Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why do people think they can fix "toxicity"?

Handies

No government or religion has ever been able to change human nature. No leader or god has ever been able to change human nature. No law or holy book has ever been able to change human nature. Yet people think reporting and banning people in a  game is somehow going to change human nature and that "toxicity" will disappear.

One can not simply make a pvp game and expect people to not get upset over actions, words or anything else done in the game or on the forums. Whether people want to believe it or not, poorly made socks talking on the forums matters almost as much as things done in the game. 

Rivalries get formed. Friends get formed. Connections get made. I am not sure where the most of you get this attitude of "pvp only happens in game.".  It does not.  There is a line when poorly made socks talking that does involve going beyond  it and most of us will not pass said line. Beyond that line is when rules mods should step up. 

You can not have a pvp game while trying to stack rules upon it. 

Here is some honest to god advice for both gaming and dealing with reality. Get over it. Seriously, get over your whining and crying. Adapt and toughen up or you will always be considered a joke. Adapt and toughen up so you can actually deal with reality instead of trying to hide from it. Your real life and gaming life will improve 100 fold. You will literally be a happier and more satisfied human being.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Heinlein said "An armed society is a polite society."  Back when everyone had a gun, or further back when everyone carried a sword, people were nice and polite to each other.  poorly made socks talking is a modern occurrence.  Our society now lets little kids say things that would have got my head bashed in or at the least, a mouth full of soap when I was growing up.

Forumbane is all fun and games, but it is not a necessity.  You can have enemies without being toxic. Even enemies can be polite to each other.

There are plenty of things that influence human behavior, you don't see open acts of violence and free hate speech. The internet insulates offenders from being accountable, but a great many behaviors are suppressed both on and off the net.

There are ways to design gameplay, narrative, and moderation to reduce unwelcome behavior. It's a fallacy to assert that it doesn't have an impact just because it doesn't preclude all incidents.

This forum itself has a profanity filter, rendering most offensive language humorous, and disincentivizing profanity in general. There are ways.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

There are plenty of things that influence human behavior, you don't see open acts of violence and free hate speech. The internet insulates offenders from being accountable, but a great many behaviors are suppressed both on and off the net.

There are ways to design gameplay, narrative, and moderation to reduce unwelcome behavior. It's a fallacy to assert that it doesn't have an impact just because it doesn't preclude all incidents.

This forum itself has a profanity filter, rendering most offensive language humorous, and disincentivizing profanity in general. There are ways.

Filters are lame. custard off you %+@!$#?&*^. You are an unpleasant person %+@!$#?&*^.

Obviously can't fix it or change people but nothing wrong with trying to promote an environment where the "toxicity" isn't welcome and hopefully self policed out of said little corner of the world/Internet/w/e.

Its not about fixing it because rules nor laws can change a person's attitude but you can put a structure in place that reduces the amount with the fear of loosing out on something. AKA posting in the forums. 

Nothing is perfect just different levels reduction.

imho, moderation on here will definitely need to tone down quite a bit as the game progresses if they want the game to really succeed in creating a thriving/lively community. ForumBane will be just as important to the game as logging in and PvPing will be. This game will be driven by politics and trash talk. If you can't trash talk and publicly bash your opponent on the forums it makes the game a lot less fun. I hope we see a ForumBane sub-form added sometime soon with very light moderation (to stop people from posting real life details and such) were people can be who they are and not have to worry if the mods are watching.. anyway.. peace and love to all of you..  and  remember... Todd Coleman and the Panntroopers are watching....

JliiWO5.png?1

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

imho, moderation on here will definitely need to tone down quite a bit as the game progresses if they want the game to really succeed in creating a thriving/lively community. ForumBane will be just as important to the game as logging in and PvPing will be. This game will be driven by politics and trash talk. If you can't trash talk and publicly bash your opponent on the forums it makes the game a lot less fun. I hope we see a ForumBane sub-form added sometime soon with very light moderation (to stop people from posting real life details and such) were people can be who they are and not have to worry if the mods are watching.. anyway.. peace and love to all of you..  and  remember... Todd Coleman and the Panntroopers are watching....

JliiWO5.png?1

We have been asking for that section for months.

Right but there are things you can do to discourage people from being d*ckholes. For example, in old WoW before cross-realm dungeons, notorious trolls and ninja-looters would be basically blacklisted on the server and nobody would group with them anymore. Because levelling a new character was arduous, and you couldn't change your character name, you were stuck with your reputation no matter what.

Nowadays you mostly play with people from other realms who will never see you again, so it doesn't make a difference if you act like a pr*ck or not.

There are ways of dealing with idiots better than the banhammer, namely, make it so that your community has the tools to ostracise unpleasant players if they wish.

No government or religion has ever been able to change human nature. 

There is no human nature, theres genes and environment. Environment affects the genes. Genes become active or inactive based on environmental stimulus. Before you go and say I'm a crazy person and have no idea what I'm talking about, I am quoting Dr. Robert Sapolsky verbatim. He is a neuroendocrinologist, professor of biology, neuroscience, and neurosurgery at Stanford University. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sapolsky

So if you want to call me crazy, you're calling him crazy. I just had to correct you on human nature.

Eh. People are going to be at differing levels of sociability, and generally I feel as a trend, that gaming has gotten better on the whole.

Mobas are a highly stressful genre of team-reliant game and I think they've shown the most poorly made socksty player populations but gamers have steadily been getting better at dealing with that environment.

imo. gamings as good as its ever been, the worlds been about as poorly made socks as its ever been and gamers have steadily been getting better inspite of it.

Eh. People are going to be at differing levels of sociability, and generally I feel as a trend, that gaming has gotten better on the whole.

Mobas are a highly stressful genre of team-reliant game and I think they've shown the most poorly made socksty player populations but gamers have steadily been getting better at dealing with that environment.

imo. gamings as good as its ever been, the worlds been about as poorly made socks as its ever been and gamers have steadily been getting better inspite of it.

good is subjective

Archived