Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Names and Immersion

Something that I've often experimented with in mmo's is disabling name plates.  I find it extremely annoying to be adventuring in a fantasy world comprised mainly of colorful floating text everywhere I look.  The problem I often run into is, once you disable them, you have a very difficult time telling friend from foe from NPC.

My suggested solution to this would be to have an optional colored outline around characters based on their status to you.  The colors should be customizable and the outline should be toggled "always on" (with a distance slider) or "on mouseover" when enabled.  If I click on a character it would then show the nameplate (for friendly/neutral at least).

It would also be nice if there was a way to prevent silly names (subjectively) from being allowed in the game like "UrMomsBewbs1337".  Not sure how you would do this without Skynet, but a good start might be to not allow numbers in character names.

There was another thread where someone suggested using EK names in your player name as a solution to having unique names without having every conceivable name under the sun being taken a year from launch (if you don't believe this is possible try making a character in Path of Exile using only a single word in under 15 tries).  Here's a link to the thread http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6345-get-rid-of-that-name-is-already-in-use/?p=166449

I really like the EK idea as it also helps to protect immersion.   :D

As RPGs are my favorite genre of games, I really appreciate this post.

I hate when immersion is broken by silly things, especially like a name that doesn't fit the Universe/lore or that is simply out of context (like 'UrMomsBewbs1337')

"The blade isn't the only part of a sword."

9 years of Ragnarok Online, 9 years of EVE Online -- Beta tester of Planetside 2, ESO, RIFT, Warhammer Online, SWTOR, and Elite: Dangerous.

I think not allowing numbers in names is a good idea. Name bordering is also an odd practice but it's hard to prevent that without going skynet-ish. I'm 50/50 on odd alt-symbols in one's name (stars, moons, hearts) as it makes it irritating to try and type a friend's name, however accented characters should probably be allowed regardless.

If character appearance is unique enough then I prefer no nameplates.  Players would be recognized by how they look, and what they say their name is when they meet people.  Their name would be spread by word of mouth too.  Guildies could be recognized by symbols on their armor or cape.

Something that I've often experimented with in mmo's is disabling name plates.  I find it extremely annoying to be adventuring in a fantasy world comprised mainly of colorful floating text everywhere I look.  The problem I often run into is, once you disable them, you have a very difficult time telling friend from foe from NPC.

My suggested solution to this would be to have an optional colored outline around characters based on their status to you.  The colors should be customizable and the outline should be toggled "always on" (with a distance slider) or "on mouseover" when enabled.  If I click on a character it would then show the nameplate (for friendly/neutral at least).

It would also be nice if there was a way to prevent silly names (subjectively) from being allowed in the game like "UrMomsBewbs1337".  Not sure how you would do this without Skynet, but a good start might be to not allow numbers in character names.

There was another thread where someone suggested using EK names in your player name as a solution to having unique names without having every conceivable name under the sun being taken a year from launch (if you don't believe this is possible try making a character in Path of Exile using only a single word in under 15 tries).  Here's a link to the thread http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6345-get-rid-of-that-name-is-already-in-use/?p=166449

I really like the EK idea as it also helps to protect immersion.   :D

I personally would prefer the adrenaline rush that comes in that moment when your meeting each other and both of you are on edge waiting for a wrong move.

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

If character appearance is unique enough then I prefer no nameplates.  Players would be recognized by how they look, and what they say their name is when they meet people.  Their name would be spread by word of mouth too.  Guildies could be recognized by symbols on their armor or cape.

You honestly think that would ever work? With 5-10k players(or more) per server, that would be hell.

7ug90hM.png

A while back there was a thread on being able to at least hide name plates, one of the idea's was when you equip a cloak it could have an option to pull up the hood which then disables your bright neon nameplate. Would be perfect for assassins or small groups of bandits who didnt want to be politically tied to the acts. If you killed said person you could take off their cloak and find out the name obviously. Ill see if I can find the whole thread and link it.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

You honestly think that would ever work? With 5-10k players(or more) per server, that would be hell.

I mean... You dont have a neon nameplate above your head in RL so yes I do believe social interaction to a certain extent would work... 

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Lol immersion is just another term for I want to sit in the basement all day and pretend to be a centaur while I lament on the fact I don't have a girlfriend.

Also I'll name my character whatever I want and UrMomsBewbs1377 just made the cut.

If other players names ruins a game experience for you I can't imagine what it's going to feel like when they loot your corpse and you are left with nothing.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Well I personally look forward to a "hide" system more for the play/counterplay opportunities of hiding your name/armor/archetype etc. Also here is the link to the thread.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/4461-wanderers-cloak-hidecover-your-geararchetype/

I mean... You dont have a neon nameplate above your head in RL so yes I do believe social interaction to a certain extent would work... 

Yes.  Why?

Protip: It wouldn't. It's possible in real life to have somewhere between 100-200 stable relationships because you can recognize people by how they look/talk/act/etc. All of that is gone in a video game.

7ug90hM.png

Lol immersion is just another term for I want to sit in the basement all day and pretend to be a centaur while I lament on the fact I don't have a girlfriend.

Also I'll name my character whatever I want and UrMomsBewbs1377 just made the cut.

If other players names ruins a game experience for you I can't imagine what it's going to feel like when they loot your corpse and you are left with nothing.

Lol,  Touché.  I still stand by my opinion though, despite this incredibly well worded attempt to assassinate my "suggestion".   :P

Protip: It wouldn't. It's possible in real life to have somewhere between 100-200 stable relationships because you can recognize people by how they look/talk/act/etc. All of that is gone in a video game.

That's not a tip, that's an opinion.  And you can recognize people by how they look, talk, and act in a game.

Please provide all source material on your extensive testing of online social interaction... Oh you dont have any? Got it. :D

I think instead of coloured outlines it would be better to make everybody wear a faction symbol by default.

I also support doing something against silly names, although I agree that this is a complicated topic.

I think instead of coloured outlines it would be better to make everybody wear a faction symbol by default.

I also support doing something against silly names, although I agree that this is a complicated topic.

Faction symbols would be cool.  I like that idea a lot however it would be pretty rough on new players who don't know the symbols.