Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Santovenia

Please don't build any stuns (or equivalent) into the game.

I know there are similar threads but with this patch in mind, I'd like to voice my very uneducated opinion.

Please please please don't leave any stuns or their equivalent in this game.  In other words if an ability completely disables my character so that I can not move, cast, or attack- I would prefer if it didn't exist. Slowing, rooting, snaring, even blinds are fine but please no stuns! The difference between a root and stun is that a root will allow you to move very very slowly until it fades away. The difference between a snare and a stun is that the snare may hold you in place for a few seconds, but you can still attack if you're in range, or use your abilities.

I understand why there is a need for Crowd Control in this type of game, but I hate being completely helpless and I'm sure many others would agree.

....I made a poll to go with this, but now I can't seem to find it.

Edited by Santovenia

Stuns are needed IMO because there should be the ability to 100% take a player out of the combat. Even when a player is rooted or slowed he can still attack. Sometimes you need to make it so they can't attack for a time.  So yeah can argue the duration of the stuns but I feel they play an important role in combat.

Edited by pang

Well we can debate on duration and types of CC but honestly I don't think its realistic at all to think there should be none.  I really can't even imagine what PvP combat would be like with no CC, might be more akin to a FPS where its just run and gun and zerg. Doesn't sound at all fun to me for an MMORPG.

did you even read his post?

did you even read his post?

I think he meant CC to be stun.

Topic - I think that if most significant duration fully incapacitating stuns should be avoidable but not be taken out of the game.  In the update today the confessor's stun is at the end of a 10 second debuff or on the second part of a combo.  This opens up the opportunity for completely avoiding the disable.  I'm also hoping that there are desyncs or maybe the iframe can allow for split second instant stun avoidance.  Completely removing stun seems silly to me. 

Screen_Shot_2015_09_13_at_3_04_43_PM.png

Check us out here.

I don't mind hard cc but they should be short duration and not all too common... part of playing games is playing the actual game and it gets really boring when you are just doing the rock paper scissors of CC vs CCbreak until one side runs out....

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I think he meant CC to be stun.

Topic - I think that if most significant duration fully incapacitating stuns should be avoidable but not be taken out of the game.  In the update today the confessor's stun is at the end of a 10 second debuff or on the second part of a combo.  This opens up the opportunity for completely avoiding the disable.  I'm also hoping that there are desyncs or maybe the iframe can allow for split second instant stun avoidance.  Completely removing stun seems silly to me. 

http://crowfall.com/#/news/first-look-confessor-powers

The first power in the active power tray is Flames of Truth, this instant power applies a debuff to the target under the Confessor’s reticle, which does nothing for 10 seconds. When the debuff expires after 10 seconds it applies damage and stuns the target for three seconds. This power has a combo off of it that enables the Confessor to instantly detonate the Flames of Truth on the target which deals less damage than waiting out the 10 seconds but instantly stuns the target for two seconds.

I'm more worried about stuns in general than the specifics of the abilities that are still in the development phase.

iFrame instant stun avoidance would be a reasonable stun breaker imo, but they've stated that not every class will have iframe abilities- which is very worrisome also.

"....we only plan on giving some of the archetypes access to these powers"

The good news is that these guys know what they're doing and have already told us that this will probably all change multiple times.  I just want to make sure I voice my opinion and if it's a popular one that fits within their vision, it gets considered.

I feel stun is needed. I'f you have a glass cannon standing there shooting tons of damage and they also have a support to keep them alive then I don't think they will care about a snare/root. They will just stand there like they have been and cast that damage. 

It's not just a movement control it can interrupt abilities which also makes players question if it's the right time to use this abilities OR they can just stand there and spam their abilities like crazy no risk and also mindless.

I think stuns are good and they have proven their place in many MMO's before. 

YannMLq.png

I do feel stuns have their place, but I would much rather they be used for disruption then for lockdown, also as long as they get diminishing returns right so focus fire stunlocking isnt a thing we should be all good. 

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

The power of a stun depends entirely on the abilities that exist in the game in general.  There are so many things we don't know,  there is no way we can even begin to discuss this.

• Is it possible to 100 - 0 someone in the stun window?
  • Is the game about cat and mouse trying to catch someone out of position, stun them and kill them?
  • How long does it take to get back into the battle when you die? What are those mechanics anyway?
  • How many people are going to be needed to one shot someone? How fast can this be done again(cooldowns)?

I agree with one thing, its pretty poorly made socksty to get one shot especially when it takes 5 minutes to get back to the battle.  So that I would definitely not want to see, but to blanket ask for no CC doesn't make sense when none of these other things are clear.

Edited by Strike5150

I said the same in the soft CC subject, it would be nice if they went with a variety of soft CC.

You don't snare or root a mage whose confident enough to nuke your face off, you silence or interrupt him. There are dozens of forms of partial disables which can be mixed more liberally throughout the game, causing players to seek the right action or opponent which they can circumstantially defeat with their variety of CC.

A mix of Soft CC can be dumped on one foe to root them, disable blocks, attacks, spells, and gap closers, that way at the very least, several actions and assailants are necessary to fully suppress a foe.

Things like animation locking are already going to put players in jeopardy for executing their own actions, they shouldn't have to worry about protracted stuns or complex stun chain,immunity and removal systems.

In my opinion, the only good stun is a stagger simular to a fighting game, where a combo of attacks may suppress a foe briefly yet repeatedly as long as your being hit, but in a group competitive environment even those should be limited to certain actions.

Things like ongoing combos or channeling spells force the offender to remain engaged and stationary while they suppress their foe, meaning they open themself up to someone else's attack and leave an opening for another foe to interfere with them, pummeling their back or interrupting their assault.

I'm hoping the exchanges in this game follow a simulation of commitments, vulnerabilities and dangers associated with any action, including attempts to disable a foe.

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I know there are similar threads but with this patch in mind, I'd like to voice my very uneducated opinion.

Please please please don't leave any stuns or their equivalent in this game.  In other words if an ability completely disables my character so that I can not move, cast, or attack- I would prefer if it didn't exist. Slowing, rooting, snaring, even blinds are fine but please no stuns! The difference between a root and stun is that a root will allow you to move very very slowly until it fades away. The difference between a snare and a stun is that the snare may hold you in place for a few seconds, but you can still attack if you're in range, or use your abilities.

I understand why there is a need for Crowd Control in this type of game, but I hate being completely helpless and I'm sure many others would agree.

....I made a poll to go with this, but now I can't seem to find it.

Complety disagree. Please no blinds, slows, roots! Those types of "soft CC" are often on low cd and long duration; i rather counter a 3s stun than not able to counter a 6 second blind or a 40 second 90% slow!

I AM ME!
I love you all.

Complety disagree. Please no blinds, slows, roots! Those types of "soft CC" are often on low cd and long duration; i rather counter a 3s stun than not able to counter a 6 second blind or a 40 second 90% slow!

Well get that out of your head right now, there WILL be cc and as we have seen from the released powers from knight and fessor there will be a multitude of cc both hard and soft. CC is a part of play counter/play mechanics. What everyone wants a skill based game until it comes to actually managing offensive and defensive skills? Permalockdown is stupid but all cc has its place when done correctly

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002