Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cloudfly

What happened to the MMO / gaming?

If anyones looking for explanations or discussions about the current gaming / MMORPG scene and genres. I recommend the great debate if you have some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLrLlXCZRhU - The Best MMO Never Made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBkPTwKnaEI - The Great Debate Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvK8fua6O64 - Un-ruining the MMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5GoHO1KHJc - What Happened To The MMORPG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU - If Quake Was Made Today

Add your own links :)

Tl:dr version for those unwilling to invest an hour of video time based on just "this is interesting"?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Tl:dr version for those unwilling to invest an hour of video time based on just "this is interesting"?

I always hate other people's (except the author) TL:DR.  It is the worst forum of diluted perspective from someone you probably do not even know.

Me, I prefer to put these sort of things on a side screen and let them roll while I am busy with something else.  If something catches my ear, I will pause for when I can focus on it.

Common sense for the most part.

WoW + people liking WoW + their money = stifled the the genre as a whole which had some original games/designs until the clone factory began.

Emergent/Sandbox games will save the day.

WoW is bad, Crowfall is good.

We apparently have common sense and good taste.

I understand it's cool to hate on Wowcraft.  But where do you feel the genre would be if there had never been a Wowcraft to open MMOs to the millions and bring it into the mainstream?

Do you think Shadowbane, for example, would have been a different game if it had launched a year after Wowcraft?

Edit - when I say "different" I mean do you feel there would have been many more people playing.

Edited by teh_ninjaneer

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

I understand it's cool to hate on Wowcraft.  But where do you feel the genre would be if there had never been a Wowcraft to open MMOs to the millions and bring it into the mainstream?

Do you think Shadowbane, for example, would have been a different game if it had launched a year after Wowcraft?

Edit - when I say "different" I mean do you feel there would have been many more people playing.

I was paraphrasing what I gained from the links after reviewing them briefly.

Personally doubt the genre as a whole would of exploded as it did thanks to Blizzard but it was a double edged sword.

There could of been very few games released, but more unique with mediocre fan bases or maybe a great idea could of had a chance and received funding to really take off. Pointless to play the "what if" game in this case as so many things could of happened.

Enjoyed vanilla WoW for what it was, but was more of means to an end. Had just as much fun in EQ/DAoC/MUDs but when friends/guildmates all jump to the new shiny model and RL friends discover the genre for the first time with the same product, hard to ignore it, especially when it was fun.

Who knows though, might have played DAoC a few more years if WoW hadn't released and then stopped playing completely with lack of alternatives. About where I was until Crowfall came along.

As far as Shadowbane goes, I honestly doubt it would of ever released if it hadn't before WoW. Due to support being pulled and lack of players as many would or probably been in WoW or a similar product like so many others. SB was a good game for what they had going, but after waiting for release, jumping into DAoC instead, then trying SB out, I saw little reason to stick around. I see many SB diehards say it was their first mmo, which like many, the first comes equipped with nostalgia glasses and lack of experience and comparison. As someone that had played several mmos by SB's release and since, I have a hard time living in the past or idealizing any one game. All those that played WoW but then hate on it are just mad that they outgrew it while others haven't. Wish I could find a game to play for 10+ years, sadly my attention span and interests are every changing.

It was flooded by trying to milk a single genre. It happens time and time again, see the rise and fall of various clones during the history of the video game industry. I recall from late nineties when almost every PC game was a Diablo-clone, a C&C-clone, or a Quake-clone. Only the games cloned and their numbers change, the attitude is the same.

WoW+F2P screwed with the market, and player expectations, and now we're in a weird state of mystery again where we don't know what formula works real well, but we generally know that you can carve out a niche at least reasonably well if you put the work in.

Generally speaking I think a fair few mmos would've done fine if people'd stuck with them, but people didn't, and they didn't get the capital they needed to finish their end game content, and generally failed to become full products...speficially in mind is the warhammer fantasy mmo. Great world building, good classes, just needed an end game, and time to iterate on balance.

People didn't stick with it, and that's not their fault nessecarily...although they might have gotten a true wow killer in time....time didn't happen. Wow had a lot of time being a first-point of entry to the genre for a lot of people, and did really well because of it.

LoL became the first point of entry for a lot of people into the moba scene, and did well because of it.

Generally I think that's the crutch a few of these games didn't adjust for, and because of it they didn't make it to the finish line...

Wow being the monster that it is now, even though I consider it a dead game, its still killing games off, in its undead lich form...just because its canibalizing the 'new' mmo-first-experience-guys...and imo WoW has gotten more boring after the first expansion so it might be tainting expecations "oh this is an mmo? this won over the market?" "screw mmos then".

Edited by Zomnivore