Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ACE Q&A for July - Official discussion thread

Coders must always assume that all data which the client is aware of is accessible to an adequately determined player, so the UI should offer all information that the client has access to by default.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s time for another ACE Q&A   FULL STORY

You clearly didn't play Shadowbane. I have complete confidence in the devs commitment to let you gimp yourself.

Historically, the concern in loot PvP games is that a victim, realizing he is soon to be killed and turned into a loot pinata, drags all his gear off his paper doll and destroys it to prevent the vict

Interesting stuff have been asked, I am surprised it's the most great questions over all.

Those who asked questions and never got chance to have a shout out, you're doing great job tho but keep in your mind that your questions is important to all of us for every monthly Q&A and I appreciate those who put in time to have great questions!

so thank you :D.

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

Since buildings can be built in the EK I was wondering about forts, castles, cities etc...having been built in a campaign world. What happens to all of that when the campaign world is destroyed and match ended by the hunger. I realize there will be rewards, 'stuff' etc...but what about all the game earned resources used to build up those items during the campaign? Lose them all? Get part or all as a reward? Just...what happens to all that resources and work and time when the world ends?

Since buildings can be built in the EK I was wondering about forts, castles, cities etc...having been built in a campaign world. What happens to all of that when the campaign world is destroyed and match ended by the hunger. I realize there will be rewards, 'stuff' etc...but what about all the game earned resources used to build up those items during the campaign? Lose them all? Get part or all as a reward? Just...what happens to all that resources and work and time when the world ends?

In the EK, players place the plots and buildings.  In the CW, all of the buildings (and plots) are already placed, just in an unbuilt state.  Once you "capture" a POI within a CW, you need to use resources to upgrade the buildings to a usable state.

All of the buildings (and plots) you get in backer packages and the store are for the EKs only.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

In the EK, players place the plots and buildings.  In the CW, all of the buildings (and plots) are already placed, just in an unbuilt state.  Once you "capture" a POI within a CW, you need to use resources to upgrade the buildings to a usable state.

All of the buildings (and plots) you get in backer packages and the store are for the EKs only.

says who?

What happens to all of that when the campaign world is destroyed?

Anything you make or build in a campaign is destroyed when it ends, except goods successfully escrowed and exported via summoning circle according to that campaign's export rules.

There's a deliberate tension between "do I escrow this stone and hope I can export it to my EK" and "do I use this stone to build campaign resources so I can win the campaign and successfully export the other goods in my escrow".

I have a concern that this tension rewards players who don't care about exporting and thus weakens the play loop between CWs and EKs, but I don't have a proposal for what to do about that.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

In the EK, players place the plots and buildings.  In the CW, all of the buildings (and plots) are already placed, just in an unbuilt state.

We've been given strong hints that this is the case at the stronghold/parcel scale, but there isn't any info confirming this carries down to the building/lot scale unless it's hidden in the DP forum.

Tully

What if you could have monster camps where the players would be able to practice their rotations much like how we do it today with the dummies, and what if there was a way, during a siege, for an infiltrator to "sabotage" the camp, releasing the monsters, causing chaos! (monsters would not pick sides, they would just attack whoever they saw)

What if you had gladiatorial arenas, where players can combat for sport, against each other, aswell as against monsters.but to feed that gladiatorial arena with monsters you need to have a monster camp.

Benefits of a gladiatorial arena: increase in morale when defending, or stronger guards or something like that.

Lf6MJUL.png

http://www.legend-gaming.net

Pingu - Member

---------------------------"Winter is coming"---------------------------

says who?

We've been given strong hints that this is the case at the stronghold/parcel scale, but there isn't any info confirming this carries down to the building/lot scale unless it's hidden in the DP forum.

Ace has been pretty specific in that all buildings in packages and the store are for your personal kingdom (EK) only.  So, what buildings will you have to place in the CW?

They have not made any mention that players will have the ability to place buildings within the CWs.  They have mentioned that buildings will already be placed by the system within the CWs.  They have mentioned that CW buildings (and the buildings players drop in EKs) will start in an inactive state that will require resources to "upgrade" it to the first active tier.

https://youtu.be/4TZZnyB-ydU?t=5m21s

Ace has been pretty specific in that all buildings in packages and the store are for your personal kingdom (EK) only.  So, what buildings will you have to place in the CW?

They have not made any mention that players will have the ability to place buildings within the CWs.  They have mentioned that buildings will already be placed by the system within the CWs.  They have mentioned that CW buildings (and the buildings players drop in EKs) will start in an inactive state that will require resources to "upgrade" it to the first active tier.

https://youtu.be/4TZZnyB-ydU?t=5m21s

yes, the video just contradicts what you said :)

not ALL buildings will be pre-placed.

thanks for digging it up though.

yes, the video just contradicts what you said :)

not ALL buildings will be pre-placed.

thanks for digging it up though.

Not really, but I can see how you can take it out of context.

I still go back to my question... what buildings will you have to place within a CW?  Where will you get them?  All buildings in packages and the store are clearly indicated for the personal kingdom (EK) only.

There has to be some mechanism for creating buildings from a pile of materials;we've been clearly told that store purchase is not the only way EK structures enter production. So if I can build a cottage from a pile of mats in my EK, it's at least possible that you can do the same thing in a CW.

Lot-scale construction in CWs including buildings (not strongholds) and walls is still a big unknown as far as I can tell. You could be right that it's 100% preplaced as ruins, but I was pretty sure I've seen comments that at least some ad-hoc construction is possible. Further clarification would be helpful.

Tully

Not really, but I can see how you can take it out of context.

I still go back to my question... what buildings will you have to place within a CW?  Where will you get them?  All buildings in packages and the store are clearly indicated for the personal kingdom (EK) only.

Believe whatever you want.

My guess is, we'll have some ToL mechanic like in shadowbane, that flattens a piece of land and then let's you construct buildings on it.

Similar to the way you build in your EK.

Where we got the recipes from? I dunno. I suspect we just have them.

Or they combine those with some form of "Construction" Skill, that opens up moe buildings as you level it up. Who knows.

Edited by freeze

There has to be some mechanism for creating buildings from a pile of materials;we've been clearly told that store purchase is not the only way EK structures enter production. So if I can build a cottage from a pile of mats in my EK, it's at least possible that you can do the same thing in a CW.

Lot-scale construction in CWs including buildings (not strongholds) and walls is still a big unknown as far as I can tell. You could be right that it's 100% preplaced as ruins, but I was pretty sure I've seen comments that at least some ad-hoc construction is possible. Further clarification would be helpful.

Ok, I'll post the question for July.

My guess is, we'll have some ToL mechanic like in shadowbane, that flattens a piece of land and then let's you construct buildings on it.

Similar to the way you build in your EK.

Where we got the recipes from? I dunno. I suspect we just have them.

Or they combine those with some form of "Construction" Skill, that opens up moe buildings as you level it up. Who knows.

I know that Camelot Unchained has this, but Crowfall split the mechanic .... EK for player placement and upgrade, CW for system pre-placement and player upgrade.  I'll see about a more official dev response if they don't post directly in here.

Also, this isn't Shadowbane, so you can't assume that everything in SB will be in CF.  There are as many distinct differences as there are similarities... then again, there are similarities with other MMOs as well.

Edited by Nyt

Pretty sure they just mentioned everything is being built for PVP (the Campaign Worlds). The items in the shop you can buy are for the EK only so you don't get a leg up in the campaign worlds. They also mentioned using the same assets in both EK and CW.

I would certainly hope ALL buildings are not preplaced. I understand why the strongholds are preplaced (so you can't end up building like 9 strongholds next to each other, and just keep retreating from one to the next every time someone fights for 24 hours straight and finally breaches one, etc.). But, unless they just couldn't get it to work, I don't see a good reason for buildings to just be ruins that you upgrade in CWs. That basically means almost 0 stronghold/settlement layout customization. That, and you can't even build a hodgepodge of shacks and a log-post wall anywhere for basic shelter/a warcamp or something. That's just a lot of potential gone if we can't at least place our own non-stronghold buildings.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

Ok, I'll post the question for July.

I know that Camelot Unchained has this, but Crowfall split the mechanic .... EK for player placement and upgrade, CW for system pre-placement and player upgrade.  I'll see about a more official dev response if they don't post directly in here.

Also, this isn't Shadowbane, so you can't assume that everything in SB will be in CF.  There are as many distinct differences as there are similarities... then again, there are similarities with other MMOs as well.

What differences?

X6RBqg7.gif