Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Heriot

Meaningfull Monsters

It depends of the type of game we want to play I guess. If the group I'm part of plan to attack a castle, and that the group inside of the castle already has the advantage of being protected by the walls or high ground or water surrounding, and our plans are disrupted by a wave of roaming NPCs sandwiching us by behind, I think it would be unnecessary and wouldn't add any deep or meaning to any battle.

We could blast a hole into the walls, guide those crazy, horrible and smart monsters inside the structure and then we close down the hole we just made. We then only have to sweep up the survivors.

While this sounds crazy fun, I realize we won't see any of this.  ;)

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I like the idea of monsters being an environmental hazard but not a focus... However I would like to see a few big nasty "boss" type monsters you can kill in the open world. It adds another objective and point of interest to the world. See some people fighting a boss and you could help or back stab them :)

MOkvLlm.png

We could blast a hole into the walls, guide those crazy, horrible and smart monsters inside the structure and then we close down the hole we just made. We then only have to sweep up the survivors.

While this sounds crazy fun, I realize we won't see any of this.  ;)

Haha yea, that could be an interesting strategy, that and catapulting monsters inside the castle.  :D

It depends of the type of game we want to play I guess. If the group I'm part of plan to attack a castle, and that the group inside of the castle already has the advantage of being protected by the walls or high ground or water surrounding, and our plans are disrupted by a wave of roaming NPCs sandwiching us by behind, I think it would be unnecessary and wouldn't add any deep or meaning to any battle.

NPCs being all around and making the environment more deadly is fine, but making NPCs being part of a GvG battles, or any battle opposing 2 PvP groups, as third party group that influences the outcome of the battle, I disagree.

Not suggesting they should always be a part of a siege or conflict but it should always be a possibility that when sieging either side could be attacked by some mobs. Being able to control if they do or not should also be a thing ie training a group of mobs unto a group of players, emergent gameplay and all that. Mobs are part of the environment and we should be able to use that against our foes as well.

In other games like ESO you can see on the map crossed swords for large battles. The longer the fight and more people makes the indicator larger...

Use the same system where monsters are drawn to fights, more people and longer battles draw more monsters. Like walking dead and the fight at the prison :)

MOkvLlm.png

NPCs being all around and making the environment more deadly is fine, but making NPCs being part of a GvG battles, or any battle opposing 2 PvP groups, as third party group that influences the outcome of the battle, I disagree.

Thralls and souls are part of the game.  So much in fact they are part of the primary (story background) reason for us being in the campaigns to begin with.  If NPC guards have to be bought with harvested souls, makes more sense to me then simply storing them for EK use.

But what if you could also use those wandering monsters in your attack?  If you ignore them they can attack you from behind but if you find them and lure them to the fort and use them as your first wave of attacks and then follow in behind them to start your assault....... how fun would that be??

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

In other games like ESO you can see on the map crossed swords for large battles. The longer the fight and more people makes the indicator larger...

Use the same system where monsters are drawn to fights, more people and longer battles draw more monsters. Like walking dead and the fight at the prison :)

Have it draw monsters but I'm opposed to it on the map for players. Ruins scouting.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

I like the idea of monsters being an environmental hazard but not a focus... However I would like to see a few big nasty "boss" type monsters you can kill in the open world. It adds another objective and point of interest to the world. See some people fighting a boss and you could help or back stab them :)

They could have the faction who kills the boss receive a nice buff.  That would be pretty sweet, although it will only fuel the flames for people claiming this game is a glorified moba lol.

Not suggesting they should always be a part of a siege or conflict but it should always be a possibility that when sieging either side could be attacked by some mobs. Being able to control if they do or not should also be a thing ie training a group of mobs unto a group of players, emergent gameplay and all that. Mobs are part of the environment and we should be able to use that against our foes as well.

It could probably be fun for some players to drag mobs toward enemies and use them strategically to their advantages. However what I would prefer to see in Crowfall is PvP battles, not Players+mobs+thralls+pets battles. Those NPCs are additional layers that I find unnecessary and superfluous.

But what if you could also use those wandering monsters in your attack?  If you ignore them they can attack you from behind but if you find them and lure them to the fort and use them as your first wave of attacks and then follow in behind them to start your assault....... how fun would that be??

The fun is not all what makes a game, and what is extremely fun and entertaining one day might not be 3 weeks later. I dislike the idea of having NPCs all around in battles, I want to focus on PvP.

why should the mobs fight as first wave, since for example animals usually dont try to attack a wall :P

I also think the devs shouldnt use too much time for ai of the mobs, since its a pvp game ... the mobs should be so intelligent to attack especially in a gvg fight as a first party ... also you should keep in mind that they ALWAYS just help the defenders which is in my opinion lame

Thralls and souls are part of the game.  So much in fact they are part of the primary (story background) reason for us being in the campaigns to begin with.  If NPC guards have to be bought with harvested souls, makes more sense to me then simply storing them for EK use.

I agree with the first part of your message, that the souls are very important in the Crowfall story and that they justify, more than "conquering worlds in behalf of the Gods" or "scavenging worlds for resources" imo, why the heroes are going in those worlds in the first place.

However, I would prefer to not see those Thralls serve as fighting NPCs during the campaign. I would prefer if battles are won solely based on terrain, strategy, skill, gears, character builds, number of players, etc. rather than which group has the highest number of Thralls / monsters fighting on their side.

Already there will be combat pets, may the NPCs not invade the PvP battlefields.

Monsters used intelligently are just a weapon like any other. Do you disapprove of swords and arrows because they dilute the purity of pvp from the naked fisticuffs God intended?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I like the idea of roaming monsters and spontaneous events, but not when major PvP events are happening. All high percentage of PvP focused players, including myself, want as little RNG as possible in PvP to keep it as close to skill vs skill as we can. I think it's not a good idea to have monsters that roam and attack during sieges. This type of scenario is heavily favored towards the defenders in a majority of the circumstances, and trying to make it so both sides have equal chance of being affected always leaves someone unhappy (in addition to giving them something to be upset at developers about).

I played Darkfall (a PvP focused game, full loot, city sieges/destruction) for a while and often you'd have at least three separate groups at the large sieges. The attackers, defenders, and what we called "scroachers" who were clans/guilds/groups that would roam around and pick off players from either side that wandered a bit to far from their man group.

Now the scroachers themselves would frequently fight each other but very often they'd be picking off the attackers as they did not have the security of hiding behind walls. Adding roaming monsters would be similar to this as it would create more issues for the attacking force as they would likely be in the less secure location.

Terraria (like a 2D minecraft with more fighting/weapons) gives the player the ability to craft items that summon bosses which give players good rewards. Having a system similar to this where city/fort owners could craft items to initiate these types of events would not only create cool PvE content, but also promote some PvP as others would want to steal their newly found loot or potentially take advantage of the owners temporarily weakened city.

Edited by ezekiul

Monsters used intelligently are just a weapon like any other. Do you disapprove of swords and arrows because they dilute the purity of pvp from the naked fisticuffs God intended?

No, I do not disapprove of swords and arrows because they dilute the purity of pvp from the naked fisticuffs God intended.

Swords and arrows usually demand players' skill to be harmful. In the discussion I think that we were talking about waves of monsters invading fights.

No, I do not disapprove of swords and arrows because they dilute the purity of pvp from the naked fisticuffs God intended.

Swords and arrows usually demand players' skill to be harmful. In the discussion I think that we were talking about waves of monsters invading fights.

A could imagine a system where it takes more skill to control minions than it does to swing swords or shoot bows.

IhhQKY6.gif