Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eren

Respeccing

Perhaps its too early for this one, yet i would like to see a magic button that would reset all my choices and all my experiance gained on a character in case i screw up. Its basically deleting and opening a new char but without bothering with cosmetics all over again. And you would keep your name, your guild and your inventory so on.

Im asking for a button that automatically deletes my character and makes a new one using exact same class, name and appearance. That will automatically join the same guild and that will automatically travel to same location.

(Location is just example, i dont mind how its done, whether they make respect shrine or tp me to starting point of campaign)

Edited by Eren

From the FAQ (http://crowfall.com/#/faq/54e9501e93fc8d634e4d690c):

21. CAN I CHANGE MY PROMOTION CLASS LATER?

No. There are a few changes that are permanent, and this is one of them. Choose carefully.

25. CAN MY DISCIPLINES BE CHANGED?

Yes, you can overwrite existing Discipline Runestones with new ones. Doing so will remove or reduce the benefits granted by the previous Discipline, and destroy the old one in the process.

So, I don't think there will a magic button that completely resets all your choices. It's well known they want you to be able to gimp your character and you'll be able to make bad choices. Basically you can totally screw it up. They have mentioned it several times in video's and such. 

Edited by Canth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Making mistakes is part of the game... and is something that a lot of games lack.

Make a gimped build? Delete toon and start over.

Oh and Im sure they have something to reclaim cosmetics you purchased.

Edited by Kiro Elmarok

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

Im asking for a button that automatically deletes my character and makes a new one using exact same class, name and appearance. That will automatically join the same guild and that will automatically travel to same location.

(Location is just example, i dont mind how its done, whether they make respect shrine or tp me to starting point of campaign)

Edited by Eren

oh my bad.

Eh, probably too early, but that would definitely save a lot of time.

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

In your initial suggestion you mentioned inventory and no location though. Plus, you named the thread Respeccing. That is why I assumed an partial reset, like an actual partial respec of a character.

What other games sometimes do, is save a customization for later use. You can then load this when you make a new character. That might be an option for what you suggest as well.

ZCcquVD.png

In your initial suggestion you mentioned inventory and no location though. Plus, you named the thread Respeccing. That is why I assumed an partial reset, like an actual partial respec of a character.

What other games sometimes do, is save a customization for later use. You can then load this when you make a new character. That might be an option for what you suggest as well.

Well, completely resetting a character does exact same job as deleting and recreating it using same options, however first one is much easier to do , that is why i named it respeccing.

Inventory doesnt matter , if i lose inventory i will just give it to my friend temporarily. Keeping the inventory doesnt really matter that much, its just less bothersome.

That would be an interesting mechanic to have. Something that resets your character to so have to do all of the work over except name and look. It would be the same as making a new character from scratch though you'd retain the name...which can be important to players.

The title is a little missleading it should say Character Reset to Zero.

It still fits the design goals of "freedom to make a crappy character" while retaining our customized look.

Only strange part about this is you'd be remaking the same archetype which is cool I guess if you just wanted to wipe the slate clean.

I guess, while the idea might work in some games, this game will have very few customization options. Adding a feature like this is almost a waste to implement when the delete/start over does the exact same thing. You might need to spend a minute or less selecting those items... this is not going to be a game with slider customization.

I guess, while the idea might work in some games, this game will have very few customization options. Adding a feature like this is almost a waste to implement when the delete/start over does the exact same thing. You might need to spend a minute or less selecting those items... this is not going to be a game with slider customization.

You will keep your guild, campaign and perhaps location and inventory. In a game where chances of messing your character is high, such option is quite useful. If its going to take longer than half a hour to code it than its a waste to make. But if not than please make it. 

I'd rather the devs spend their time on coding features that don't duplicate things the players will already be able to do using other planned features.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I'd rather the devs spend their time on coding features that don't duplicate things the players will already be able to do using other planned features.

Normally yes, but a feature like this can be very easy to code. And not just very easy, very, very easy.

Normally yes, but a feature like this can be very easy to code. And not just very easy, very, very easy.

That is a dangerous assumption. The easiest looking things can actually be very hard, very, very hard to do.

ZCcquVD.png

I'm strongly against a respec option. In a game promoting strategy and consequence, your decisions should have actual weight -- and not just the appearance that they matter.

I'd be OK if you were able to buy back very small sums of skill points, but there'd have to be a considerable timer associated with it.

just an Eldreth

That is a dangerous assumption. The easiest looking things can actually be very hard, very, very hard to do.

True, i have a very simple game, on my game it wouldnt take longer than 2-3 munites to code respect system. Since you are basically resetting level and talents to 0. But i really dont know how they coded characters. But if it takes longer than a day there is something wrong with the code.

I'm strongly against a respec option. In a game promoting strategy and consequence, your decisions should have actual weight -- and not just the appearance that they matter.

I'd be OK if you were able to buy back very small sums of skill points, but there'd have to be a considerable timer associated with it.

Please read more than just the thread name. Just in case i will integrate my 2nd post to my main post so it becomes more clear what i am asking

If names are unique, i support this option. If names aren't unique then it wont matter.  But the idea is good in that you save your name and guild affiliation. This can't be done within a campaign. Rest could be redone.

Edited by jetah

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Nah, I don't agree with you. What draws me to this game is it's hardcore aspect. Oh, you screwed your character up? Tough luck, go try again. It reminds of the Diablo/Diablo 2 era, where you would have to theory-craft a lot before creating your character. 

As Adall mentioned it's a waste of time implementing a feature that will "reset" your character as it's easier to just delete and restart. Oh and things like guild and map exploration could easily be saved on your account and not for each individual character. I guess this would also prevent spying since you would only be able to join one guild at a time, which would be a shame. Inventory is a different story, you could have some sort of storage that's account-bound so you could easily just put all your gear in it before deleting your character.

From what I can see, you'll have your account name (could be hidden), character name and then your guild name, maybe? 

In the end, I have to say no to a "reset/respec" feature, it feels like something contributed to "casual" players and from what I know so far, Crowfall won't be a game for those players. I want the game to be difficult and I want people to theory-craft their characters and not just expect to jump into the game and "learn on the way". 

Edited by zero2none

Nah, I don't agree with you. What draws me to this game is it's hardcore aspect. Oh, you screwed your character up? Tough luck, go try again. It reminds of the Diablo/Diablo 2 era, where you would have to theory-craft a lot before creating your character. 

As Adall mentioned it's a waste of time implementing a feature that will "reset" your character as it's easier to just delete and restart. Oh and things like guild and map exploration could easily be saved on your account and not for each individual character. I guess this would also prevent spying since you would only be able to join one guild at a time, which would be a shame. Inventory is a different story, you could have some sort of storage that's account-bound so you could easily just put all your gear in it before deleting your character.

From what I can see, you'll have your account name (could be hidden), character name and then your guild name, maybe? 

In the end, I have to say no to a "reset/respec" feature, it feels like something contributed to "casual" players and from what I know so far, Crowfall won't be a game for those players. I want the game to be difficult and I want people to theory-craft their characters and not just expect to jump into the game and "learn on the way". 

By reading your post im pretty sure you have misunderstood what my suggestion is about. What does a button that theoratically automatiaclly recreates my character using same name,appearance and instantly joins same guild has to do with game being "hardcore". There is differance between difficulty and waste of time.

And about development process that would be spent on this feature, there is just no way this would take longer than a single day of a single person. Considering our "fail chances" are so high people are going to constantly open new characters, basically the route : Move inventory to bank --> Delete char ---> Open new one with name and appearance ---> Join same campaign ---> Join same guild ---> retrive items from bank. While all this can be done with at most single day of coding. 

Perhaps its too early for this one, yet i would like to see a magic button that would reset all my choices and all my experiance gained on a character in case i screw up. Its basically deleting and opening a new char but without bothering with cosmetics all over again. And you would keep your name, your guild and your inventory so on.

I know my grammar is very bad but just try harder to understand what im writing here.

Edited by Eren

I did not misunderstand your post, maybe you haven't made a clear suggestion. What I see is that you are asking for a button that practically wipes your character's skills and stats and keeps your name, guild, inventory, etc. How could I misunderstand this? 

So, I disagreed with you. I'd prefer the long way as it reminds me of my Diablo 2 days, which is why I kept playing that game until Diablo 3 came out, which was a failure in my eyes as they removed this feature and did something similar to what you're asking for. 

If I take Diablo as an example, as an old time gamer, I enjoyed the "hardcore aspect" of it, as in I liked having to restart my character from scratch. When they did Diablo 3, it felt like they dumbed it down to make it more appealing for the casual players, the ones that were playing World of Warcraft. So, as a old and hardcore player, I got bored fast as it was just too easy

In terms of the design process; they could easily have a save feature for your character's appearance, games like Eve Online do it. The name wouldn't be an issue as you would still have access to your name if you did the process straight away since it gets deleted from their database. I see no problems with joining the same guild and retrieving items from a bank; what's that? 2-3 actions most that you may have to perform? Sure, you may have to wait to get confirmation to re-join the guild, but then it's easier for the guild master to control their group this way. 

You may think it can be done easily in a code, but it's easier to have these things separate because if something breaks, it's easier to find the error then. If I have everything bunched up into one button which is performing multiple actions at a time then in code wise, it's very time-consuming to locate and find the bug. 

Edited by zero2none