Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aparks

Make Mobs Drop USE-ABLE Loot

Maybe I'm totally missing the design/vision of Crowfall, but it doesn't sound like anything the OP is suggesting it will be.

Don't want to farm mats? Then don't. Not that farming mats seems like a thing, at least not mindlessly doing a tedious task to get to the fun.

From my understanding, scouting-resource gathering-transport-crafting-trade-building-fighting will all be roles we can take on. Some folks actually really like gathering resources and moving them from A to B. 

Unlikely you'll be doing all or multiple on one character. If they limit it to 1 per account per campaign, decreases options even more.

I'm expecting a social experience where I provide what I have and can do in trade for what others can and I can't. Hence an economy.

If I can log in and go "Man I really need some boots, but I don't want to haggle with crafters nor become one, I'll just go find a skeleton to kill" I'll be fairly letdown as that doesn't appear to be the game they are creating.

I expect to see a mad rush for resources when a campaign starts. Overtime, guilds will claim POIs and the resources they provide. Time will progress and resources will dwindle. Warmth, hunger, death, rot will result in fewer and fewer resources causing enemies to work together against more powerful enemies. Ending with a victor and the majority of effort going poof. Some will return with us to the EKs or our magical banks in the sky while depending on the campaign/rules, we might be back at zero.

At no point do I expect a need/want to go out and "farm" or "grind" on mobs, trees, bushes, etc unless that is what my role in a group or it is at a stage of the game where it is vital for all to do it for survival for a period.

While we don't know the exacts, combat will be reticle based aiming which may or may not resemble Tera, DF, or other such systems.

My suggestion is don't create a character or play a role you don't like or expect to be your own hero doing it all without reliance on others.

As someone that has never played Skyrim, doesn't want to be a jack-of-all-trades, nor have an option to seek out loot pinatas because free stuff is awesome, I can say that we don't all want the same thing.

Lastly, I hope mobs are exactly what they've said they'll be. Environmental danger that could drops some resources but aren't the go to source nor a replacement for others.

If going out and "farming" mobs results in something worthwhile to the point everyone has some deep need/want to do it, they've done something wrong from what they've presented so far.

Edited by allein

I don't know what it is about gaming forums in which new members have almost no respect for elder members all coming and telling them the same thing, but poorly made socks... it happens a lot here.

Here is your link to Tully discussing one character per account and multiple accounts as a way around it:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/5575-player-experience-self-policing-suggestion-thread/?p=135436

Lazy bastards.

Why are you so arrogant to believe that someone is new because they don't have 2000+ posts and aren't on the forums everyday? I don't think anyone is considered an elder member, for instance my account is only a month younger than yours. 

Thanks for the proof, finally someone gives a link. 

Why are you so arrogant to believe that someone is new because they don't have 2000+ posts and aren't on the forums everyday? I don't think anyone is considered an elder member, for instance my account is only a month younger than yours. 

I explained why people think you're new, earlier.

You certainly don't need 2000+ posts to become an elder member. An elder member would be someone who knows what they are talking about the majority of the time.

When the majority of your posts are sitting in just one thread, it is clear you have not had the time to thoroughly discuss the game and it's concepts with others. At least not here. The fact that you consistently assume no one in this thread knows what they are talking about reveals your hubris and naivety about how this game will work. Most of the people here are trying to guide you with the correct answers and both yourself and aparks are choosing to just not listen, standing on the mountain of opinion... like it is just mine, man... c'mon! I will gladly state that opinions can be and often are wrong, and I am willing to debate and bring evidence to show you why. Thankfully, you are the kind of person who can take the evidence... but to have to do that all the time is absolutely frustrating. Do some of your own research so that way we don't have to constantly critique these poor suggestions.

Also, Bairloch gave a link already to support. Way to give zero credit to him and just argue away, he is probably one of the coolest kids in town.

Also, Bairloch gave a link already to support. Way to give zero credit to him and just argue away, he is probably one of the coolest kids in town.

I will take your (possibly sarcastic) compliment and roll in its fuzziness! I am loved!

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

I heard players drop useable loot to so maybe you should man up and PvP.

Checky will be ogling all the dudes in the bar... to decide who to kill and loot later.

I heard players drop useable loot to so maybe you should man up and PvP.

Tired of the world of warcraft, man-up, and go play a pve game comments.

Read the entire thread before you guys shoot out rude comments.

I've never played wow or theme park games.  I only play the hardest core pvp games (full loot, open world, no safe zones, fps aim player skills not tab target or aoe/cone handicap targeting systems)

At the same time PvE adds depth to any mmo and so this thread was to create an alternate way to get items in order to get into the pvping faster than waiting on crafters to make the good stuff.

I'm sorry the majority of you don't like my idea, but no need to be rude dicks and spout out of the mouth about stuff you don't know about me.

Never did I say I want to grind on mobs more than pvp.

Never did I say I want crafters to be useless.

I would buy and trade crafted items because I believe they should be better than mob drop items.

And I would PvP way more than anything else.

Edited by aparks

Yea, it's probably the case, but only based on the FAQ information, I think that we can't really confirm that there's an existing rule in Crowfall preventing a player to have 2 characters in the same campaign on the same account.

WON’T THIS ENCOURAGE A LOT OF PEOPLE TO MAKE ALTERNATE CHARACTERS FOR CRAFTING (ALTS)?

Probably not - we want to encourage players to play a single character within a campaign, so we’re putting design rules in place to encourage that. An upshot of this design is that the best “crafters” won’t generally be alternate characters, because it’s not a very effective strategy.

I thought I remembered a message from ACE that was without a doubt confirming that we wouldn't be able to have 2 characters per campaign per account, but now it seems that I was incorrect.

Id be interested to see how ACE does this.  2 accounts and plenty of time should be able to circumvent any strategy that ACE puts in place to stop alt crafters.

Yes, but your post wasn't the first one I read. 

Tired of the world of warcraft, man-up, and go play a pve game comments.

Read the entire thread before you guys shoot out rude comments.

I've never played wow or theme park games.  I only play the hardest core pvp games (full loot, open world, no safe zones, fps aim player skills not tab target or aoe/cone handicap targeting systems)

At the same time PvE adds depth to any mmo and so this thread was to create an alternate way to get items in order to get into the pvping faster than waiting on crafters to make the good stuff.

I'm sorry the majority of you don't like my idea, but no need to be rude dicks and spout out of the mouth about stuff you don't know about me.

I would buy and trade crafted items because I believe they should be better than mob drop items.

I've provided contributions to this thread that you could respond to instead, if you indeed want to discuss the OP as opposed to just engaging with people who won't take the time to explain why this idea isn't worthwhile in CF.

There's also this

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/5575-player-experience-self-policing-suggestion-thread/?p=135436

Appears Tully is agreeing with the belief that it is 1 char per account per campaign. If it wasn't, the need to have multiple accounts to get around the limit doesn't seem like a valid concern nor match with the answer he gave.

His answer seems to not cover this part of the question (the reason why players would use multiple accounts).

"We aren't fans [of multiple accounts]. However, there's really not a whole lot we can do about it. The thing we can try is: ensure that there's so much to do with an active character that playing multiple would likely mean you aren't performing at 100% effectiveness on either."

I agree however that if he saw an inaccurate information in the question he answered, he would have probably corrected it, so it's very likely that there's a restriction of one character per campaign.

What I'm looking for is the message or part of video where ACE states that this restriction exists, prior to all the threads discussing about this information.

Edited by courant101

Id be interested to see how ACE does this.  2 accounts and plenty of time should be able to circumvent any strategy that ACE puts in place to stop alt crafters.

I agree that players often find original ways to achieve their goals and bypass the limits set by developers / publishers.

We'll know soon enough if ACE reached their goal of making players so busy that they're less efficient controlling 2 characters.  :P

What I'm looking for is the message or part of video where ACE states that this restriction exists, prior to all the threads discussing about this information.

Too early, imo. Closest you're gonna get is what I posted from the FAQ. The plan is to have 1 per account per campaign. But right now, it's just a plan. And "no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy".

Too early, imo. Closest you're gonna get is what I posted from the FAQ. The plan is to have 1 per account per campaign. But right now, it's just a plan. And "no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy".

There's this part of an interview between ACE and G&G that talks about characters and campaigns. 

"... and there's multiple characters that you may want to jump on [...] All your characters (are / aren't?) in sync in the same, most likely in the same campaign world. That's true. So you got multiple characters."

It's out of context and possibly that it's not all the exact words they used. The question was about how the players would improve their EK when they can't bring things in it for all the duration of a campaign.  

Why would anyone wait on crafters if "okay" stuff is all that is needed?

You didn't say you wanted to grind/craft, but you did say several times that you would grind/farm and have a crafting alt (like everyone apparently) because giving resources to others is against your selfish nature.

Why would you torture yourself with grinding/crafting? Because "crafting stuff is best" but at the same time getting into PVP quickly is the goal and mobs should just drop good enough gear to do so.

This internal struggle seems to cause you burn out, but it is self harm.

While we don't know how it will really work in CF, they seem determined to make Crafting, Gathering, Transport, Trade be actual entertaining roles. Not something you hop on an alt to do for 20 mins or a slow weekend to stockpile gear for yourself.

Social gaming, not single players that happen to be playing with/against other single players.

Also said that MANY games have tried and failed with CF's economy system (even though we don't even know what it will be like exactly). What games were these?

CF might share similarities with other games, but I see it as a lot more like RTS and strategy games then fantasy FPS like Darkfall.

Campaigns starting fresh all the time and wiping at the end is pretty huge.

Campaign starts, everyone rushes to gather enough to make basic needs. Claim a couple resource spots. Build/repair some defensive structures. Crafters get to work. Caravans start moving good. Gathering, guarding, fighting over resources happens. Resources start to dwindle. World becomes harsher. Smaller guilds start pooling resources to keep larger ones at bay. Final battle(s) with victors and losers. Majority of items/resources gained go poof and it starts all over again.

Might be a crazy imaginary view, but that's sort of what I'm hoping for. If I wanted to just kill a few mobs and go play stabby stabby with people over and over until someone gets bored, I'd played one of those MANY games out there.

Mob loot is yet another item that is incredibly easy to change if it doesn't work out. If it is too difficult to get the raw materials in different stages of the games, I'm sure the developers will adjust if they feel the need. I'm really not worried about mobs dropping fully built, useable items. The developers have already said that the world gets tougher as the seasons change, so chances are, they will be adjusting those tables to reach their objectives and if they need to change a table to drop swords for a while, they can.

Hopefully there are diverse enough ways accumulate items, whether it is raiding crafters mid craft, nailing someone trying to get to their embargo or sneaking some resources off of a resource factory. If the mob camps across the campaign are of limited use then there had better be some other system in place to keep it from just being a waste of space. There need to be reasons to not only bring the population into focus areas but expand around the map as well.

Unless durability on items drops incredibly fast from fighting there really won't be a need for item drops from mobs.

Say you die, you are probably going to respawn at a nearby friendly fort/stronghold. Once there there will be craters making armor and weapons (presumably for very cheap or even free because most of what they aquire won't be coming back with them via the rules of the campaign). You grab a decent set to start off with again and go out to do battle, if you are any good you will be picking through dead bodies on the battle field after victory!

Edit: the reason I think basic gear will be cheap is because if the crafees don't help the people fighting and their team looses they will bring even less back with them from the campaign.

When you die 10-20% of your durability goes away. Sooo yes crafters will be very busy indeed. 

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."