Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Peter Molyneux of MMOS

stebs

Stumbled upon this game in my never ending quest to find something that doesn't bore me after a few months. The closest thing I had to fun PvP was in Aion. Archeage was a close second before they messed everything up.

I like the art style and the apparent direction they are going with the game but the promises on the front page just screams Molyneux.

So, Todd and Gordon, are you guys going to deliver or are you just trying to build hype to sell founder packs?

This probably doesn't deserve its own thread but I wanted to look cool and make some-what witty references.

Archeage was a close second before they messed everything up.

explain to me what they messed up...

the game didn't change at all, since it got released... everything was evident from the very beginning

and don't bore me with apex exploit and so on... that didn't change jackpoorly made socks about how the game is played.

Adding thunderstruck trees to the cash shop.

Bringing out T2 and T3 Hasla weapons at the same time.

Adding the sloth glider to the cash shop.

None of that was known when the game launched, and that counts as messing up pretty hard.

Failed Auroria launch, founder promises that were never kept pissing off everyone, numerous exploits and hacks, resulting in innocent players getting banned in the chaos with no help from support as well as those banned for things such as teleport hacking and land hacking were given slaps on the wrist.

Publishing for a foreign developer is understandably difficult but it's not an excuse for EVERYTHING. 

They tossed around their subscribers like they didn't matter and lost many people who invested time and money into their founder packs. Why would you mess with your most loyal followers?

I'm not even sure why you would ask that question when it's that easy to list so many screw ups.

I would just hate for this game to do the same. These guys are experienced though. Who knows, maybe they will save us with their revolutionary MMO. All aboard the hype train!! WHOO WHOO!

Edit: spelling and words are hard

Edited by stebs

the thing is, nothing of that changed the core gameplay, which was presented many many months before

I don't understand people quitting over "petty" poorly made socks like that.

I don't agree with how they handled the exploits and all that poorly made socks, bot oh well, nearly no company does that adequately, so why be surprised there.

Imo people just realized they couldn't stand the grind and suddenly they can't really compete anymore. All that other stuff is just a welcome excuse to quit the game.

I'm not defending the game, but I'm sick of ppl complaining about poorly made socks that was blatantly obvious in the "alpha stage" of the game

I was promised stuff as a founder that I never got. I paid money for something that I was told I was going to get but didn't receive. Preeeetttty good reason to complain and quit. if it were obvious that they were going to do that since alpha then I wouldn't have purchased it. 

So, Todd and Gordon, are you guys going to deliver or are you just trying to build hype to sell founder packs?

Terrible first post but welcome to the community I guess. Below is their view on our money at this time.

Guys, it's very flattering -- and I love the enthusiasm -- but we don't want your money yet.  We haven't earned it. 

Todd

ACE

Edited by noobzilla_youtube

What does Archeage have to do with either of these guys? That's like saying "I won't play Half Life 3 because Daikatana was a flop"

Looking at other games and where they failed is something developers say they do but don't, since obviously the same mistakes keep happening.

This thread wasn't initially about Archeage but the games shortcomings still apply. Daikat-what?

@Noob

Thank you for the compliment and the welcome :)

Every budding company needs money. It's only a matter of time before the $200 founder packs roll out.

@Noob

Thank you for the compliment and the welcome :)

Every budding company needs money. 

Without a doubt. Time will tell how this all unfolds but despite being burned in the past, I won't give up hope until I have reason to

explain to me what they messed up...

the game didn't change at all, since it got released... everything was evident from the very beginning

and don't bore me with apex exploit and so on... that didn't change jack**** about how the game is played.

No they changed gameplay as well. They changed how to obtain Archeum. In the alpha stage, Archeum could be obtained by Evenstoning Dungeon Drops. After that, they made it where you could not break down Dungeon Gear, making Archeum that much rare and that much more of a grind to get gear. Instead of being able to do a fun dungeon with friends, you instead had to farm one mob over and over for Coinpurses and have high enough Larceny to gain Archeum from that. To counter the slow way of gaining Archeum, they added the Rumbling Archeum Tree Sapling, which ones again changed the way to obtain gear, again changing the way the game played. Now instead of running dungeons or grinding the same mob, you bought a tree from the cash shop and waited an hour. 

They also funneled game content that was originally available in not only Alpha but Beta as well. Serpentis was available immediately as was the Sea of Drowned Love. Not only did they wait to release this content, but they also released them separately, despite them being sister dungeons that depended on each other to obtain the loot from. Since they funneled these two end-game dungeons that once again I mention were available in Alpha and Beta, there was significantly less content once you reached level 50. 

Another way they altered gameplay from early phases was the way Trade Routes were ran. Originally you could run same continent Trade Runs to obtain Gilda Stars. They updated this with making it so you could only obtain Gilda Stars by crossing the ocean to the other continent or to Freedich Isle, much limiting crafters and farmers. 

So no, you can't say they did not change the gameplay at all since players could originally support it. Regardless of gameplay changes or in you case lack thereof, the handling of the game's other issues such as mentioned hacks, exploits, cash shop grab, horrible server stability, etc, does not outweigh a game's mechanic. I loved ArcheAge Alpha and played countless hours trying to be the best of the best on release. However after the horrible handling of Auroria and post-issues, even though I grinded out gear and weapons, I couldn't continue to play the game let alone support the company.

And before you say it's because I actually hated the grind, I had already every Hasla weapon and the tokens for the Tier 3 version farmed. I had Magnificent and Epherium armor. I had every ship and multiple land plots and houses. I had every tree leveled to 50. My guild had control over every world boss, even Kraken and I had my Kraken scepter. Upon Auroria Launch, my Guild took two castles, one under our name, the other under an ally guild. We had cleared Serpentis with numerous groups. 

Even so, when Trion World and XLGames made it so the more you pulled out your wallet, the better you were and the more you had, despite the amount of time I had put into ArcheAge and the enjoyment I got out of it, I was through. When a player that purchases Apex and Cash Shop items and selling them could have 100,000 gold by spending thousands of real money, that is not a fair system and not an enjoyable game any longer. So yes, Trion Worlds and XL Games did mess up ArcheAge and you're disillusioned if you think they didn't.