Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blackfire1

Blackfire1's New Persons Guide To Beta Testing.

Update: Slight quality of life changes. AKA English. >.>

Blackfire1's New Players Guide to Beta Testing
*This message was delivered by a lowly minion. Please return minion back to sender in original condition. Minion is expensive to replace. Minion is not a cup holder. Please do not stick minion into a blender or microwave. Minion inc. is not responsible for damages to said kitchen appliance(s). Do not Pass go with Minion. Do not give Minion $200.00. Thank You.*

You should remove the "entitled" aspect of your post. I explicitly paid for certain access so don't make it seem that I'm lucky that ACE chose me to be in alpha/beta. 

If I received an invitation to do testing then you would be correct.

Edit: Just saw your recent last post about its a generalized beta testing post. I would edit this in the context of Crowfall. If you are going to maintain it then it should be explicit to Crowfall.

Edited by snissel

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

Edit: Just saw your recent last post about its a generalized beta testing post. I would edit this in the context of Crowfall. If you are going to maintain it then it should be explicit to Crowfall.

If I maintained the guide for every game I've tested or will be testing I'd have well over 175 versions. In all honestly that was kinda why I made a generalized one. I got tired of re-designing custom guides every few months. Crowfall, as we all can agree, is not exactly industry standard. But the soul of developing is always the same. 

You do bring up a good point however. I don't have a sub section for Crowdfunded or Early Access games. *gets to work* 

Edited by Blackfire1

*This message was delivered by a lowly minion. Please return minion back to sender in original condition. Minion is expensive to replace. Minion is not a cup holder. Please do not stick minion into a blender or microwave. Minion inc. is not responsible for damages to said kitchen appliance(s). Do not Pass go with Minion. Do not give Minion $200.00. Thank You.*

If I maintained the guide for every game I've tested or will be testing I'd have well over 175 versions. In all honestly that was kinda why I made a generalized one. I got tired of re-designing custom guides every few months. Crowfall, as we all can agree, is not exactly industry standard. But the soul of developing is always the same. 

You do bring up a good point however. I don't have a sub section for Crowdfunded or Early Access games. *gets to work* 

If you're not going to do the work specifically for this game (you can't even edit the NDA information?), then what value are you providing?

Anyone can copy and paste common sense and generic known information.  

Bottom line is this is wholly unnecessary; the developer will give all testers specifically what they need to know. 

If you're going to help the community, which is great, do it in an area where it matters.  But it appears you're just glory-hounding anyway.

Edited by lethality

zjsbjmn.png

But it appears you're just glory-hounding anyway.

You knew that before you even clicked into the thread. Any thread title containing the poster's name is a dead giveaway.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

So this is the type of player base this game is going to have? Honestly? If this guide is of no help to you then IGNORE IT and move on. This guide was for people and I quote "WHO HAVE NEVER BETA TESTed A GAME OR PROGRAM BEFORE EVER."

Common sense is not common. Not all beta test structures are the same. Many people just use beta tests as a free preview and never do anything constructive. Others think that's what they are for but want to get more out of it. This is for them. I'm trying to be helpful and use my experience in a positive way. Don't like it? Congrats. More then likely you don't need it. Move on.

Also I attach my name to it because I've had this guide stolen and published on MMORPG and IGN back in '08. (typos and all) That was a poorly made socks storm of a time. 

Edited by Blackfire1

While I appreciate what your intentions were, you had to realize you were going to get alot of push back when posting a unedited general guide to testing which has numerous inconsistencies with Crowfall's testing structure.

Perhaps next time you could try and edit the content before posting incorrect or irrelevant information?

Edited by Zandur

While I appreciate what your intentions were, you had to realize you were going to get alot of push back when posting a unedited general guide to testing which has numerous inconsistencies with Crowfall's testing structure.

Perhaps next time you could try and edit the content before posting incorrect or irrelevant information?

Looks like I'm going to have to. Over ten years of posting this guide in its various incarnations and never have I've been yelled at so hard for nuance. This guide was knowledge meant to transgress the game which it is learned from. It's meant to be taken and applied elsewhere and refined into each individuals testing style. 

Thank you for the input. 

The social context in the Crowfall community should be expected to differ noticeably from that of most other games. Crowfall is very much an "us vs them" game, and can be expected to attract the kind of players who naturally gravitate towards that style of thinking.

When you post a document which was clearly not created nor revised for Crowfall specifically, you are defining yourself as "not one of us". Whether that's either fair or useful is irrelevant to the monkey tribe politics of our corner of the internet; an outsider is an enemy.

People are funny, eh?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

God damn it and I forgot to do laundry.  :D

Edited by Blackfire1

Interesting guide! I guess that some parts have already been rewritten to adapt it to Crowfall, like the crowdfunding information : "However with the advent of crowdfunding and early access it has opened up a great deal of uncontrollable variables. There are now games that no longer fit the standard testing model."

Good tips for the people who have never been testing before and possibly a reminder for veteran testers too!

Tips & Tricks

1.Take notes.
Write it all down. There will be times you forget things simply because of sensory overload.
Try to keep an idea of your over all experience while playing. What felt right? What felt confusing? Was there any glitches or bugs that you see instantly?

2. Find a bug, try to recreate it.
If you find a problem. Retry to recreate it. Make sure you remember/write down your steps you used to cause the problem in the first place. Chances are if its more then 2-4 steps not everyone has noticed it. This can also including taking pictures of error messages and explaining in detail the results of the problem.

3. Report bug(s).
These can come as graphical errors, typos, ability errors, gameplay problems such as not getting XP, money or rewards, ect.
Generally you will report the bugs as you see them, giving as much information as you can muster. If you can repeat it, tell your steps.

Edited by courant101

For as long as I live it will be in constant evolution. 

I'm not sure why there's always one person who comes out of the woodwork, bearing this knowledge that they think others don't know or that the developers won't tell them.

The quality of intent by the OP significantly surpasses the narrow-minded b_yotch-ism you've just displayed.  In the end, given the sheer sewer-trash level stuff I've seen in gaming forums over the years, his wasn't really all that bad, was it? B)

Remember:  The Crowfall Community doesn't start at release . . . it starts here.  The forums are one barometer of the quality of Players that will enter Crowfall.

For good, or ill.

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

The quality of intent by the OP significantly surpasses the narrow-minded b_yotch-ism you've just displayed.  In the end, given the sheer sewer-trash level stuff I've seen in gaming forums over the years, his wasn't really all that bad, was it? B)

Remember:  The Crowfall Community doesn't start at release . . . it starts here.  The forums are one barometer of the quality of Players that will enter Crowfall.

For good, or ill.

Well said and thank you for understanding that. 

I'm going to bump this since we had a huge influx of players the last few months. Not to mention my guild has had some new blood ourselfs come in. Hopefully it's of use. Enjoy.

Edited by Blackfire1