Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannibal man

State of the Off-Topic Forums v1.5

I keep hoping I'm going to be making one of these to congratulate ACE and Pann on slowly easing into a system that will generate a more fluid, robust community. Silly notion that is, hah. Anyway, astounding movement in the opposite direction of where we need to be going is about the best way I can sum up what I'm about to lay down on you guys.

In the past, I've talked about how the system can be improved with my threads, and they have always been greeted with great fanfare. Which of course sees me having like a 50% locked thread ratio or something crazy. I'll try to avoid mentioning my last State of the OT for that exact reason.

These past few months I've slowly watched the OT community die here. We see like one or two threads a day now if we're lucky. But now these new moderators are locking and deleting everything that is made here it seems. So what little activity we have around these parts is being slowly muffled and choked to death by a system that seems is intent on seeing us die, No profanity, no freedom to post truly off-topic topics, and a moderation rule-set that seems out to get us. As many of you know, I've been threatened with a perma-ban multiple times at this point, but I just don't see how this community will be worth being a part of if it continues down it's current trajectory. So whatever, I'll either lose the 30 bucks i spent buying the game or walk away with a better product because of this thread. Or worse yet, maybe they'll just ignore me.

So the way I see it, ACE can continue to see activity slacken off, or follow other gaming forums' successes and re-create these boards into something special:

- We need this profanity filter out of here. This is a PVP game where mostly adults are going to play. Competition will NOT thrive or be as strong as it possibly could be if this simple rule is not changed. And the fact there is a censor is even more ridiculous haha. On top of that, this is the OT boards FFS.

-ACE's core future players right now are hardcore PvPers. This is a fact. There are some RPers and care bears lurking around, but they hardly contribute to anything anymore. So ACE can either continue to pander to the minority, or continue to lose their die hard fans that'll be with them through thick and thin. And hardcore pvpers flock to generally three types of boards in a gaming forum. The OT section, the guild section, and a PVP videos section. Obviously the videos section is out the window considering the game isn't out yet, but that does not mean ACE can't start setting the right system in place now!

-As mentioned before, we need the freedom to create. Of course I don't want to see anything ridiculous, but how are a few political or trolly topics going to hurt? They WILL increase activity. They WILL appease a vocal group such as me and my fellow brothers. They WILL make people fall in love with these boards again.

-The forums need to be seen as a whole entire addition to the game. Because whether you like it or not, it is exactly that. In fact, the forums will be more important than many of your core features that you spend serious money on. That's just the fact of life and truth of what forums have become in modern day gaming. So you can either do this the right way where the forums compliment the game. Or just have a Yes-man system in place that nobody bothers with and seriously detracts away from the whole experience.

Before I finish, i just wanna talk about the small changes they've put in place for the forum that they're so excited about. Adding more moderators from the community and hiring Pann are great moves. But they mean nothing if there isn't a quality board for us to be a part of. poorly made socks, I'll be the rebel and say I actually like Pann somewhat. She's busted me a few times for stupid stuff, but she always emailed me and gave me huge wall of texts that made it seem she liked me in some sort of weird black sheep kind of way. Anyway, It wouldn't take much to make this community the envy of other gaming boards out there is all I really got to say.

This was kind've created spur of the moment unlike my other past state of the forums threads due to the fact that I felt the community needed this thread here and now. Having said that, I will probably add stuff to this OP as time progresses.

Here's my State of the Guild Forum Section: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6598-state-of-the-guild-forum-section/

Edited by cannibal man

Cannibal Man - Future serial killer

I can't even.  You win, I am done with this part of the discussion.

This is a pretty respectful thread to be honest. I would love to see some open dialogue of ideas to come to some sort of common ground. The vindictiveness of both sides really needs to stop and soon before everything implodes.

I agree on so many levels.

You wouldn't believe the amount of times I had to back-space some vulgar language though, haha.

I keep hoping I'm going to be making one of these to congratulate ACE and Pann on slowly easing into a system that will generate a more fluid, robust community. Silly notion that is, hah. Anyway, astounding movement in the opposite direction of where we need to be going is about the best way I can sum up what I'm about to lay down on you guys.

In the past, I've talked about how the system can be improved with my threads, and they have always been greeted with great fanfare. Which of course sees me having like a 50% locked thread ratio or something crazy. I'll try to avoid mentioning my last State of the OT for that exact reason.

These past few months I've slowly watched the OT community die here. We see like one or two threads a day now if we're lucky. But now these new moderators are locking and deleting everything that is made here it seems. So what little activity we have around these parts is being slowly muffled and choked to death by a system that seems is intent on seeing us die, No profanity, no freedom to post truly off-topic topics, and a moderation rule-set that seems out to get us. As many of you know, I've been threatened with a perma-ban multiple times at this point, but I just don't see how this community will be worth being a part of if it continues down it's current trajectory. So whatever, I'll either lose the 30 bucks i spent buying the game or walk away with a better product because of this thread. Or worse yet, maybe they'll just ignore me.

So the way I see it, ACE can continue to see activity slacken off, or follow other gaming forums' successes and re-create these boards into something special:

- We need this profanity filter out of here. This is a PVP game where mostly adults are going to play. Competition will NOT thrive or be as strong as it possibly could be if this simple rule is not changed. And the fact there is a censor is even more ridiculous haha. On top of that, this is the OT boards FFS.

-ACE's core future players right now are hardcore PvPers. This is a fact. There are some RPers and care bears lurking around, but they hardly contribute to anything anymore. So ACE can either continue to pander to the minority, or continue to lose their die hard fans that'll be with them through thick and thin. And hardcore pvpers flock to generally three types of boards in a gaming forum. The OT section, the guild section, and a PVP videos section. Obviously the videos section is out the window considering the game isn't out yet, but that does not mean ACE can't start setting the right system in place now!

-As mentioned before, we need the freedom to create. Of course I don't want to see anything ridiculous, but how are a few political or trolly topics going to hurt? They WILL increase activity. They WILL appease a vocal group such as me and my fellow brothers. They WILL make people fall in love with these boards again.

-The forums need to be seen as a whole entire addition to the game. Because whether you like it or not, it is exactly that. In fact, the forums will be more important than many of your core features that you spend serious money on. That's just the fact of life and truth of what forums have become in modern day gaming. So you can either do this the right way where the forums compliment the game. Or just have a Yes-man system in place that nobody bothers with and seriously detracts away from the whole experience.

Before I finish, i just wanna talk about the small changes they've put in place for the forum that they're so excited about. Adding more moderators from the community and hiring Pann are great moves. But they mean nothing if there isn't a quality board for us to be a part of. poorly made socks, I'll be the rebel and say I actually like Pann somewhat. She's busted me a few times for stupid stuff, but she always emailed me and gave me huge wall of texts that made it seem she liked me in some sort of weird black sheep kind of way. Anyway, It wouldn't take much to make this community the envy of other gaming boards out there is all I really got to say.

This was kind've created spur of the moment unlike my other past state of the forums threads due to the fact that I felt the community needed this thread here and now. Having said that, I will probably add stuff to this OP as time progresses.

Here's my State of the Guild Forum Section: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6598-state-of-the-guild-forum-section/

The forums were always going to get less active after they revealed so much of their vision but still had months before any testing actually would begin.

The forums should be used for helping them to build the game, no need for profanity for such a purpose.

The game isn't geared to any 1 type of player, as we can see by many of the features they have planned.  Different bands, different rulesets for different playstyles, EK etc etc. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I was hoping by this stage in the forumfall game we would appear to be more of a "unified" community instead of a divided one.  Seems to me we have gone back to day 1 of the forums and the same "fights' are occurring all over again.    This post reflects the thoughts of many of us and i applaud his courage to speak of things that we simply are now hesistant to speak on.   +1

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I was hoping by this stage in the forumfall game we would appear to be more of a "unified" community instead of a divided one.  Seems to me we have gone back to day 1 of the forums and the same "fights' are occurring all over again.    This post reflects the thoughts of many of us and i applaud his courage to speak of things that we simply are now hesistant to speak on.   +1

I'm not sure that allowing hostile posting is going to help unify the community.  The "fights" occurring over and over again are what some people are here for, and giving them the freedom they want won't change that.  It will just make it more ugly.

IhhQKY6.gif

The forums were always going to get less active after they revealed so much of their vision but still had months before any testing actually would begin.

The forums should be used for helping them to build the game, no need for profanity for such a purpose.

The game isn't geared to any 1 type of player, as we can see by many of the features they have planned.  Different bands, different rulesets for different playstyles, EK etc etc. 

Glad to see you missed the whole point.

I'm not sure that allowing hostile posting is going to help unify the community.  The "fights" occurring over and over again are what some people are here for, and giving them the freedom they want won't change that.  It will just make it more ugly.

i routinely type custard anyhow and not the actual profanity word. ya know, just being a raptor just in case.

If you associate profanity and trolly threads with being hostile, I am truly, truly sorry.

My thoughts are that we should be provided with a separate PvP forum, not just the payed invitation only unmodded one that has been proposed either.

PvP is not synonymous with posting good vibe "hail fellow well met" type of posts. Combat discussion should have more freedom to openly discuss and a good sense of humor helps when the blood pressure rises. 

I sincerely hope that the CM and ACE can see their way clear to provide a safe haven for both of the communities they are trying to attract here.

Edited by ozzie mozzie

288mqgz.png

I might get down to business and propose a new CoC later this evening. I think you will find it fair and reasonable. Just a little less corporate feel for an indie studio would be lovely.

Nice thought but IMO a waste of time seeing as a new CoC is already being worked on by Pann and team.

I associate unfriendly and antagonistic threads with being hostile,  Sorry if that makes you sorry.

Think the question remains, what is considered friendly.   Is having a dissenting opinion and voicing it ( w/o personal attack , ofc ) being unfriendly?   I seem to think, and ofc I am prob incorrect, that an idea can be disputed, in a forum discussing game mechanics, etc, without having to walk on egg shells and having to think about each word as you type it to make sure NO ONE is offended.   People have different ideas.  Differing ideas and opinions are NOT antogonist.  Only if you take them/ make them such.

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"