Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ducem

Who gets to loot?

This is a very bad idea, I don't like this. I really hope the game doesn't turn out to be like that. We should be helping each other out, not stabbing eachother in the back. Posts like these are what makes the community so toxic, I really hope you start making good positive posts to atone for all your bad ones mister.

I can't believe someone actually thought this was a serious post.

If you ask me, loot is just some poorly made socks on the ground, so if you're fighting someone else after killing an enemy, and some other player comes by and takes your poorly made socks, well tough breasts Tammy.

I think this is a tricky topic that has to be looked at carefully. You'll have one side of the fence that wants FFA loot, whoever gets it first etc. While this is more of an old school form of loot, this does not appeal to the masses. You can argue this point, but the games with the largest player bases have the hand holding loot systems.

Being a PvP oriented game it has some luxury to be more brutal (as noted by different campaigns), but you have to realize the more elitist you make the loot system, the more it turns off the masses preventing the company from money and inevitably, more content.

So before we pull a super elite approach, think about the larger player base and what works well for the majority of people. That will generally spell the most success for all.  At least, this is my opinion and experience from playing MMOs since NWN on AOL.  :P

Edited by zephel

It's already been made clear that only inventory will be lootable, not equipped gear. Said gear will only degrade in durability, later to be repaired by a crafter at the cost of a loss of it's overall durability.

Inventory is the stuff you keep in your bags, like the ore you just mined or the feathers you just plucked from the still warm body of that innocent chicken, it's blood dripping from your hands and teeth after you savagely ripped open it's throat like a rabid animal. You get my point and I think it needs to be remembered because honestly it seems the whole mixing of the two is what is causing a lot of confusion.

Edit: I will point out, however, that on certain rulesets it seems that even equipped gear will be lootable or have a percentage chance to be so when you die. Something to also bare in mind.

I was actually not aware of this. I have a feeling that a lot of other people just assumed that everything was constantly lootable all the time.

I think I prefer this just because having to have a ton of back-up armor sets would be kind of annoying. Durability loss on death seems a lot less annoying but will still be a pretty substantial penalty most likely.

I think this is a tricky topic that has to be looked at carefully. You'll have one side of the fence that wants FFA loot, whoever gets it first etc. While this is more of an old school form of loot, this does not appeal to the masses. You can argue this point, but the games with the largest player bases have the hand holding loot systems.

Being a PvP oriented game it has some luxury to be more brutal (as noted by different campaigns), but you have to realize the more elitist you make the loot system, the more it turns off the masses preventing the company from money and inevitably, more content.

So before we pull a super elite approach, think about the larger player base and what works well for the majority of people. That will generally spell the most success for all.  At least, this is my opinion and experience from playing MMOs since NWN on AOL.  :P

In my humble opinion....you are wrong. There is only one clear choice here when emergent gameplay is at the foremost of goals.

Edited by KRIPTIK

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

If you aren't happy with who got the loot - kill them...

People seem to love to say things like this but don't realize that the person that stole your loot could be on your faction in certain campaign rule sets.

That would be incredibly annoying to be a ranged character and have some dude just come by and snake your loot while you run to the corpse, then have no recourse because he's on your faction.

In my humble opinion....you are wrong. There is only one clear choice here when emergent gameplay is at the foremost of goals.

And of course everyone is entitled to their opinion! But you neglected to mention what your clear choice is...

Edited by zephel

This is exactly the wrong argument to make to this developer team. ACE is not at all interested in softening their game in order to attract more people. They are deliberately making a game without the hand holding necessary for mass market appeal, in order to more strongly attract the unserved market of players who don't want their hands held.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

This is exactly the wrong argument to make to this developer team. ACE is not at all interested in softening their game in order to attract more people. They are deliberately making a game without the hand holding necessary for mass market appeal, in order to more strongly attract the unserved market of players who don't want their hands held.

Fair enough, but why then are there campaigns that have much less harsh penalties if it is a dog eat dog world? It's not that I'm disagreeing with you, but it seems that's contradictory to your statement.

Edited by zephel

Free for all looting has proven to work in Darkfall.  It can work in Crowfall too...

I don't want to see an artificial game mechanic that spreads around loot evenly between players in a party.  This isn't World of Warcraft here.

If you think your clanmates are hogging the loot, you should have the option to kill them and see if they really did.  

People seem to love to say things like this but don't realize that the person that stole your loot could be on your faction in certain campaign rule sets.

That would be incredibly annoying to be a ranged character and have some dude just come by and snake your loot while you run to the corpse, then have no recourse because he's on your faction.

Friendly Fire was confirmed, so anything goes ;-P

jus kidding by the way

Edited by Silkhe

Fair enough, but why then are there campaigns that have much less harsh penalties if it is a dog eat dog world? It's not that I'm disagreeing with you, but it seems that's contradictory to your statement.

If we're going to talk about the differences between bands then we shouldn't be arguing for softer rules gamewide. Yes, it's a fair point that the outer campaign bands will have different rules from the inner bands, and may well need different looting rules as a consequence, but that's a very different conversation from "Crowfall as a game needs friendly looting rules in order to attract players."

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I would start with group loot going first to the group that did the most damage.  A person solo in this case is a group of 1.  Let the group leader have some toggles/options for how group loot is disbursed.  This is not only fair, but will speed things along.

HOWEVER, if the body sits for more than, say 1 min, it becomes free-for-all loot.  This is prevent loot-lag bodies everywhere, and if people are wanting to get loot from the kills, they have to spend some effort to do it or it goes to the crows!

I believe what you drop when you die is based on the rulesets per campaign.

I would start with group loot going first to the group that did the most damage.  A person solo in this case is a group of 1.  Let the group leader have some toggles/options for how group loot is disbursed.  This is not only fair, but will speed things along.

HOWEVER, if the body sits for more than, say 1 min, it becomes free-for-all loot.  This is prevent loot-lag bodies everywhere, and if people are wanting to get loot from the kills, they have to spend some effort to do it or it goes to the crows!

I believe what you drop when you die is based on the rulesets per campaign.

I like that plan quite a bit, though there's one slight flaw: most damage. This would make support and defender roles less desirable for loot gain. The algorithm would probably have to be a bit more complex than largest amount of raw damage wins, but otherwise yeah. :)

I like that plan quite a bit, though there's one slight flaw: most damage. This would make support and defender roles less desirable for loot gain. The algorithm would probably have to be a bit more complex than largest amount of raw damage wins, but otherwise yeah. :)

Agree.  Usually a mix of damage taken should also be thrown in.  Support will provide either damage mitigation or enhancement in some (all-be-it often) indirect fashion.

This would make support and defender roles less desirable for loot gain.

Wouldn't your support be in the same group as the people they're supporting?

Tully

Wouldn't your support be in the same group as the people they're supporting?

And if the people you are supporting are not sharing the loot then consider supporting someone else.

IhhQKY6.gif