Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannibal man

State of the Off-Topic Forums v1.5

Nice thought but IMO a waste of time seeing as a new CoC is already being worked on by Pann and team.

Not sure why ideas to foster a fun and reasonable community here is a bad thing. I suppose I shouldn't share my opinions on game topics as well?

Edited by Adall

I don't think additional input on a matter is something that should be discarded so easily.

Not sure why ideas to foster a fun and reasonable community here is a bad thing. I suppose I shouldn't share my opinions on game topics as well?

Input is fine but maybe see whats in the new CoC first.

Edited by pang

Reopening the thread. Keep it constructive and on-topic, please. 

Language filter - It was established before I was here. Obviously, it's what the founders wanted. 

Guild forums - Gordon has mentioned them, but even I don't know the particulars yet. I promise, no one wants them more than I do. =) 

CoC revisions - This is a legal document being drawn up by lawyers. We can't crowdsource it. 

Trolling - I had a conversation with Gordon about this very recently. Here are his exact words to me: "“Little name calling escalates into big name calling. You know this.” 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

“Little name calling escalates into big name calling. You know this.” 

I have to disagree with this :)

not every argument leads to war.

Keep people in check - definately

silence them completely - not that good an idea

And also remember, some people respond better to the carrot than the stick.

Edited by freeze

Think the question remains, what is considered friendly.   Is having a dissenting opinion and voicing it ( w/o personal attack , ofc ) being unfriendly?   I seem to think, and ofc I am prob incorrect, that an idea can be disputed, in a forum discussing game mechanics, etc, without having to walk on egg shells and having to think about each word as you type it to make sure NO ONE is offended.   People have different ideas.  Differing ideas and opinions are NOT antogonist.  Only if you take them/ make them such.

I don't think that is the question at all.  We are clearly allowed to voice our dissenting opinions on this forum. Nobody is claiming that dissenting opinions are unfriendly or antagonistic simply because they are different.

Some people seem to be actively campaigning to be allowed to be foul-mouthed and antagonistic on the forums.  That is not the same thing as defending the right to voice differing opinions.

IhhQKY6.gif

I'm not a hardcore PvPer, but I post at an above average rate.

I've loved the profanity filter since day one. It's not like we don't know what you're saying. The intent and message remain, despite the words used.

That said, I have no problem with having one forum dedicated to being the wild west. I just won't likely go in there without a good reason.

That said, lawyers will have a problem with that. Especially today. The world isn't what it was in 2000. There are a lot more eggshells scattered on the ground, for some stupid reason.

Long story short, it won't happen. Lawyers are already involved. Lawyers = the end of "fun".

Sorry folks.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Trolling - I had a conversation with Gordon about this very recently. Here are his exact words to me: "“Little name calling escalates into big name calling. You know this.” 

So............pretty much as you as you have said before "semantics" .  The idea is bad , not the person with the idea.   But, that being said, many ideas are discussed where the person who presented them is "insulted"  that no one likes that idea.  And hence, reports, escalation, etc.

I guess in a forum with such a diverse player base , there are always going to be the issue of where the line lies that can not be crossed.

I personally would like to hear moar about where you and the dev team see the forum fitting into your over all game play for CF.

IMO, debate can not be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.   It's PvP for the All Fathers sake.  I for one am very confused by the direction of the forum and how it will equate and translate over to game experience.  I am sure I am not alone.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

What I have always seen the Off Topic forums become is a place where people could interact how they chose to (without flaming, trolling, antagonizing, berrating, ect).  What that means is threads can discuss whatever for as long as they want and cover as many topics as they want.  Picture replies and GIF replies are acceptable because... it's humorous and sarcastic and witty (and sometimes more polite than what someone might actually say).

Off Topic is the place where people don't go if they don't want to participate in those conversations and where moderation is just ever so slightly less picky about following the exact letter of the law.

That's what I thought the off topic was, but as it stands the rules cover the forum in entirety and thus I'd be supportive of some minor changes in how the OT is handled.

CoC revisions - This is a legal document being drawn up by lawyers. We can't crowdsource it.

I was told a little different when it comes to the forums. I am sure the game CoC needs some good lawyering, but the forum rules don't have to fall under the same guidelines typically. That was all I meant by drawing up a CoC, one for the forum rules specifically. Sorry for any confusion on that :)

Edited by Adall

I was told a little different when it comes to the forums. I am sure the game CoC needs some good lawyering, but the forum rules don't have to fall under the same guidelines typically. That was all I meant by drawing up a CoC, one for the forum rules specifically. Sorry for any confusion on that :)

Well if what they said before about, forum ban = game ban then I would think the CoC should be as similar as possible.

What I have always seen the Off Topic forums become is a place where people could interact how they chose to (without flaming, trolling, antagonizing, berrating, ect).  What that means is threads can discuss whatever for as long as they want and cover as many topics as they want.  Picture replies and GIF replies are acceptable because... it's humorous and sarcastic and witty (and sometimes more polite than what someone might actually say).

Off Topic is the place where people don't go if they don't want to participate in those conversations and where moderation is just ever so slightly less picky about following the exact letter of the law.

That's what I thought the off topic was, but as it stands the rules cover the forum in entirety and thus I'd be supportive of some minor changes in how the OT is handled.

I agree with this so much. In our meme driven culture it's absolutely bizarre for an off-topic forum to not allow animated pictures as replies. The off-topic forum should be very loosely moderated aside from keeping a level of civility. People should be able to express themselves and be silly here of all places. 

ncLez59.png

My thoughts are that we should be provided with a separate PvP forum, not just the payed invitation only unmodded one that has been proposed either.

PvP is not synonymous with posting good vibe "hail fellow well met" type of posts. Combat discussion should have more freedom to openly discuss and a good sense of humor helps when the blood pressure rises. 

I sincerely hope that the CM and ACE can see their way clear to provide a safe haven for both of the communities they are trying to attract here.

Haven't read the entire thread I only made it to this post and it made me think of what J. Todd said about both sides had to have a bit of understanding. Well when the overwhelmingly obvious direction of the forum is towards just one of those groups intentional or not you are sending a clear message of preference.

Edited by KRIPTIK

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

I don't think that is the question at all.  We are clearly allowed to voice our dissenting opinions on this forum. Nobody is claiming that dissenting opinions are unfriendly or antagonistic simply because they are different.

Some people seem to be actively campaigning to be allowed to be foul-mouthed and antagonistic on the forums.  That is not the same thing as defending the right to voice differing opinions.

WE are not YOU WE have had dissenting opinions erased from THIS forum.

Haven't read the entire thread I only made it to this post and it made me think of what J. Todd said about both sides had to have a bit of understanding. Well when the overwhelmingly obvious direction of the forum is towards just one of those groups intentional or not you are sending a clear message of preference.

Well thing is I don't think their intention was simply for different communities to co-exist. I would think their goal is that we all meld into a new community, the Crowfall community.  If there's an issue that I could point at and say that's why there's so much discord is that I think one side of the equation just wants to keep to themselves and not intermingle with others. So until some drop their baggage and move on I think we're going to keep seeing people run afoul with the law so to speak.

Reopening the thread. Keep it constructive and on-topic, please. 

Language filter - It was established before I was here. Obviously, it's what the founders wanted. 

Guild forums - Gordon has mentioned them, but even I don't know the particulars yet. I promise, no one wants them more than I do. =) 

CoC revisions - This is a legal document being drawn up by lawyers. We can't crowdsource it. 

I wont argue the rule of escalation but what I debate is "Is name calling ok for adults" and "are you required to protect people from the internet". There actually

IS a type of moral conduct enforcement that users bring down upon each other. Maybe you should watch Ralf's vids.

Well thing is I don't think their intention was simply for different communities to co-exist. I would think their goal is that we all meld into a new community, the Crowfall community.  If there's an issue that I could point at and say that's why there's so much discord is that I think one side of the equation just wants to keep to themselves and not intermingle with others. So until some drop their baggage and move on I think we're going to keep seeing people run afoul with the law so to speak.

NOPE we were literally told to go set up a forum somewhere else for ourselves. HELLO SLACK

That baggage though meh.   The way I see it, ONE side has been more than willing to intermingle.  ANOTHER side wants what they have always had, and STILL has to this day, btw.   See if you can figure out which one is which.   A Crowfall Community would be wonderful!   I thought we were forming that during KS'er...........now I just don't know. :(

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

This isn't a PvE vs. PvP crowd issue directly.

I play both games just fine, but I can have a crass personality at times. I am okay with who I am. There are posters who freak about people like me existing and want us gone forever because they cannot handle it. I sit here and get along with them just fine. Some people need to work harder to get along, and it isn't me.

I would grab a beer or tea with any of you... even psyctooth or vikingnail.