Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gogims

Will Crowfall be CPU intensive or GPU intenvise?

Hi Crowfallers!! Some MMOs and non MMOs use more CPU resources rather than GPU resources (Guild Wars 2, Arma2, Arma3, etc.) 

So the general questions are:

• What features makes a video game (in this case a MMO) more CPU intensive rather than GPU?
  • Will Crowfall be a CPU intensive game or GPU intensive?

I really hope it takes more advantage of the GPU rather than CPU, since my CPU it's not that good. I will upgrade my computer but next year, and I really hope I will be able to handle the beta.

SignatureBanner.png

For more info about my channel check my Twitter out :)

• What features makes a video game (in this case a MMO) more CPU intensive rather than GPU?

Graphism? Everything from texture resolution to showing distance (including shadows, particles etc.); anything else is CPU intensive.

Few MMOs were GPU intensive (NCsoft & Funcom did use big graphics engine for example).

It depends on server population and how many people they want in an average fight but something like WoW is cpu bound and we're going to have more than WoW with our voxels. You can have the best cpu in the world in a cpu intensive mmorpg and still have bad fps if you have a lousy card. My overclocked i7 920 is still good enough for anything I have played. If I am usually bound in some way its to the gpu because my video card isn't that great. So it's really not something you can say, "get this and you don't have to worry about that". You need decent a cpu and gpu in all these games.

Edited by oberon

MY GPU it's good, so I only worry about my CPU. I am not sure if my AMD Phenom II X4 960T can handle the game (the beta at least). With OC the CPU turns into a 6 cores at 3.5GHz.

Edited by gogims

SignatureBanner.png

I mean I guess Artcraft said they found some secret ways of getting around any computer spec issues that they aren't sharing just yet. But if they come through on their promise, the game should be able to handle thousands of players on screen, the destructible environments, advanced effects, NPCs and building for even moderately bad computers. Not saying this is set in stone, but from what they've shown, I can actually believe it. As we have seen, graphics aren't the biggest concern for Crowfall and the player count is going to be split up by campaign and EK servers, so it actually makes sense that it won't be too intense.

Most of the times game performance is bottlenecked by CPU. Either because the game poorly utilizes graphics cards or because the game doesn't efficiently use multiple cores (WILDSTAR?!)

Edited by Zybak

I mean I guess Artcraft said they found some secret ways of getting around any computer spec issues that they aren't sharing just yet. But if they come through on their promise, the game should be able to handle thousands of players on screen, the destructible environments, advanced effects, NPCs and building for even moderately bad computers. Not saying this is set in stone, but from what they've shown, I can actually believe it. As we have seen, graphics aren't the biggest concern for Crowfall and the player count is going to be split up by campaign and EK servers, so it actually makes sense that it won't be too intense.

They should stop making cf and just develop and sell this secret

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I mean I guess Artcraft said they found some secret ways of getting around any computer spec issues that they aren't sharing just yet. But if they come through on their promise, the game should be able to handle thousands of players on screen, the destructible environments, advanced effects, NPCs and building for even moderately bad computers. Not saying this is set in stone, but from what they've shown, I can actually believe it. As we have seen, graphics aren't the biggest concern for Crowfall and the player count is going to be split up by campaign and EK servers, so it actually makes sense that it won't be too intense.

Do you mind sharing a link where they stated something like that?? I am very curious about that  :o

SignatureBanner.png

Most of the times game performance is bottlenecked by CPU. Either because the game poorly utilizes graphics cards or because the game doesn't efficiently use multiple cores (WILDSTAR?!)

That is exact opposite, almost always performance is bottlenecked by GPU.

Handling players and destructible enviorenment in stable form is easy, what im most curious is how the destruction is going to happen. Will it just remove the wall and feature some physical effect (such as nvidia' physx) or will peaces actually fall? But than if pieces actually fall its going to be VERY demanding. 

Edited by Eren

That is exact opposite, almost always performance is bottlenecked by GPU.

Every game I've played that's had bad performance was never using up many graphics card resources. They were usually barely taxing my GPU while my CPU was burning up.

I guess it just depends on the game but GW2, SWTOR, and Wildstar and many other non-MMO's were like this. You usually see posts like "I have XXXX top of the line graphics card and still don't get 60 fps" posts pretty often and it normally comes down to the game just being a CPU hog.

Edited by Zybak

Every game I've played that's had bad performance was never using up many graphics card resources. They were usually barely taxing my GPU while my CPU was burning up.

I guess it just depends on the game but GW2, SWTOR, and Wildstar and many other non-MMO's were like this. You usually see posts like "I have XXXX top of the line graphics card and still don't get 60 fps" posts pretty often and it normally comes down to the game just being a CPU hog.

Wildstar is weird one. Im using same GPU but i upgraded my CPU to high-end one, i was getting insane lag spike at capital and that is completely gone now. However its still being bottlenecked by my GPU.

Look up Tera for really bad clients.

My ideal list would be:

• Multicore support
  • Multi-monitor support
  • Multigpu support
  • Lets add in 4k support too

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

I always believe that as long as you have a reasonable CPU/GPU that there is a big gain to be made by using an SSD.

SSD only improves loading time. Disk capacity is like the last thing you would pay attention to. RAM would be better than SSD imo.

SignatureBanner.png

I always believe that as long as you have a reasonable CPU/GPU that there is a big gain to be made by using an SSD.

SSD only improves loading time. Disk capacity is like the last thing you would pay attention to. RAM would be better than SSD imo.

In case he is wondering why SSD only improved loading times, its important to know rule of RAM

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081227101550AAe8pBc

And why ram? Because its significantly faster than any disk drive and it stores information in exact same language CPU uses. So it can direclty communicate without needing any translations.

In an interview with MOTD media, ACE discussed the type of machine that will most likely be required to run Crowfall : 

"... the [game] that we're choosing to make requires a high end machine ... the goal of this game is to run on the kind of machine we would expect our players to have which is an high end, high performance machine ... which meant they bought it last year at the latest when we finally launch ... pretty decent 3D card ... realistically we're trying to get a fairly high end customer ... our customers are people who are sophisticated MMO players, who are looking for that new cutting edge experience ... our core customers are people who have the right headset and the right monitor and the right everything ..."

Some quotes may be inaccurate.