Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ACE Q&A for July - Official discussion thread

What differences?

Shadowbane didn't have campaign victory points, passive training, eternal kingdoms, a gathering/crafting cycle, or guinea pigs. You could probably pick out a few more differences by reviewing the FAQ.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s time for another ACE Q&A   FULL STORY

You clearly didn't play Shadowbane. I have complete confidence in the devs commitment to let you gimp yourself.

Historically, the concern in loot PvP games is that a victim, realizing he is soon to be killed and turned into a loot pinata, drags all his gear off his paper doll and destroys it to prevent the vict

Shadowbane didn't have campaign victory points, passive training, eternal kingdoms, a gathering/crafting cycle, or guinea pigs. You could probably pick out a few more differences by reviewing the FAQ.

That's the best you could come up with. Wow...huge differences.

X6RBqg7.gif

Yep. Strongholds have X amount of bindable locations where thralls can be placed, with X increasing with the class and upgrade level of the stronghold.

Of course, choosing to fill your bind locations with guard spirits means that you have that many fewer robocrafters grinding out goods from templates, so there's a tradeoff.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

What differences?

Jihan already answered with some great design differences, and as ACE has written a few months ago, the universe, the technology and the design is different from Shadowbane.

Destructible environment, temporary campaigns, the Hunger, physics, reticle, action combat with combos, travel between worlds, character progression...

There are also a lot of similarities with Shadowbane, J Todd wrote that Crowfall is "the game that I wanted to make, before making Shadowbane."

Edited by courant101

Jihan already answered with some great design differences, and as ACE has written a few months ago, the universe, the technology and the design is different from Shadowbane.

Destructible environment, temporary campaigns, the Hunger, physics, reticle, action combat with combos, travel between worlds, character progression...

There are also a lot of similarities with Shadowbane, J Todd wrote that Crowfall is "the game that I wanted to make, before making Shadowbane."

These aren't really differences. Just keeping up with the times. Even down to resistances and disciplines which are going to be pretty much the same. There are differences like a new crafting system and temporary campaigns etc that are all designed to reduce player attrition that shadowbane sorely needed.

My point is that every time something is introduced that was in shadowbane, like guards for instance, someone who played shadowbane talks about how they worked in shadowbane and will likely work here. And instantly everyone says "this isn't Shadowbane omg omg omg".

X6RBqg7.gif

These aren't really differences. Just keeping up with the times. Even down to resistances and disciplines which are going to be pretty much the same. There are differences like a new crafting system and temporary campaigns etc that are all designed to reduce player attrition that shadowbane sorely needed.

My point is that every time something is introduced that was in shadowbane, like guards for instance, someone who played shadowbane talks about how they worked in shadowbane and will likely work here. And instantly everyone says "this isn't Shadowbane omg omg omg".

I agree that the overall design and story resemble a lot to what I've read of Shadowbane. If they can keep most of the things that worked well in SB, improve a few ideas and use new technology I guess it should be great.  :)

Many of the basic design principles are the same between the two games. It's not safe to assume that any particular feature or implementation detail will be identical.

A 2016 Mustang is just an updated Model T but they drive very differently.

Tully

"Temporary campaigns" alone are HUGE.  You are talking rulesets with different win conditions, scenarios, import/export rules, voxel based destructible worlds, etc, etc

DAoC had NPC guards well before Shadowbane that were improved by a guild claiming and upgrading a keep.  I would Argue that "keeping up with the times" provides a lot more than your over-generalization

• 4 weeks later...

One must be careful. Too many rules and regulations and we won't have enough power. We can't have it both ways. The amount of EK safety already removes a great deal of power to create emergent gameplay. Overall sounding good, just being cautious.

I role play a wordsmith.