Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Handies

Why do people think they can fix "toxicity"?

I think you know quite well the demeanor of a toxic individual. 

Yeah, they know. They simply refuse to acknowledge that the blatantly noxious *behavior* of a small number of players, in a pvp game especially, exists. Because to acknowledge that these sort of abuses do exist in every pvp that has ever existed means they might have to take some responsibility for it as an honorable member of the community. It might mean that they have to confront some other person they see treating others in this way. It means taking it seriously.

Instead, they use strawmen and smoke & mirrors to purposely mis-define and dismiss these very real issues. Things like

"is telling someone they suck toxic?",

"is it toxic if I LOL at someone I just killed?",

"should I ask people if I can attack them?"

combined with "this is a pvp game!!".

They will not accept that few consider PvP in-and-of-itself to be toxic, but the actions and behaviors of certain players in a pvp environment can be. Not the PvP itself. But again, to accept that is too much to ask of some.

Honestly, I hope these very discussion here, so early on, will set the stage for a really good pvp launch. I really want pvp to become more popular to the MMO playerbase in general. I think a lot of them are really missing out on a lot of fun. And seeing as how CF is focused on pvp, if we set a good example, maybe those who are on the edge might jump on in and help make CF more of a success. 

eEvERiW.jpg

That or he's an expert in dumb. *whistle*

#rekt

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I must say, rhoklaw, you have some cheek to call the rest of this community childish and toxic, all the while derailing this thread in a childish and toxic manner. Pot calling kettle much?

Edit: I don't often get involved in these “discussions” but you really take the cake. Way I see it you can either choose to be a part of the solution or a part of the problem. Get off that high horse and stop being part of the problem.

Antagonising EVERYONE is not how you go about promoting positive behaviour. Bloody hell.

Edited by Fenrial

Mongol General: Hao! Dai ye! We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?

Mongol: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Mongol General: Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?

Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

Mongol General: That is good! That is good.

Edited by Savevsdeathmagic

Yeah, they know. They simply refuse to acknowledge that the blatantly noxious *behavior* of a small number of players, in a pvp game especially, exists. Because to acknowledge that these sort of abuses do exist in every pvp that has ever existed means they might have to take some responsibility for it as an honorable member of the community. It might mean that they have to confront some other person they see treating others in this way. It means taking it seriously.

Instead, they use strawmen and smoke & mirrors to purposely mis-define and dismiss these very real issues. Things like

"is telling someone they suck toxic?",

"is it toxic if I LOL at someone I just killed?",

"should I ask people if I can attack them?"

combined with "this is a pvp game!!".

They will not accept that few consider PvP in-and-of-itself to be toxic, but the actions and behaviors of certain players in a pvp environment can be. Not the PvP itself. But again, to accept that is too much to ask of some.

Honestly, I hope these very discussion here, so early on, will set the stage for a really good pvp launch. I really want pvp to become more popular to the MMO playerbase in general. I think a lot of them are really missing out on a lot of fun. And seeing as how CF is focused on pvp, if we set a good example, maybe those who are on the edge might jump on in and help make CF more of a success.

The sad train just pulled back into the station for another passenger. Maybe I could ask 1st before pking someone lolol. And then maybe I could give them back their loot and say good game and walk away. Edited by KRIPTIK

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

Maybe I could ask 1st before pking someone lolol. And then maybe I could give them back their loot and say good game and walk away.

That would be honorable PvP.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

That would be honorable PvP.

No that makes you weak.  Getting back loot makes the game less risky.  Getting permission to attack takes off the combat edge and readiness you should have.

"Honor" is created by the weak in an effort to balance a fight they know they would lose under all circumstances.

No that makes you weak.  Getting back loot makes the game less risky.  Getting permission to attack takes off the combat edge and readiness you should have.

"Honor" is created by the weak in an effort to balance a fight they know they would lose under all circumstances.

Your facetiousness detector needs recalibration  ;)

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

Subjective stuff here.

We can all agree that toxicity is a subjective topic that will never have concensus, right? I find you and rhoklaw to be incredibly toxic to this community... not like you care to acknowledge that blatantly obvious noxious *behavior* from a small number of players. Edited by Adall

I think this is where a lot of players 'just don't understand' the world they are about to (hopefully soon?) get into...

in a world where you have freedom to act, and are not locked down by rulesets which predetermine who you can kill, or how/when you can do it...there is actually very little room for 'toxicity'...or at least very few that can carry on as 'toxic'...because they'll just get hunted down, smushed and have whatever roof they are living under burnt down. 

Try to bring that to the forums? if you can't back up the poorly made socks your lips spew...well then you're just a joke and you cease being toxic, and morph into something more akin to comic relief. 

The problems with most games is that there is no accountability. There is no way to 'make the jerk pay' for their behavior in game or on the boards. The very rules that are imposed to protect players ultimately end up allowing the toxicity to occur.

We, as players, need 2 things:

1. An ignore button...both in game and on the boards.

2. Freedom to hold a player/guild/whatever accountable in game (kill them, take their stuff, kill their friends take their stuff, burn down their mud hut).

That's it.

if you don't like what i'm saying, ignore me...or better yet, do something about it.

If you don't like what i'm doing, give me a reason to stop...or make me.

you say you can't? make friends or get better...not my problem.

oops. sorry...might have just hurt someone's feelings...guess i'm feeling toxic today.

I think this is where a lot of players 'just don't understand' the world they are about to (hopefully soon?) get into...

in a world where you have freedom to act, and are not locked down by rulesets which predetermine who you can kill, or how/when you can do it...there is actually very little room for 'toxicity'...or at least very few that can carry on as 'toxic'...because they'll just get hunted down, smushed and have whatever roof they are living under burnt down. 

Try to bring that to the forums? if you can't back up the poorly made socks your lips spew...well then you're just a joke and you cease being toxic, and morph into something more akin to comic relief. 

The problems with most games is that there is no accountability. There is no way to 'make the jerk pay' for their behavior in game or on the boards. The very rules that are imposed to protect players ultimately end up allowing the toxicity to occur.

2. Freedom to hold a player/guild/whatever accountable in game (kill them, take their stuff, kill their friends take their stuff, burn down their mud hut).

That's it.

if you don't like what i'm saying, ignore me...or better yet, do something about it.

oops. sorry...might have just hurt someone's feelings...guess i'm feeling toxic today.

This.. The more we warn them, the more they ignore. 

I will say, this has been one of the most productive discussions on this board. Well done guys. :P

That's it.

Right now the forums should be used for brainstorming game design stuff... 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Oh look at that.. I am talking about toxicity in a game. Oh look.. That could be applied to this game too. Oh look, it applies to general discussion. Move along, nothing to see here but VN being typical VN.

Except that i've clearly provided an opinion that is relevant to the toxicity discussion... which is that the forums should be used for brainstorming game design stuff... it should not be a place where people get to live out their 4chan fantasies. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir