Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aparks

Make Mobs Drop USE-ABLE Loot

Because it removes a level of player interaction, which is the big problem with this suggestion of monsters droping equippable loot.

Oh I understand it would remove the player interaction with monster drops, but how would it with NPC's doing some minor work for you? This should be a separate suggestion I guess, but if you get more resources faster by actually doing it yourself, then how is it preventing player interaction if you have say, 5 workers mining ore for you? I mean they could introduce lots of restrictions, like only 3-5 workers on each site, and it could take them 6 hours to gain the same resources you would get in an hour. It's just another option for players, not something that's stopping anything. 

I never played UO, only Archeage and Eve Online and a little of Runescape back in the day.

Edited by zero2none

The quicker you get the loot the more time you have to pvp, the more comfortable people feel about losing their gear, the players don't mind traveling the entire map getting lost. At the same time crafters are still extremely viable because everything they make is superior to mob drop items.

That just turns game into mindless mass pvp battleground. Having a completely player reliant economy chances alot of things. Greatly increases complexity and adds alot of additional ways to damage your opponent.

The problem.with your suggestion and the NPC harvester suggestion isn't that they are bad suggestions, the problem is that they don't fit the vision that is currently being presented.

As someone who says he played UO, I am also shocked to see you feel that way about harvesting resources. I could harvest up hundreds of ingots in a very short time frame, and use them to make plenty of armor pieces as well as weapons. It was no chore at all, but it was a risk being out there doing it.

I suggest if all you want to do is PvP, you should make some good crafting friends or ensure you have a good stockpile saved up from all your winnings you will likely not have. Be prepared for the worst!

I don't see it that way, the vision is still there, you're just cutting down time on something that would prevent your from PVPing more.

The problem.with your suggestion and the NPC harvester suggestion isn't that they are bad suggestions, the problem is that they don't fit the vision that is currently being presented.

As someone who says he played UO, I am also shocked to see you feel that way about harvesting resources. I could harvest up hundreds of ingots in a very short time frame, and use them to make plenty of armor pieces as well as weapons. It was no chore at all, but it was a risk being out there doing it.

I suggest if all you want to do is PvP, you should make some good crafting friends or ensure you have a good stockpile saved up from all your winnings you will likely not have. Be prepared for the worst!

Your looking at it to tunnel visioned.

I want everything the devs and you want in the game.

But I also want a side option.

I will still gather huge amounts of resources, i will still use crafters and wear crafted items.

But by making mobs worth killing and rewarding it turns the 25 pvp hotspots on mines, farms, groves, quarries into hundreds of pvp hotspots covering the entire game world. It also acts as an anti zerg mechanic spliting up players from their guilds/clans.

You wont have 50 guys camping a mine waiting for pvp. 30 of them guys are going to split up into smaller groups and roam the world for pvp because they know players are out and being active ALL over and not just at major resource nodes.

That just turns game into mindless mass pvp battleground. Having a completely player reliant economy chances alot of things. Greatly increases complexity and adds alot of additional ways to damage your opponent.

so you encourge huge scale zerg fights.  thats ok, but many people like myself like small scale pvp.

Edited by aparks

I kind of agree, I like the felling of losing my things if I get ganked. If you remove that, people will just run in guns blazing instead of taking a more cautious approach. 

Your looking at it to tunnel visioned.

I want everything the devs and you want in the game.

But I also want a side option.

I will still gather huge amounts of resources, i will still use crafters and wear crafted items.

But by making mobs worth killing and rewarding it turns the 25 pvp hotspots on mines, farms, groves, quarries into hundreds of pvp hotspots covering the entire game world. It also acts as an anti zerg mechanic spliting up players from their guilds/clans.

You wont have 50 guys camping a mine waiting for pvp. 30 of them guys are going to split up into smaller groups and roam the world for pvp because they know players are out and being active ALL over and not just at major resource nodes.

I agree, it's not something that would hamper the main vision of the game, just an extra option that can enhance the experience a bit. I for one wouldn't mind coming to an enemy lumber mill once a day and harassing the NPC's there and preventing my enemy from gaining passive resources. 

Edited by zero2none

I kind of agree, I like the felling of losing my things if I get ganked. If you remove that, people will just run in guns blazing instead of taking a more cautious approach. 

I really wish a fellow darkfall player could help me explain the economy they had better.

Player owned clan citys, hamlets were greatly desirable for the mines, groves, quarries, farms. They also were always being raided.

At the same time almost all the mobs in the world were being farmed regularly because they all dropped desirable loot.

At the same time sieges acted as large scale clan v clan fights.

Solo players and small clans did effect politics because they would ambush players regularly.

All crafted items were more desirable than mob drop items.

All items crafted sold for profit and not just breaking even.

People were always still hitting trees, metal rocks, herb bushes etc out in the open world.

The economy was very fluid and allowed for maximum pvp options.

The crowfall economy is more singular and will lead to more localized neighbor fights and zerg v zerg.

I want a game where people will travel all over for fights not just hit their neighbors.

Player interaction is one of the key components of the game's vision. It isn't just PvP that encompasses the vision, but a need to be involved in the community. If you can be 100% self-sufficient (by killing monsters for the gear you need), then the vision has not succeeded. If you can take the work out of it (by removing the need for a player to do the harvesting), then you also remove a large PvP opportunity and you remove risk.

They want you to go kill monsters and harvest resouces from them or from other locations due to the fact that it creates a risk vs. reward scenario and implements player interaction (through cooperation or competition to secure resources). This goes for both PvE mob killing as well, adding danger and vibrance to the world and fueling some of the economic side of the game, as well as drive PvP competition for these resources in the monster camps.

I know you guys want more options, but these options break the vision and gaming structure they are looking to create.

Both of you are very new here, and the bulk of your posts are right here in this thread. I would suggest you take a little more time to understand what they want to accomplish before you rattle off suggestions. Not all suggestions are good for this game, both of these just don't fit the concept.

I like the way the OP started but can I just say FAQ's good look at CF's, USP and realise that what u want is not what they are offering and is not likely to change you harping on about something which they are actively dissuading people from doing "the Mass Farming of Mobs", which in fact we will do some kinda of mass farming whether it be People nodes tress or herbs or meat they are actively saying we want you to farm to make a completely player driven economy.

But they 100% do not want it to be u alone in a hidden corner farming, Even though most people will find a nice spot to farm safely. This is a PvP game for PvP people, and thus those who can not get out of the PvE farm model of gaming will get bashed into oblivion "in game" because I will camp u and smile while u cry I got ganked while PvE farming GG.

Edited by Bremmen

Hey just Shout Bremmen and he will, Rise and Destroy the people you wish decimated :o

Whew this is some popcorn worthy stuff guys.  I just want to add that there are going to be many campaigns with many different rule-sets.  There may indeed be a campaign that fits your perfect vision of how things should work.  Arguing about who's idea is best is kinda silly though.  Let's cool our heals and see how things play out in alpha.  I'm sure the picture will be much clearer once we're actually in the game and get to see how it all fits together.   :D

You have to remember that you're not restricted to just one character, you have a minimum of 3 slots, and if you have VIP you can train all three of them at the same passively. So, you don't need to rely on another crafter to get gear for you. You can make one yourself. There could also be NPC crafter's.

You can't go in the same campaign with those characters, ergo you can't use them for crafting stuff.

y9tj8G5.png

You can't go in the same campaign with those characters, ergo you can't use them for crafting stuff.

Where does it say this? I doubt there is a restriction on how many characters from your account can go to a campaign. If you have a source then I hope they don't go with it because I've heard from my guild, who were big shadowbane players, that you could have multiple characters, each doing a specific job; i.e. a crafter, a scout, a healer. 

Edited by zero2none

"Why are you still arguing what's already been decided?” -Malcolm Reynolds

Mob drops would be a major change to the economy design philosophy and one they've given no indication that there's any chance they're even considering.

Also, when everywhere is a hotspot, nowhere is.

Let's talk about Crowfall, not the other game you wish they were making instead.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Where does it say this? I doubt there is a restriction on how many characters from your account can go to a campaign. If you have a source then I hope they don't go with it because I've heard from my guild, who were big shadowbane players, that you could have multiple characters, each doing a specific job; i.e. a crafter, a scout, a healer. 

I understand you're new to the forums, but we had this argument at least 10 times now. :D

Try looking for "one character per campaign" topics on the forum, or "multiboxing", "multiaccount" and so on.

It has been confirmed multiple times already, there's a one character PER ACCOUNT per campaign limit as of now.

y9tj8G5.png

I understand where they are coming from but it really makes killing mobs feel boring and less achieving if all they drop is currency and raw materials.

I'm by no means a pixel hugger, but I do like games to reward me for my time and crafting matts doesn't feel like rewards to me. Feels like the start of a crafting grind that will be the same amount of time consuming crap if I were to get a second job. 

After 7 days of Albion I feel like I'm still dirt broke.

After 1 year of Mortal Online I feel like I'm dirt broke.

And those are only 2 examples of a crafting economy that seems to be like Crowfall wants.

All I'm trying to say is we all will be crafters on the side, just how our human brains work we want to be and do everything, so thats my second struggle with a game with classes. This only mean people will buy as many character slots as they can so they can still do everything when in reality that means we should just be allowed to do everything on 1 account. Example: if your interested in Crowfall, than you most likely on Skyrim and that means you honestly at heart like a game where you can be a jack of all trades and do everything and don't you like when you get useable item drops in that game? 

I assure you guys after a while with a loot system as you all mentioned it will feel like a second job and it will leave you not really wanting to come back to play after a while.

I would defenetly say that is either bad Game Design, maybe even intended, or the fault is simply on your side and you dont like the game concept.

We've been told there is zero usable gear dropping from monsters. Monsters will drop crafting materials but all equippable items will be player made.

Different economy model, intended to make sure that crafters are integral to the supply chain rather than an optional afterthought.

^

Yes Darkfall Online still had a very thriving economy with drops like the ones I mentioned above.

People still crafted (almost everyone did) and people still ALWAYS bought crafted items.

But people still also used mob drop items for suicide pvp and for sieges and for farming more mobs.

It also made pve more fun and rewarding knowing maybe you can get cooked food and already made potions off mobs instead of having to craft.

It also meant some mob spawns were HOT SPOTS for pvp so people would fight over for the possible loot drops, adding in a new element to pvp and territory control.

There will be no so called PvE more like wildlife (if you wanna call it alive)

In the end you cannot change what everybody agrees on. Sure it is good to point concerns out but ACE is a collection of first-class and first-generation Devs, who did their mistakes and know how to do it.

I AM ME!
I love you all.

Maybe if mobs had dens where they dragged the corpses of their victims, gear and everything. A bear that has a bunch of kills would have a den with skeletons with gear, it'd be very hard to program though.

That's a cool idea they eat some of the gear when they kill players! 

I have no issue with the current path that Crowfall is taking on economy, but I had to throw in my opinion just to make myself feel better and I can say I tried.

I assure you though wildlife mobs that only drop SKINS (teeth, bone, rawhide, meat, etc) does get very boring very fast and which means less people doing and means less hotspots.  People will zerg up the 2 dozen resource nodes (mines, farms, quarries, groves) which is cool for large scale pvp and city raids and sieges. But it than becomes a narrow minded source of pvp. The open world pvp becomes less and less over time. People wont venture out very far, trade runs will start to stop once most people have a decent size bank of gear. 

Crowfall is not and will not be the first game to have a monetary system of this kind (survival economy) its extremely fun the first lets say 2 months but than it gets very boring very fast. It can than hold most people around for another year before they feel like they want to quit this part time job they created just to  FUEL their pvp costs.  

With my idea it get people out and about everywhere doing crowfalls economy and my idea of a side economy for lesser quality items that are still useable. Crafted items would still be far superior. But because mobs drop use able gear that means people can be fighting quicker and doing sieges faster while crafters are grinding away on skilling up better gear.

I didn't mean to offend people in creating this thread, only wanted to show a new perspective.

I again don't come from themepark mmo's, I come from the hardest core pvp niche full loot open world games wear if you die to me in pvp i can loot you dry and in that game world there is no true safe spot, i can kill you anywhere. Also darkfall was fps aim based pvp not tab target crap or cones and aoe's.  so it was player skill driven and not dumbed down.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gYbYy7SIGA

So I run the fear of the game already not being hardcore enough for me.

But also I dont want there to be limited amount of pvp hotspots.

Wish you all a nice day guys!

Edited by aparks

That's a cool idea they eat some of the gear when they kill players! 

I have no issue with the current path that Crowfall is taking on economy, but I had to throw in my opinion just to make myself feel better and I can say I tried.

I assure you though wildlife mobs that only drop SKINS (teeth, bone, rawhide, meat, etc) does get very boring very fast and which means less people doing and means less hotspots.  People will zerg up the 2 dozen resource nodes (mines, farms, quarries, groves) which is cool for large scale pvp and city raids and sieges. But it than becomes a narrow minded source of pvp. The open world pvp becomes less and less over time. People wont venture out very far, trade runs will start to stop once most people have a decent size bank of gear. 

Stopped here as it seems might be missing some key concept points for this game. The whole vision is to drive PvP and conflict with the various rulesets and modules for each CW. Pretty sure there is going to be tons of stuff that drives PvP w/o needing to make PvE mob grinding a thing. So mobs grinding won't really even be a thing. We will also be losing gear due to decay and loot drops so no we won't be building up a bank of gear, if one does that simply means they are just not playing the game very often and playing it safe which isn't the point of the game at all. There will be a constant need for resources throughout the life span of a CW.