Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Neverwinter Strongholds, large-scale PvP

I was just reading about the latest expansion for Neverwinter and, despite having only briefly played the game over a year ago, I'm actually really curious about how it'll be handled. I'm short on details -- does anyone invested in the game have some insights into what to expect and how it might affect Crowfall's development? Is it going to step on toes?

I'm new to the forums and only recently backed the project, but I've been a huge Shadowbane fan since 2004 and I'm super excited by everything I've seen so far. Forgive me if talking about other games here ain't kosher or if this is the wrong forum - I did a search and didn't see any talk about this yet. I've also briefly dabbled in ESO to see how their siege mechanics worked and was largely disappointed. Nothing's quite recreated the Shadowbane experience for me after all this time. Crowfall was my last, best hope til this Neverwinter news hit.

Are any guilds trying this Neverwinter thing out when it launches? Anyone playtesting it already? If so, I'd love to snag an invite to a guild of like-minded Crowfall folks on that otherwise unplayable game. I just skimmed through their test server feedback and it all looks PvE heavy, which is a huge bummer. The marketing has the "Play to Crush" vibe that initially piqued my interest.

Edited by Agravenn
Moved from "General Discussion" to "Other Games"

Play to crush, carebears.

Without a map reset mechanism similar to Crowfall's campaign model, Neverwinter's stronghold map will suffer from the same stagnation issues that every other persistent territory-control MMO has.

Jump to 1:20 of this video for a concise explanation of the "Uncle Bob" problem and how ACE is answering that problem in a way nobody else is.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

After a quick look through the dev blogs, this isn't a territorial control game at all. Each guild has its own domain which you build up by donating resources acquired through PVE. There's no destruction and no risk of losing your nice keep, and you're not even on the same map with any other guilds unless you agree to a GvG duel, in which case your two territories become adjacent to each other.

This is not at all the same niche as Crowfall, but it sounds like it's exactly what some of the posters here are looking for when they ask for the ability to set up advanced PVE content in their eternal kingdoms.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

PvP without consequences is not PvP.

The amusing thing is how angry people get when they "lose" PvP that has no consequences.

"I HAVE TO CLICK RESPAWN AND SHOW UP WITH ALL MY STUFF 90M AWAY! HOW DARE YOU INTERRUPT 30 SECONDS OF MY DAILY YOU TOXIC GRIEFER!"

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

• 2 weeks later...

Without a map reset mechanism similar to Crowfall's campaign model, Neverwinter's stronghold map will suffer from the same stagnation issues that every other persistent territory-control MMO has.

Jump to 1:20 of this video for a concise explanation of the "Uncle Bob" problem and how ACE is answering that problem in a way nobody else is.

Let's not totally fanboy out. The idea wiping of PvP maps is not new, or PvP maps with victory rewards, etc.

Crazy Talk co-co-co-gl

Guardians of Moonforest fangirl

• 4 weeks later...

Me and my boyfriend just started characters on Neverwinter to pass our time before Crowfall gets closer to testing.  If anyone else plays list your name maybe we can get to know each other. :)

Character: Ekoji Rone