Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aparks

Make Mobs Drop USE-ABLE Loot

I understand where they are coming from but it really makes killing mobs feel boring and less achieving if all they drop is currency and raw materials.

Perfect.  This game is not about PVE Grinding it is about winning campaigns :)

PmnGhMD.jpg

í blóði er hefnd kvöl er ótta dýrð sorg ríkir

The problem with mob loot:

In order for crafting to work, mob loot doesn't just have to be worse than the BEST crafted stuff. It has to be worse than the WORST crafted stuff.

Archeage was really quite poorly made socks this way, and is a perfect example of why mobs shouldn't drop stuff people actually want to use. PvE would easily get you weapons and armor within 3-4 ranks of top tier. This in turn meant it was virtually impossible to sell any crafted gear below that level. This meant that crafting was only undertaken by a select few individuals capable of footing the bill for the massive expense of rolling top tier equipment. That lack of competition and supply resulted in top tier equipment becoming so expensive that it was out of reach for the majority of the player base. Thus, 90% of players never bothered attempting to acquire crafted equipment because their opponents weren't either, and it was too expensive.

It's a vicious cycle that leads to a single conclusion: Mob drops must be crafting components, currency, or nothing at all if you want your economy to actually work.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the crafing components dropped by, say, a skeleton, coming in the form of a busted up sword so bad it's literally only better than nothing. Asking for mob drops that can compete with any tier of crafting is simply varying speeds of economic suicide.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

I think where the OP and the rest have a fundamental disconnect is that he belives mob hunting (farming) creates "needed" PvP hotspots, and the rest either don't agree or don't think this will be necessary.

One thing missing from the OP's regular "explanations" is the non-permanent nature of the worlds. He refers to games like Darkfall and people just sitting in their keeps waiting for battles to happen. If you do that in CF, you'll sit there until the campaign ends and you get nothing. The very nature of the campaign worlds will keep this from being an issue. You're on a timer. You can't just sit in your keep. You have to get out there, get what you can, and do it fast before the world ends.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

I think where the OP and the rest have a fundamental disconnect is that he belives mob hunting (farming) creates "needed" PvP hotspots, and the rest either don't agree or don't think this will be necessary.

One thing missing from the OP's regular "explanations" is the non-permanent nature of the worlds. He refers to games like Darkfall and people just sitting in their keeps waiting for battles to happen. If you do that in CF, you'll sit there until the campaign ends and you get nothing. The very nature of the campaign worlds will keep this from being an issue. You're on a timer. You can't just sit in your keep. You have to get out there, get what you can, and do it fast before the world ends.

Good post, but I still feel if you kill a mob it should drop items it wears (obviously wildlife will drop materials), but my view is their will be mobs with armor and weapons and I believe they should drop them upon death and players should be able to use them if they like and or salvage them.

- weapons

- armor pieces

- arrows

- reagents

- coins

- jewelry 

- gems

- potions

- food

* Obviously crafted items should be worth more and better over time.

* Obviously mobs should drop items at different percentages (some rarer than others).

* This would in fact validate having mobs in the game.

* This would also make mobs less annoying, when in route to pvp it would be more of a hassle if you have to stop and kill mobs that don't drop crap and they are just empty road guardians etc.

Edited by aparks

Good post, but I still feel if you kill a mob it should drop items it wears (obviously wildlife will drop materials), but my view is their will be mobs with armor and weapons and I believe they should drop them upon death and players should be able to use them if they like and or salvage them.

- weapons

- armor pieces

- arrows

- reagents

- coins

- jewelry 

- gems

- potions

- food

* Obviously crafted items should be worth more and better over time.

* Obviously mobs should drop items at different percentages (some rarer than others).

* This would in fact validate having mobs in the game.

* This would also make mobs less annoying, when in route to pvp it would be more of a hassle if you have to stop and kill mobs that don't drop crap and they are just empty road guardians etc.

• IF gear does drop off an NPC mob, it will most likely be a lower quality (and perhaps durability) than crafted.  There is no "better over time".
  • Loot drops are not necessary to "validate" having them in CF.  They can very much be used strategically in PvP.  Todd has even used an example of how a player can lure the enemy into an NPC mob ambush, which can quickly turn the tide and provide a solo PvP scout a tactical advantage vs 1-3+ enemies.
  • They are also the neutral enemy in CF, which may require clearing in order to capture a POI.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...