes are meant to fill specific niches, Assassins won't be likely to win on the front lines.

I'm guessing that, due to the apparent gliding they'll have access to via wings, Assassin's will be meant to find high positions away from the battlefield and glide over the fight to drop into the back lines and take out commanders and priority targets (like confessors charging up a meteor), like a real assassin. It'll require positioning, a discerning eye, and foresight to know where and when to set up and then who to kill.