Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

First Look: Knight powers and UI - Official discussion thread

Good update.  Here are some things to keep in mind....

1. Try to keep us from having to have 45 keybinds, and roll our face across the keyboard to activate additional keybinds. I like having a range of abilities, but too many games give you overkill.
  2. My assumption would be that combos would auto-animate as they become available, and allow us to keep the same core hotkey in place for an ability?
  3. I do like the potential for a skill "build up" mechanic that generates more offense and/or defense as it builds prior to use.
  4. I like the availability of "passive" skills that create wrinkles in the combat system to make combat less predictable.
  5. It is good that sprint appears to be limited in duration so my targets can't auto-run to infinity for safety.
  6. AOE abilities are fun. The problem is deciding how many are affected, min and max, by a single AOE. No stacking BS to get around AOE's please!
  7. Chain pulling sounds good in theory, but how fun will it be if 10 Knights yank someone all over the place while they get nuked to death by others? Some diminishing return should be considered. 
  8. Shield stun, i.e. stuns in general, are fun, but you'll need to look at diminishing returns so people aren't stunlocked to death.

Good update as usual though!

Edited by hades-lotd

rSHxVEY.gif

Guildmaster, LotD

From the way the forks are depicted on the character powers image, it looks like they might repurpose adjacent keys.  Hit 4 for Onslaught, then hit 4 or 5 to pick a forked combo.  This would mean that you can't use Of Noble Blood while the Onslaught combo is available, though.

Just a guess based on the layout of the image.

Anything on the A-Line is the previous key, ie 4, 4, 4 will execute Onslaught 1, 2a, 3a.

Anything on the B-Line is the currently bound to the E key, ie 4, E, E will execute Onslaught 1, 2b, 3b. (E will be able to be rebound at some point, we just haven't built rebinding functionality yet)

Since the Knight has branching combos you can perfom a 4, E, 4 to execute Onslaught 1, 2b, 3a.

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Anything on the A-Line is the previous key, ie 4, 4, 4 will execute Onslaught 1, 2a, 3a.

Anything on the B-Line is the currently bound to the E key, ie 4, E, E will execute Onslaught 1, 2b, 3b. (E will be able to be rebound at some point, we just haven't built rebinding functionality yet)

Since the Knight has branching combos you can perfom a 4, E, 4 to execute Onslaught 1, 2b, 3a.

Beautiful.

So I'm guessing no 3-option branches, but that's a livable constraint.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I'm curious what the plans are for choosing among forking combo options. For a straight line combo, I assume that I'll just hit 3 and then hit 3 again. But if I hit 4 how do I tell the system that I want to go A vs B? Please tell me I don't have to mouse to an icon popup and click my choice.

I came in here to ask the same question.

My guess though is that you are gonna go 4, 4, 4 for path A and 4, 5, 5 for path B with the possibility of course of pulling a 4, 5, 4 or a 4, 4, 5.

If this is not how it was intended... then.. let it be my suggestion, cuz it seems the most intuitive way to handle forking combos.

Oh look at that.. turns out a Dev answered and I was mistaken in my guess... (it's 4, 4, 4 or 4, E, E and so on... for those that didnt bother reading the posts before like me.. :P )

Anyhow.. then.. Devs.. here goes the suggestion once again.. Why not use 4, 4, 4 and 4, 5, 5????

It just seems to me that it handles better that way.. as well as opens up the possibility for some cool interaction between powers...

Eg. you can Swing your Onslaught chain the Knight way.. or.. the NOBLE way..  :P  :D  :D

What you guys think?

Edited by PhatPingu

Lf6MJUL.png

http://www.legend-gaming.net

Pingu - Member

---------------------------"Winter is coming"---------------------------

I'm curious to find out if the chain that the Knight uses to pull enemies/objects (allies?) is an item that is equip-able, like a sword or shield.  If the Knight doesn't have his chain can he use the skill? I guess that applies to all skills that use physical objects to deal or mitigate damage.

Screen_Shot_2015_09_13_at_3_04_43_PM.png

Check us out here.

I can see this one being very useful on april fools

Send an email to any player who gets hit by a fully-charged power to inform them that they are a bad player and need to get better (no, not really). 

I came in here to ask the same question.

My guess though is that you are gonna go 4, 4, 4 for path A and 4, 5, 5 for path B with the possibility of course of pulling a 4, 5, 4 or a 4, 4, 5.

If this is not how it was intended... then.. let it be my suggestion, cuz it seems the most intuitive way to handle forking combos.

Oh look at that.. turns out a Dev answered and I was mistaken in my guess... (it's 4, 4, 4 or 4, E, E and so on... for those that didnt bother reading the posts before like me.. :P )

Anyhow.. then.. Devs.. here goes the suggestion once again.. Why not use 4, 4, 4 and 4, 5, 5????

It just seems to me that it handles better that way.. as well as opens up the possibility for some cool interaction between powers...

Eg. you can Swing your Onslaught chain the Knight way.. or.. the NOBLE way..  :P  :D  :D

What you guys think?

Because what if I'm in the middle an Onslaught chain and actually want to use the Of Noble Blood ability? If the Of Noble Blood key just continues the Onslaught chain, how do I use the Of Noble Blood skill? That's why the separate branch is mapped to a different key I'm guessing. 

nYgae2w.png

If both mouse buttons are being used for abilities (basic attack and block), will there be mouselook?  Perhaps a combination keyboard and mouse button?

Well if the game is Aim/Reticle, Action combat based, simply moving your mouse around will mouselook.

Edited by pang

Looks good.

I'm definitely getting the Tera vibe, Crowfall's lancer. If Tera's combat was done right, er better this is gonna be great.

I also hope Confessor* is next and not Legionnaire. custard Centaurs.

* Confessor info is 1/4-1/2 of what it takes to get my money.

gCWxS8u.jpg

@Thomas,

Does this mean that the actionbar is hardlocked into 10 abilities (not taking into account combos) + x Archetype specific core abilities?

I've been searching for info on whether the skill system will be "large pool of abilities but restricted choice through hard limit of number of slots" (eg Guild Wars 1) or "large pool, no restrictions" (eg, traditional MMO/ World of Warcraft multiple hotbars, etc).

Looks pretty cool, though it seems like the Block skill on Knight went through a lot of "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if ....?" that led to it having like 7 billion purposes. :)

Edited by taroskin

Crazy Talk co-co-co-gl

Guardians of Moonforest fangirl

I don't know how I feel about Shield Slam. I feel like you'll never get off a full charge if it takes too long to charge, because you have to stand still while charging it up.

Hopefully the "full charge" is reached after 2-2.5 seconds or so. That would be manageable by setting up with your own Shield Spin stun or by combining it with another disable from someone.

I don't know how I feel about the iFrames either. It's gonna feel super poorly made socksty if you're in a 1v1 on the battlefield and you're both 1% HP, but the Knight performs his iFrame attack while you're attacking him the entire time he's in the air and but you end up dying because he was immune to everything.

The combo system seems neat. I hope it's gonna be like AoC. Their combo system was great, with the exception of being able to advance/finish combos by hitting into the air. You guys should look into it for inspiration, if you haven't already.

Also, I know this is probably just a placeholder, but I definitely feel like we need more than just 10 spell/hotkey slots. You already have 6 of them occupied, but there's only 4 left for disciplines/promotion classes. I personally think 5-6 for archetype + 5-6 for discipline + 5-6 for promotion class would be good. That would be 15-18 in total. This is assuming that you get to keep archetype spells/abilities when you choose a promotion.

15-18 in total would leave space for some cooldowns, which I see 0 of so far, and we all know that what often sets top tier players apart from other players is their cooldown usage. It would be a HUGE shame if this game didn't have any sort of cooldowns at all.

7ug90hM.png

I don't know how I feel about the iFrames either. It's gonna feel super poorly made socksty if you're in a 1v1 on the battlefield and you're both 1% HP, but the Knight performs his iFrame attack while you're attacking him the entire time he's in the air and but you end up dying because he was immune to everything.

usually iframes literally are just a few frames, aka half a second long at most.

you wont see people tanking a poorly made sockston of damage during those ;)

It should and hopefully will take skill to evade damage with those abilities.

Also, I know this is probably just a placeholder, but I definitely feel like we need more than just 10 spell/hotkey slots. You already have 6 of them occupied, but there's only 4 left for disciplines/promotion classes. I personally think 5-6 for archetype + 5-6 for discipline + 5-6 for promotion class would be good. That would be 15-18 in total. This is assuming that you get to keep archetype spells/abilities when you choose a promotion.

15-18 in total would leave space for some cooldowns, which I see 0 of so far, and we all know that what often sets top tier players apart from other players is their cooldown usage. It would be a HUGE shame if this game didn't have any sort of cooldowns at all.

mah man.

finally someone speaks my language!

You're not taking into account that promotion classes could possibly add abilities onto these combo chains.  Maybe each promotion class alters 2 abilities in some way (doesn't have to be the same 2 for all classes).

Would that be a suitable alternative?  Then those remaining hotkey slots could be used for disciplines.

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

You're not taking into account that promotion classes could possibly add abilities onto these combo chains.  Maybe each promotion class alters 2 abilities in some way (doesn't have to be the same 2 for all classes).

Would that be a suitable alternative?  Then those remaining hotkey slots could be used for disciplines.

Maybe, but I don't think it would be good to have too many combo abilities either. Another thing to keep in mind is that combos will probably feel great for melee, but I could see them being really terrible for casters for example, which would mean that casters probably won't have many combos, so they'd have "less" spells overall available to them, if you know what I mean.

I guess we're just gonna have to wait and see what they decide on doing.

7ug90hM.png

Adding onto, modifying existing or totally replacing abilities are what we intend promotions to do eventually. 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Another thing to keep in mind is that combos will probably feel great for melee, but I could see them being really terrible for casters for example, which would mean that casters probably won't have many combos, so they'd have "less" spells overall available to them, if you know what I mean.

Why would combos be terrible on casters?

IhhQKY6.gif

Why would combos be terrible on casters?

Because with animation locks, cast times and combos all at the same time, you'll pretty much be a turret/sitting duck.

Unless of course there's no animation locks for casters and you can move freely while casting and doing combos.

Edited by macavity

7ug90hM.png