Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannibal man

State of the Off-Topic Forums v1.5

Well the fact that we are still talking sides and counting ourselves among those sides says it all.   Shouldn't matter what game we played before or how the forum was run where you came from. This is Crowfall now, should be here to help ACE get the game to launch, no idea why its gotta be difficult to figure out.

@valor, not dismissing anything, simply trying to state that this should in fact be a new community. Not one based on past games or past forums. I just think too many came here thinking because who the Devs were and what games they made that meant that this new forum had to be run a certain way or "riot".

I guess you just don't get it still. If the forum is like THIS crap it is already that means they weed out all the people that want to make a game WE would love. Which means any ideas/criticisms for this game would have to come from little bundles of sunshine and rainbows like yourself. That means have fun playing with yourselves.

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

VN maybe your type should go find another forum. I mean that's what your saying to us.

I have no problem with ACE having standard rules, trying to keep their forums civil and trying to focus on developing their game, so that doesn't really make sense to me. 

If I want to discuss the game and design ideas within it I come to the official forums, and if I need to be more vulgar I go to other places. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I guess you just don't get it still. If the forum is like THIS crap it is already that means they weed out all the people that want to make a game WE would love. Which means any ideas/criticisms for this game would have to come from little bundles of sunshine and rainbows like yourself. That means have fun playing with yourselves.

Well maybe if you weren't busy playing victim you could give feedback as well. Doesn't matter how strict or lenient the rules are, it doesn't hamper ones ability to talk about the game. Don't need to use profanity, poorly made socks post or condescend to give feedback about gameplay and mechanics. Sorry if you and others feel that you need to but right now its about making the game. Will have plenty of time to play little forum games when the game is launched.

Edited by pang

Pang and vn you are not obligated to visit every section of this forum if one offends you stay away. The issue is not that we want toxicity. We do not. The point is who is deciding what is toxicity and what isn't. @VN ofc you have no problem with the way ace is running things its right in line with your thoughts/ideals. If it wasn't you would be me right now.  And @pang maybe if you saw all the removed posts and their content you would understand that profanity and toxicity are FAR from all that was snipped. Without that and the freedom to talk about it im afraid you guys will go on forever thinking were just jerks who wanted to swear but couldn't but left and we will think of you as pan-trooper kissbutt yesmen who just want someone to scratch you behind the ear. 

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

Pang and vn you are not obligated to visit every section of this forum if one offends you stay away. The issue is not that we want toxicity. We do not. The point is who is deciding what is toxicity and what isn't. @VN ofc you have no problem with the way ace is running things its right in line with your thoughts/ideals. If it wasn't you would be me right now.  And @pang maybe if you saw all the removed posts and their content you would understand that profanity and toxicity are FAR from all that was snipped. Without that and the freedom to talk about it im afraid you guys will go on forever thinking were just jerks who wanted to swear but couldn't but left and we will think of you as pan-trooper kissbutt yesmen who just want someone to scratch you behind the ear. 

I like how you assume you are the spokesperson for some sort of group within this forum. 

You need to calm down friend. This is Artcraft's house.... their rules. I tend to agree though that the Off-Topic section is for "Off-Topic" and it shouldn't be related to the game however that is not my choice. We do have the option to create a separate forum where we can post anything we want. Lets keep it respectful and civil. I have had a thread remove and received disciplinary action. I accept it.

Kriptik when you start trying to throw your weight around on the web it doesn't help in anyway for your voice and the rest of your "group"

Their house... their rules.

Remember they are they ones who ultimately decides what the game turns out to be. If you don't like it and feel like the game is being made for carebears then what is stopping you from learning code, putting together a team, and fund with a kickstarter. Just remember... you need to be able to attract an audience and I don't think using profanity or the disrespect you have shown will help you get a loyal base.

Edited by Vitalized

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

What you guys aren't realizing is that it isn't about being vulgar, or rude, or outright hostile. Rather it's about growing the community. And not only growing the community, but fostering it. You guys act as if the forum and community are destined to die til the game is released. And every time you post something like this, I laugh a little.

I've been a part of communities where many of the people that were active in it thought the game was vaporware until it was actually released. What kept them around, and not only around, but actively posting on the boards? The freedom to be themselves.

You can sit in your little rigid box telling us to get out, but the fact is we probably outnumber you, we are more active than you, and we are probably more heavily invested in this than you. And even though we have the numbers, we aren't actively going around and forcing our ideals on you like you are trying to do to us. And to add icing to the cake, you guys ARE the ones saying you're acting like adults. Please.

There needs to be a middleground, let OT be that. That is the essence of OT after all; to allow more freedom than the rest of the boards. Period.

Although the fact that I'm saying OT should be the middleground is despicable. In Star Wars terms, GD should be the light side, OT should be the dark side, and the Guild forums should be the middleground where the two sides have to deal with each other. But I digress, anything at this point would be a blessing.

Edited by cannibal man

Cannibal Man - Future serial killer

I can't even.  You win, I am done with this part of the discussion.

I said as much back when many of these decisions were being announced and I still believe that full support for the entirety of the CF community will come from player ran sites/forums.  Some may disagree with that decision, but that's not a bad thing.

The only way I'll fully become a part of a CF fan forum that better fits the way things should be done, is if the devs put a link up on their website for it and here in the official forums somewhere. And on top of that, I want them to post News and Announcement there as well.

We shouldn't have to exile ourselves, that's ridiculous.

Edited by cannibal man

I've got a right to use this section like everyone else, perhaps stop telling people how and where they can post. There's also the ignore function if you don't want too see opinions from others you don't like, I've used it as well it works great IMO. Its clear ACE decides, its their site their rules. I'm here almost everyday and yes I see a lot of the stuff that gets removed and its warranted within the CoC, including personal attacks on members that don't line up with your agenda to poorly made socks post.

Again you have all the freedom you need to help ACE make the game and give feedback and talk about it. Have yet to illustrate how your ability to give feedback and talk about the actual game is being hindered. Having gifs, troll posts and personal insults removed has nothing to do with the game and your ability to talk about it productively.

So again perhaps if some spent more time outside the off-topic section and not being martyrs you'd find there is tons of constructive and productive discussion going on about the game. Basically, relax and join in.

So again perhaps if some spent more time outside the off-topic section and not being martyrs you'd find there is tons of constructive and productive discussion going on about the game. Basically, relax and join in.

There actually is. I know because my ideas get shot down faster than a fat man lathered in butter getting shot through a tube at a water park. That's okay though cuz I try to put up a valiant defense. Nothing is stopping you from trying to help in the actual game development.

I don't see why you guys are talking about game development, this is the Off-Topic section. Go home to GD if you wanna talk about that crap.

And better yet, stop filling my thread with that filth.

Edited by cannibal man

I don't see why you guys are talking about game development, this is the Off-Topic section. Go home to GD if you wanna talk about that crap.

Lol sorry. I kinda lost what the point of this thread is anyway. What is it?

I 100% agree that the off-topic and what happens here should have nothing to do with the actual game.

The state of the off-topic section doesn't prohibit one from constructively posting in the GD section is what I've been saying. So good luck to you and your fellows in getting a better off-topic environment for your needs.

I was told a little different when it comes to the forums. 

Disclaimer: I have typed this three different ways and it always looks snarky. Please know that's not how it's supposed to sound. I have a legitimate question. 

I keep hearing about what was promised and that people feel like they were misled, but I have not been able to find the source. Can you please throw me a link to a quote? Whatever it was, it happened before I got here, and I am totally in the dark about it. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

Disclaimer: I have typed this three different ways and it always looks snarky. Please know that's not how it's supposed to sound. I have a legitimate question. 

I keep hearing about what was promised and that people feel like they were misled, but I have not been able to find the source. Can you please throw me a link to a quote? Whatever it was, it happened before I got here, and I am totally in the dark about it. 

That doesn't sound snarky at all, Pann.

Well, I sincerely hope that what I will write here is perceived as constructive and not as an open, unwanted criticism. But during the last weeks I felt that the forums have been heavily over-moderated of some sorts and I rarely post anything because of that. Maybe an experienced community manager like Pann can answer that - but in my opinion just because something is written down in the Rules of Conduct it doesn't necessarily mean that it absolutely has to be enforced all the time. I personally think that locking and deleting threads, suspending or banning members of the community should be used as a measure of last resort and not as a preemptive strike. With all those new moderators that may or may not have any experience in moderating a forum on the internet whatsoever I have the feeling that things got a little bit too trigger-happy around here.

I understand that everybody wants to do a great job as a Moderator but in my opinion actually moderating demands a little more sensibility than enforcing every single paragraph of the RoC waaay before anything derails at all.

"Kansas City Shuffle - When everybody looks right, you go left."

Well, I sincerely hope that what I will write here is perceived as constructive and not as an open, unwanted criticism. But during the last weeks I felt that the forums have been heavily over-moderated of some sorts and I rarely post anything because of that. Maybe an experienced community manager like Pann can answer that - but in my opinion just because something is written down in the Rules of Conduct it doesn't necessarily mean that it absolutely has to be enforced all the time. I personally think that locking and deleting threads, suspending or banning members of the community should be used as a measure of last resort and not as a preemptive strike. With all those new moderators that may or may not have any experience in moderating a forum on the internet whatsoever I have the feeling that things got a little bit too trigger-happy around here.

I understand that everybody wants to do a great job as a Moderator but in my opinion actually moderating demands a little more sensibility than enforcing every single paragraph of the RoC waaay before anything derails at all.

From my point of view the mods were doing a fine job... the issue I believe you witnessed is that some people may be on a shorter leash because they are intentionally trying to bend or break the rules.  So while something may be perceived as heavy-handed from the outside, there is a history behind it that often justifies the reason for it. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

From my point of view the mods were doing a fine job... the issue I believe you witnessed is that some people may be on a shorter leash because they are intentionally trying to bend or break the rules.  So while something may be perceived as heavy-handed from the outside, there is a history behind it that often justifies the reason for it. 

I absolutely agree. I don't read like every post that is written here on the board (also several of them are deleted like... real quick) so indeed, it is just a perception. But a more or less common bad perception is actually... part of the problem, don't you think?

"Kansas City Shuffle - When everybody looks right, you go left."