Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silencer for arrows?

snissel

Assassination arrows, would need shortcomings, wonder what the other arrows advantage would be?

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

This would be awesome for the ranger, but not for the game.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

This would be awesome for the ranger, but not for the game.

Maybe it has a 10 minute cooldown period but that would mean what arrow types you have kind of determines what skills you have. Maybe a low chance proc on a crafted weapon would be better.

Edited by snissel

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

Cool idea, I could see it being a long cooldown type of ability or an occasional proc, maybe some kind of high talent tree ability. Might be too overpowered otherwise.

So, every so often, you'd want a ranger (ranged combat which has a natural advantage over melee) who is sneaking around in stealth (+advantage) to be able to position themselves wherever they want before launching out an attack from range that doesn't reveal where they are, yet does damage to their target.

That's like a melee archetype requesting an ability to trigger every so often that automatically teleports them to the nearest stealth enemy and pops them out of stealth.

It might sound cool to that archetype, but to a stealth person having 20 people trigger that out of a group of 100-200 people would effectively render them useless.  Scalability of skills is always the consideration when talking about "this would be cool".  If a ranger got that skill/ability/ect, then believe that 20-30 people would roam around and spike targets without ever popping out of stealth and with almost zero risk.

For some reason I pictured something really ludicrous like an archer shooting through a pillow strapped to the bow, cause that would totally be legit.

I'm trying to mull scenarios around in my head that don't make it broken, but still allow it to be fun. Maybe high risk type scenarios where it leaves you very vulnerable, and limits your shots/skills? Not sure...

• 2 weeks later...

I can really only say this:

Arrows are generally already pretty silent. I mean you may hear the 'twang' of the bow. However, I really doubt there should be a 'silencer for arrows'.

"The blade isn't the only part of a sword."

9 years of Ragnarok Online, 9 years of EVE Online -- Beta tester of Planetside 2, ESO, RIFT, Warhammer Online, SWTOR, and Elite: Dangerous.

I can really only say this:

Arrows are generally already pretty silent. I mean you may hear the 'twang' of the bow. However, I really doubt there should be a 'silencer for arrows'.

Dampeners...string silencers...these are real things.  Look it up.

http://www.twitch.tv/Waikikamukau Yes, it's Why-Kick-Uh-Moo-Cow / Twitter: @TheMukau

Dampeners...string silencers...these are real things.  Look it up.

Was not aware of such things, which is pretty neat.

Still say arrows by themselves would suffice :P

"The blade isn't the only part of a sword."

9 years of Ragnarok Online, 9 years of EVE Online -- Beta tester of Planetside 2, ESO, RIFT, Warhammer Online, SWTOR, and Elite: Dangerous.

Was not aware of such things, which is pretty neat.

Still say arrows by themselves would suffice :P

"scientia ipsa potentia est" - knowledge itself is power

You're right, though it would be an interesting mechanic as well as a potential source of revenue for the crafters.

http://www.twitch.tv/Waikikamukau Yes, it's Why-Kick-Uh-Moo-Cow / Twitter: @TheMukau

• 2 weeks later...

What does it matter that your arrows are silent?  People can still see which way they came from if they see it in flight and can pretty easily figure out which general way it came from when it is sticking in something. 

They should be moving fast enough that the sound they make (if any in game) will not be enough warning for people to dodge out of the way. 

Silent seems pointless.  Now arrows that magically melt after they hit or turn into snakes (Conan style) would make it harder to find the shooter. 

Edited by Belaz

What does it matter that your arrows are silent?  People can still see which way they came from if they see it in flight and can pretty easily figure out which general way it came from when it is sticking in something. 

They should be moving fast enough that the sound they make (if any in game) will not be enough warning for people to dodge out of the way. 

Silent seems pointless.  Now arrows that magically melt after they hit or turn into snakes (Conan style) would make it harder to find the shooter. 

That only gives information about the line arrow came from , shooting sound gives exact location.