Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snissel

Help us Help You

So it was noted by Jihan that Camelot Unchained has put their UI code on GitHub. There has to be a way for ACE to be able to leverage the backers with developer experience. For example I wouldn't mind writing unit tests. I don't even need to have their code. Just tell me the behavior and I can stub out the unit test for them. Heck I will even do documentation and we all know how fun that is.

I love what Camelot Unchained is doing. Allowing the backers pitch in is giving those backers a sense of ownership. I don't know about the rest of you but I want CF to be my home for a long time but if ACE won't let us help them (either by listening or active help) and then it becomes adversarial between the players and the devs.

So ACE help us help you besides all the cash we thrown at you guys lol.

Edited by snissel

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

" but if ACE won't let us help them (either by listening or active help) and then it becomes adversarial"

What makes you think they aren't reading suggestions, disagreements, etc in the forum?  Whether you believe it or not they are listening.  Thus your involvement and the involvement of every person that posts.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I think ACE has commented before on Crowdsourcing of code and development and pretty sure while they are not against it they stated its not something they'd have much interest in doing.

We help with feedback and soon playtesting feedback. We don't need to do the work for them to be able to be a part of the process, IMO.

" but if ACE won't let us help them (either by listening or active help) and then it becomes adversarial"

What makes you think they aren't reading suggestions, disagreements, etc in the forum?  Whether you believe it or not they are listening.  Thus your involvement and the involvement of every person that posts.  

I'm not saying they aren't. I know they have their vision and they are going to bend when it comes to their vision (which is good). Just from my previous mmo experience in almost all mmo's that have come out since 2001 that dev's and the players have never had a cohesive relationship. For example SWG CU update the dev's or management didn't listen and their was a huge fallout from it.

I think ACE has commented before on Crowdsourcing of code and development and pretty sure while they are not against it they stated its not something they'd have much interest in doing.

We help with feedback and soon playtesting feedback. We don't need to do the work for them to be able to be a part of the process, IMO.

The thing that I do see is that some of the kick starter goals are to hire x person. Why don't they crowd source the problem? They used crowd sourcing for money.

Edited by snissel

I'm not saying they aren't. I know they have their vision and they are going to bend when it comes to their vision (which is good). Just from my previous mmo experience in almost all mmo's that have come out since 2001 that dev's and the players have never had a cohesive relationship. For example SWG CU update the dev's or management didn't listen and their was a huge fallout from it.

The thing that I do see is that some of the kick starter goals are to hire x person. Why don't they crowd source the problem? They used crowd sourcing for money.

I don't want them to "bend" their vision. do you?  Most everyone that has backed has backed on that "vision".  They are the experts, imo.  Just because a "large number" of the backers want a "certain" thing does not mean it would, whatever it is, fit in with the CF vision.  I think that CF has had from day 1 a tremendous amount of dev interaction with the community.  

As to "why"  they don't crowd source?  They may have chosen not to, as simple as that.  Their game, their decisions.   Could be the legal implications.  Some simple solutions, in our eyes, have a much larger potential "price tag"  on the back end.  

Sounds like you want to "work" for an indie company helping to make a game "hands-on".   This is maybe not the one.  

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I'd say ACE knows Crowfall and its development better than anyone else. They also have a vast amount of experience with building mmos that exceeds crowd sourcing. I agree with Ellie that devs actually look through player suggestions and take hints from player discussions. The most likely case is that it's difficult to keep track of player discussions due to the amount of forum activities and their work load.

At this point, it could be a distraction to them when they are trying to build the core.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

I don't want them to "bend" their vision. do you?  Most everyone that has backed has backed on that "vision".  They are the experts, imo.  Just because a "large number" of the backers want a "certain" thing does not mean it would, whatever it is, fit in with the CF vision.  I think that CF has had from day 1 a tremendous amount of dev interaction with the community.  

As to "why"  they don't crowd source?  They may have chosen not to, as simple as that.  Their game, their decisions.   Could be the legal implications.  Some simple solutions, in our eyes, have a much larger potential "price tag"  on the back end.  

Sounds like you want to "work" for an indie company helping to make a game "hands-on".   This is maybe not the one.  

Ooops, typo, that should have said not bend their vision.

My bad.

Lol hell no would I want to work for the gaming industry again, ten years at Nintendo is enough. All I'm saying is coding and the work associated with can be shared. For example I know of a CF backer who is an AWS expert, he worked on most of the AWS API. I'm sure there is no one at ACE who knows AWS as well as he does. If ACE was to pose an AWS question I bet you he could answer it for free so ACE doesn't have to pay for AWS support.

All I'm saying is the backer have a stake in this game. This is not some $50 game to us. I don't see why ACE can't leverage the backers diverse experience and expertise. 

Edited by snissel

Ooops, typo, that should have said not bend their vision.

My bad.

Lol hell no would I want to work for the gaming industry again, ten years at Nintendo is enough. All I'm saying is coding and the work associated with can be shared. For example I know of a CF backer who is an AWS expert, he worked on most of the AWS API. I'm sure there is no one at ACE who knows AWS as well as he does. If ACE was to pose an AWS question I bet you he could answer it for free so ACE doesn't have to pay for AWS support.

All I'm saying is the backer have a stake in this game. This is not some $50 game to us. I don't see why ACE can't leverage the backers diverse experience and expertise. 

All I can tell you is to have your "friend" backer e-mail ACE and offer.  No harm in trying.  Whether they take you or your friend up on the offer is up to them. I would think though this is not the type of thing that should be offered/ discussed in other medium, not on the forum.