Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ClockworkWetwork

Battlefield buff nodes at high stat thresholds

Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Spirit are the four stats we're looking at currently.

Imagine reaching a certain threshold level in a stat and you are able to interact with a buff areas.  Say 8/10 or whatever is determined for balance.  If you don't have enough of the stat, you can see that there is a node there but interacting with it does nothing for you.  Or, if you'd like to add surprise to its utility, you can't even see if unless you have the threshold - forcing  you to rely on your buddies to read the terrain with you.

For example, let's say you hit the threshold in Dexterity.  Now you could use speed nodes and when you ran through one, you would get a 3 second speed buff.

Strength might reveal crush points in rocks, trees, etc.  Having that much strength would allow you to, in so many chops, cut through a tree.  Throw a large rock for a one time ranged attack (1 min respawn timer?).  Punch a destructable point to to AoE damage.  Use a tree branch to soak a hit.

Intelligence would reveal ley line spots for casting bonus and Spirit could do something similar depending on what that stat even means.

This adds lightweight, interesting terrain consideration for battles.  A high Dex PC might want to hang out near the speed buff.  Teams might want to move their battle line to a buff point.

The suggestion is for buffs to be minor but interesting enough to like.  What do you think of battlefield buff nodes as an additional sprinkling tactical consideration?

I like this idea quite a bit. Having strategic battlefield features is good. Making them useful or even perceivable only to certain characters is even more fun.

Something like ley lines could be visible only to those with very high int, but might magnify casting for anyone who casts while in the zone whether they could see it or not- this would allow ley-blind characters to find the lines by experimentation or by having ley-sighted scouts look for them.

Good thinking. Welcome to the forums, and keep it up!

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

These buff nodes need to be 100% player created, and as long as they would be, this is an excellent idea!

The terrain interaction is pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to see too much respawn. After a few months I want the world to really feel the scars of battle and seasonal change.

I like getting buffs in the wild, but it should make rational sense.  A buff should come from a plant you discover, an "energetic node", or something that NPC's constructed.  Not just a floating quad damage, although an "energetic node" would be close to that.  I'd like to see creative buffs too, not just damage or run speed.  I want temporary weapons, or a size buff, or a buff that changes my appearance.  I just hope they don't include "silly" content that has no place in the world like santa suits, etc.

Edited by saludeen

I like the suggestion but I can also picture a scenario where players are "forced" to raise their statistics up to a fixed value all the time:

80 strength to get X buff, 70 agility for Y and so on, while having 75 strength or 65 agility just isn't an option anymore

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

frankly, no...just no.

You stated yourself up for a specific advantage, no point in putting buffs on the field to increase it all that much more and only those that already HAVE the advantage to be given more of one. 

I like the suggestion but I can also picture a scenario where players are "forced" to raise their statistics up to a fixed value all the time:

80 strength to get X buff, 70 agility for Y and so on, while having 75 strength or 65 agility just isn't an option anymore

This is yet another reason, it destroys any idea of actually having control over your character's stat alocation.

Then let us have a look at the inverse, the people who need the buffs are those UNDER the thresh hold, that put them up to the thresh hold. 

Now, having points where if you are over the thresh hold it lets you do something...like say you need 75 strength to be able to throw boulders or something...that is fine. But no BUFFS. The fact you have a high stat IS your buff already. 

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."