Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blender

Interesting Article About Unity

Hey guys,

This news article came up in my google news feed today and I wanted to see what you guys thought of it?

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/06/unity-indie-gamings-biggest-engine-john-riccitiello

If you just want the quick run down: they are saying that so many people have quickly and cheaply made  games using the Unity engine and it is giving the software a bad rap.

Do you guys this this will give Crowfall any negative connotations?

Up until now I have never heard of Unity, and from all the developer videos they seem to be praising the engine's ability to do everything they want and more...

I don't know about these things, but I've heard lots of similar stuff from various gaming forums and comment sections.  Lots of people saying Unity is a horrible engine to make an MMO, and how it can't handle large numbers very well.  Kinda worrisome.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

I don't know about these things, but I've heard lots of similar stuff from various gaming forums and comment sections.  Lots of people saying Unity is a horrible engine to make an MMO, and how it can't handle large numbers very well.  Kinda worrisome.

I agree it would be very worrisome if unity didn't work for "lots of people" on screen... But the developers know this is an mmo... picking an engine that can't support a massive number of players would stupid to the max.

MOkvLlm.png

I'm sure they did their due diligence in selecting an engine for a game that centers around siege warfare.

The one thing that I'm a fan of is the collective experience of the dev team.  This isn't amateur hour.  They have learned many lessons on development and MMOs and learned most of them the hardest and most personal ways possible.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

Indeed. Also, core combat testing is going to happen very early on. If the engine runs into significant troubles, it will delay things... but they'll have time (and the funding) to crack open the hood and rebuild the parts they need to make it work.

There is a vast difference between a Unity game made by a team of five guys with limited professional experience, and a game made by a fairly well funded independent studio with a strong stable of experienced developers. 

Do you guys this this will give Crowfall any negative connotations?

No one will care if it runs well enough and gives us mostly want we are looking for engine wise. 99.9% stability, FPS 60-100+, and some slick graphics. Networking is were a HUGE focus will need to be. Best engine in the world wont matter if we all get hellish 300+ ping on servers. 

You can use baking soda to make crappy science fair volcanoes, but it also has significant mainstream commercial applications. I'll judge Crowfall on its own performance, not that of some basement "developer" who threw together some asset shop code and called it a game.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Unity has the excellent property of allowing you to mock up game systems quickly and iterate quickly. This means less time up front coding and more time making the gameplay awesome. I am also of the understanding that if Unity doesn't do something right, you can tweak that part or even replace it on a code level. I predict that a lot of the MMO back-end stuff will be developed by ACE outside of Unity and then integrated with it.

Edited by txteclipse

They have talked about how one of their developers brought over a whole game engine/code "thing" he built for another game too. Not sure what all that means but I'm hopeful

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

I don't find it surprising that there are more bad games than good games in Unity. I don't think this is an issue since Unity as a Game Engine as a pretty good reputation. Those bad games that are getting constantly released are forgotten pretty fast. However, does great games made in Unity (like The Forest) are the ones giving it reputation.

I feel like any Game Engine with easy access to amateurs will bring a lot of bad quality games. This most likely will happen to Unreal Engine 4 too.

SignatureBanner.png

For more info about my channel check my Twitter out :)

It's all relative.

At my local indie game dev meetup, developers using Unity consistently crank out the best looking/feeling prototypes.  Their experiments look like crap next to real games, but when you compare them to other people's hacked together projects, they look amazing.  Unity's strength lies in their shortened time to deployment.  Faster deployment means more effective testing.

Unity = You get to play Crowfall sooner

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

I'm cool with playing sooner, but not at the expense of performance.  Regardless, after watching the video and seeing the CF engineer saying he's not worried about it, I feel better.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

So interestingly enough, the articles says nothing about Unity itself, only that it accessibility has allowed more work to be put out there.  This is not an issue.  This is what rating systems are for and feedback on games specifically.

I read the article and all I really got is, maybe people that can afford more pricey (not necessarily better) options are the ones you do not have to worry about, which I am sure w can all point to big-name, big producer games that just do not mean they produced anything better!