Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Multiple parcels, same inventory?

Ok, a real game design post from me, don't stroke out....

Let's say people reward me for being the great board warrior I am, so they give me a parcel each in many kingdoms. So, I'm sitting on say 20 parcels, all in different kingdoms. I'd be best suited to put a shop there. But will I need to stock 20 shops with 20 shields or can my 1 shop share the same inventory across several eternal kingdoms in which I have a shop? It'd work like an auction house only in the idea that I can go to any auctioneer and see the same items.

Could someone go to any shop of mine in any eternal kingdom and see the same inventory?

Edited by headlight

I don't like it. When you make one Giant Robogordon Animated Lawn Ornament that object should exist in one place and be purchaseable from one store. If you want everyone to buy from you then you should place your shop in one market kingdom and ensure that people know that if they want to buy the best Giant Robogordon Animated Lawn Ornaments they should come to your shop in that kingdom.

A system which allowed the same inventory to be sold from multiple shop presence locations would just end up with every market kingdom being a copy of every other, with a McHeadlights, a JTC Penney's, and a CheckYoBucks everywhere you look.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Ok, so the mall analogy sounds good.

I'm a small time guy so I can only afford a McHeadlights and a CheckYoBucks. But the realtor down the road, he can afford the McHeadlights, the CheckYoBucks, the JihanWorld, the Blessings & Giggles, the JihanWorks, JTC Penney's, etc.

Obviously, I'm going to the larger mall. Does that devalue the brand? No. Maybe the smaller EK should diversify but it doesn't mean that a larger EK can't be the mall of choice. And your argument is that there shouldn't be a copy in every EK. Who's to say that even if my inventory isn't universally available that as well renown crafter I can't have a McHeadlight's in ever EK anyhow/

Are you wanting to make it harder for the crafter? Because neither scenario impacts the EK King.

That would work. You still have to go to the other EK's, so the social and economic impact is still made. You commented on this in Slack, so I'm paraphrasing you. Also, TheDoctor had an idea of a higher upfront cost to satellite out your other branches to make it more fair to crafters that can't afford to be a big brand.

Ok, so the mall analogy sounds good.

I'm a small time guy so I can only afford a McHeadlights and a CheckYoBucks. But the realtor down the road, he can afford the McHeadlights, the CheckYoBucks, the JihanWorld, the Blessings & Giggles, the JihanWorks, JTC Penney's, etc.

Obviously, I'm going to the larger mall. Does that devalue the brand? No. Maybe the smaller EK should diversify but it doesn't mean that a larger EK can't be the mall of choice. And your argument is that there shouldn't be a copy in every EK. Who's to say that even if my inventory isn't universally available that as well renown crafter I can't have a McHeadlight's in ever EK anyhow/

It certainly doesn't devalue the brand at a per-vendor level; as the owner of JihanWorld and JihanWorks, I'm perfectly happy to set up my shops anywhere.

But it does devalue the brand when you step up to the scale of the mall. Why does anyone want to visit Headlight Plaza when they could go to The Jihan Galleria and see all the same inventory plus some? How does a kingdom differentiate itself when all the content is the same? Your suggestion makes every market kingdom basically identical, which is fine for vendors but awful for kingdom operators.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

As a vendor, I'd want my McHeadlight's every where. Yeah, may be a bit boring for kingdom operators when they know that everyone has the same vendors. And realistically until someone gains some kind of notoriety, only the bloodstones will have EKs worth a damn in the beginning anyhow and they'll all be copies of each other.

But if you want the good stuff, you'll got a McHeadlight's near you. That'll benefit the kingdom operators. They should only care about the revenue they're generating from me making a sell in their EK. If you're telling me that I can't use the same inventory, then you're telling huge crafting conglomerates that they're going to be the ones with the advantage vs. the little guy.

Instead of a higher cost, perhaps you lose X amount of profit for X number of shops you advertise your merchandise in.

IE:  I sell a shield for 100g.  I sell it in one shop it's free; there's no vendor charge.  I advertise the item in another shop and I lose 10%; so I'd now make 90g.  Three shops, 20%, 80g.  So on and so forth until I no longer make any money.

Change up the numbers/ratios and you'd be good to go.

[@--(o.O)@]

Hehe was much faster discussing this on slack.

But, as I said, I really don't see a point in total localisation in the eks, since there won't be any risk involved in travelling.

When the social aspect of forcing people to visit as many eks as possible came up, I argued that the more time I have to spend loading and looking at different t vendors, the less time I will have to be social.

If it takes too much of my time, I will most likely just skip shopping at all.

I do not mind having everything localised in the CWS though. It have the potential to create interesting and unplanned game play there.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

First off I'm confused as to what y'all are doing all this shopping for. Even if you are playing high-import campaigns you only need to stock up once every few months. It's not like you're going to be popping out to the EKs twice a night to restock potions.

Also, to the extent that EK shopping does turn out to be a thing, I'm confident that there will be market kingdoms which set themselves up and advertise themselves as one-stop shops.

Tully

First off I'm confused as to what y'all are doing all this shopping for. Even if you are playing high-import campaigns you only need to stock up once every few months. It's not like you're going to be popping out to the EKs twice a night to restock potions.

Also, to the extent that EK shopping does turn out to be a thing, I'm confident that there will be market kingdoms which set themselves up and advertise themselves as one-stop shops.

You are right of course.

It did seem like I was going shopping a lot.

Which I doubt I will be.

But that just leafs me back to the original.

It is just the eks. No real good reason to not doing it really.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Building for your own EK, resources, fluff items and such will likely be the biggest part of the market IMO.

also Uncle Pangs Wonderment Emporium will rule them all (no not really).

Could someone go to any shop of mine in any eternal kingdom and see the same inventory?

Doubt this is how it will be implemented.  You have an account inventory, which I'm sure your shop (with a shopkeeper thrall) will require you to add items for sale from your inventory.  We're going to have capacity limits on our account inventory and the ability to expand our inventory (possibly via the in-game store), so you wouldn't want, logistically, shop items in your account inventory.  

IF you have 20 shops, you'll most likely need to manage all of them individually.  Although, it would be nice to have an interface to see all of our shops and which ones have low volume... transactions... etc.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

I'm really not a fan of the thrall shop idea as it's currently designed. Similar personal shops systems in the past have caused issues were hubs or major towns would be filled to the brim with personal shops making finding what you want really difficult and time consuming. This is mainly the reason why the global AH system was introduced and has been a mainstay for a while.

If they want to go this route, I feel there has be some global way for players to search for the items they want, but still require them to travel to them (perhaps mark the location on the map?). And for sellers, like Nyt mentioned, an easy interface for them to keep track of everything.

I'm really not a fan of the thrall shop idea as it's currently designed. Similar personal shops systems in the past have caused issues were hubs or major towns would be filled to the brim with personal shops making finding what you want really difficult and time consuming. This is mainly the reason why the global AH system was introduced and has been a mainstay for a while.

If they want to go this route, I feel there has be some global way for players to search for the items they want, but still require them to travel to them (perhaps mark the location on the map?). And for sellers, like Nyt mentioned, an easy interface for them to keep track of everything.

The current design is to encourage social interaction (regardless if you end up buying from a thrall).  EKs, by design, are not going to be created equal and it'll be up to the EK owner to setup and advertise their EK as a major trade hub.  I'm sure the community will build an external website for players to promote their goods and where to find their shops.

I agree though, it would be nice if the EK map would at least have support for grid coordinates.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

I agree with Jihan in only wanting one vendor bot to have a single inventory not shared. This adds to the economic PvP in that the highest trafficked vendor EKs will be that much more desirable with non shared vendor inventory. With limited slots those slots gain value, also denying those slots to enemy guilds makes it harder for them to sell their wares which slows their guilds economic growth. While its not the fast rush of combat I know I have more then a few guildies who always loved manipulating markets and funding the guild through the efforts.

Edited by wargasmo

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

The current design is to encourage social interaction (regardless if you end up buying from a thrall). EKs, by design, are not going to be created equal and it'll be up to the EK owner to setup and advertise their EK as a major trade hub. I'm sure the community will build an external website for players to promote their goods and where to find their shops.

I agree though, it would be nice if the EK map would at least have support for grid coordinates.

How is shopping in any way a social interaction?

If anything, if it's too time consuming, it takes away from social interaction

I think it depends on how wide spread crafters are. If there are a couple hundred main craters in the game and their inventory does not spread out to all their EK shops then there will only be tens of booming major Ek's that everyone will sit in in their off campaign time to buy and sell stuff. Doesn't sound like a bad issue (especially concidering this is a thronewar simulator) except for the fact that it will be very hard to break into the market share of big EK'shops if you are a new commer. So I guess it boils down to make everyone a little happy with many mediocre EK's or have less but more meaningful EK monopolies. I'd choose the later if it were up to me.

On a side note though, I wonder how easy it will be to find a shop once you know what you are looking for. Do you have to go door to door? Or will there be some way point system to go to a specific person's shop? ( maybe we will just stand outside our shop and scream "back skratchah!")

Edited by Blender