Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oridi

Koster's role in CF clarified a bit. Now I'm baffled.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/9888/General-Raph-Koster-on-MMOs-Their-Future-and-Crowfalls-Place-in-the-Mix.html

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on the board but as far as the Crowfall/Koster/Crafting mix that some of us thought was in place - it's uncertain if it's actually a reality.

In the above interview Koster says "Oh, I'm still actively working with them, but it isn't just "he's doing the crafting." It isn't that straightforward. I'm almost like an editor on call. "Hey, here's a design thing that we're wrestling with. Come in and look at it, give us your opinion, and help us arrive at decisions."

My first read on the line above was "He's doing more than just the crafting."  My friend read it as "He's not doing the crafting, he's doing consulting but not only on crafting and he's not lead on the crafting."

What are your thoughts?  

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

An outside consultant is never the "lead" on anything. Someone on staff always makes the final calls. With that said, if you've chosen a good consultant you don't tend to second-guess him very much.

I don't see anything in that quote which contradicts the tenor of the relationship that's been described to us previously, for example here: https://youtu.be/zltIihDcuQY

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I think Todd responded to your crafting update request that Koster was a design consultant. As such crafting is only one of the system designs he was/will be consulted on. It was always a bit foolish to assume this game would include an *amazing* Koster crafting system as a stand alone feature, it has to fit with the CF product not the other way around. Some have tried to explain that many times.

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

the interview actually answered it....

Somebody older and wiser than me replied, "I understand you don't like the direction this artist is going. That's fine. At the same time, if you're a fan, you should be willing to follow them wherever they go. You won't necessarily like the new direction, but if you appreciate their work, let them explore. It's how they do what they do. "Being 100% beholden to an audience and doing only what they expect of you can feel like a straitjacket.

I'm not complaining. I love that people still want me to come back and make sandbox MMOs, but I worry sometimes that people have built up this picture in their heads that I'll come back and solve all of the problems.

Pretty sure I have told you this month's ago.

You choose to ignore it as many others have.

I was a nice little interview, but nothing new really

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Pretty sure I have told you this month's ago.

You choose to ignore it as many others have.

I was a nice little interview, but nothing new really

I think we are all aware that Oridi actively chooses not to listen to people here.

I guess I would have to ask the question "Why?"  Why would anyone have thought that Koster was lead dev for the crafting system  when since the time he was listed he was always listed as a "consultant"?  Wanting something to BE one way does not make it so.  No amount of pushing the dev's for answers, continually bringing up his name, posting numerous times about "Koster Crafting"  was going to change ACE's mind about the role he was playing in CF.  

8 pages January 25th   http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1164-the-arrival-of-koster-and-dealing-with-the-train-he-brings-with-him/

Here we are 6 months , almost later, and if the word " consultant "  was not typed at in the numerous threads that came after that it wasn't typed once.  I know myself I typed it a dozen times at least.   IF the realization has just come to you, then you have 18 months plus to make peace with it.  

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

My first read on the line above was "He's doing more than just the crafting."  My friend read it as "He's not doing the crafting, he's doing consulting but not only on crafting and he's not lead on the crafting."

What are your thoughts? 

Interesting article, good idea to share it on the forums.

I'm pretty sure that he has been significantly more active in certain fields of Crowfall development like the crafting and the economy.

I think that he's very invested in the project and his title of consultant alone doesn't offer much insight about his involvement in Crowfall.

Here are a couple of older articles and posts concerning Raph and his implication in the design of the crafting and economy systems of CF :

• I’m [Thomas Blair] the design lead, which means that I manage the design team. It’s also my job to sit in on the brainstorming meetings between J.Todd Coleman and Raph Koster ... a system that came directly out of one of those meetings, and ended up becoming one of the central ideas behind crafting in Crowfall ... The recipe system is heavily inspired by the designs that Raph Koster created on both UO and SWG

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1214/feature/9325/Crowfall-Building-Upon-Star-Wars-Galaxies-Crafting.html

• Marrying these two systems [strategic territorial conquest and player-driven crafting & economics] is like the "holy grail" of virtual world development. ... I am delighted to (finally) reveal our ongoing collaboration with Raph Koster. ... He was the lead designer on both Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies from inception through launch; two games which really "set the bar" for crafting systems in a virtual world. If you are curious what we've been up to with Raph ... one facet of the crafting system: the system for refining Metallic Alloys.
  • The hard part about designing a game to have a real economy is that it permeates everything about the game. I mean, let's just backtrack it just a little, and you'll see what I mean. You want crafters to matter. That means that loot can't be dominant over crafted items. That means that killing monsters can't be the core activity of the game, it needs to support multiple pillars. This blows up all your spawning system plans from the norm. That means that your economy needs to support more than a simple faucet of goods and drains of resources ...

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1695-ask-the-team/?p=63269

vsqqBMO.jpg?1   pxAcfDJ.jpg?1   p5dTAHS.jpg?1

Design meetings

Edited by courant101

But let's not forget Todd's latest response to Oridi on June 26th requesting a Crafting update.

"I spend around 50% to 75% of my week (an estimate, but not a bad one) working on the overall design architecture.  When I interface with Raph, that's what we discuss: my architectural blueprints for the game (which I will share with you guys at some point, they are a tool that I use to visualize the game; basically a handful of interlocking flow diagram that show how currencies move between systems.  Currencies meaning everything from 'gold' to 'stamina' to 'player characters').  

MY focus is almost exlusively on the metagame level, i.e. the things that tie the game together: world construction, resource spawning and transport, item sinks and decay, stronghold upkeep/destruction/repair/taxes, sieging, economy, user flow between the worlds, training and blessing.  

...and yes, of course, crafting."

And Raph's own words from the interview

Koster: Oh, I'm still actively working with them, but it isn't just "he's doing the crafting." It isn't that straightforward. I'm almost like an editor on call. "Hey, here's a design thing that we're wrestling with. Come in and look at it, give us your opinion, and help us arrive at decisions."

I'll get a pile of design documents to read, and I'll actually go to Austin and sit with them. They'll walk me through game systems, decisions, and open questions. I'll be a designer on the team, having discussions with them. Periodically, we'll spend a few hours on a long Skype video call, holding up sketches in front of the camera as we try to explain design ideas to each other.

I am glad Koster is involved in more then just crafting.  He is an absolute asset to any company.  I know many people who have signed up to crowfall just because of his involvement.

Edited by Nakawe

He's occasionally offering assistance on the crafting.  I've never had the feeling he's playing a huge role in it.  I think in part they just wanted to have his name attached to the project and so they may have been overhyping a bit what his involvement was.  It would've been great, IMHO, if Koster had been made an integral part of the team and been put in charge of crafting, though.