Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gear Dependecy

So after doing Albion Online(AO) it got me super concerned about what ACE's stance is on gear. AO got crazy gear dependency going on and to craft higher level tier gear and is seriously gated to larger guilds. I'm hoping ACE has a statement on their philosophy about gear in the vision.

Does most of our coefficient/modifiers come from gear or from skill level? 

Item decay how does it work (Are they like magnets /jk)?

Bank storage, is it tied to a player/guild controlled entity?

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

From what I'v taken about gear so far is that it should be treated like a consumable and not get too attached to it.

I can only assume they won't make it too hard to get the materials for gear or else it would turn into more of a gathering game rather then PvP but who knows for sure till we get show that side of the game.

I do understand what you mean about AO and the reliance of gear to progress your character. 

YannMLq.png

Crowfall is being designed with a shallow power curve, which means that neither gear nor character skills will dramatically change your damage output. This isn't a game where a level 1 character does 1 damage and a level 50 character does damage in the millions. A day 1 character with basic gear will be able to have an impact on a maxed vet- he obviously wouldn't win a 1-on-1, but he wouldn't be something to simply ignore either.

Gear won't be the primary source of damage output but it will add additional modifiers like lifesteal, crit chance, or power cooldown reduction depending on what materials were used to make it. Enchanted gear imbued with thrall souls will be better yet, but unreliable if the thrall decides to rebel.

Items will decay slowly over time with use and very quickly when you die (if they aren't left behind on your body). Looting and decay rules vary per campaign. Crafters will be able to repair damaged gear but the durability cap is permanently reduced each time, so a sword which has been repeatedly used up and repaired will eventually be good for nothing but salvage.

Bank storage is a big unknown at this point, see other active thread on that topic.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Not saying these answers from the FAQ's provide the solutions, but at least they are related to the questions you're asking:

HOW DO YOU PLAN TO PREVENT “I ONLY WANT THE BEST!” SYNDROME?

Part of the reason that other games suffer from this is because items are largely permanent – once you gain a particular weapon, you usually don’t give it up (or lose it) until you find a better weapon. This cycle could take months, or years.

Crowfall’s design means that items will turn-over much more frequently. Decay and item loss will factor heavily into Crowfall’s economy, so gear that isn’t “the best” might be acceptable for a night where the player expects multiple deaths storming the castle.

We also see this as a way for the crafters to gain a reputation as one who only sells a certain quality of item. The crafter who really wants to be known for their crafts might craft the same item multiple times and only sell those which they are proud of – and salvage those which don’t meet the quality mark.

HOW FAST DOES EQUIPMENT DECAY?

Equipment will take small amounts decay from use in combat and large amounts of decay when the player is killed in combat. Crafters will be able to repair equipment which will lower its max durability each time it is repaired.

Edited by Canth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I think I need to say it again:

I think, extra item decay on death is an absolutely stupid mechanic. Especially in the full loot campaigns.

Speed up the decay on use or something, but I'll be frustrated when half the poorly made socks in someone's corpse is magically gone after I killed him.

Well, just as a tangent.

We know too little about items, to do anything but speculate and make assumptions based on other full loot games.

My guess is that items will make a bigger difference than a lot of people here think.

coupla points freeze: 1) equipped gear will mostly not drop at all (except possibly in specific drop-everything campaigns); the sample rules we saw had a 20% chance to drop per equipped item even in the dregs. So the decay on death is really meant to punish the guy for dying- he kept some of his gear but it's badly dented now.

And 2) we don't know that equipped gear which DOES drop will suffer the death penalty; maybe stuff that's left behind doesn't take the hit.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

coupla points freeze: 1) equipped gear will mostly not drop at all (except possibly in specific drop-everything campaigns); the sample rules we saw had a 20% chance to drop per equipped item even in the dregs. So the decay on death is really meant to punish the guy for dying- he kept some of his gear but it's badly dented now.

And 2) we don't know that equipped gear which DOES drop will suffer the death penalty; maybe stuff that's left behind doesn't take the hit.

1. I did read somewhere about full loot campaigns... and it wasn't just people that did repeat it over and over again. So ya, we will see full loot campaigns. It should be a vanilla dregs rule tbh :)

2. well here's hoping. I just think it basically punishes everyone trying to practice. It's easy to avoid killing your opponent in 1v1s, but if you do team practice, people will die left and right. Grinding through gear all the time will be annoying as hell, even with repairs.

ACE has stated they have a vision and I'm assuming their is a vision statement to go with it. I'm hoping they release before Alpha so our feedback can be based of if they are meeting that vision. It really irks me to test a game and I can't evaluate if their game is meeting their design goals if I don't know what said goals are.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

ACE has stated they have a vision and I'm assuming their is a vision statement to go with it. I'm hoping they release before Alpha so our feedback can be based of if they are meeting that vision. It really irks me to test a game and I can't evaluate if their game is meeting their design goals if I don't know what said goals are.

They stated their vision 6 Months ago when they announced the game and opened these forums. Can probably go check the old announcement threads from then and read about it.

If the dregs is full loot (as we're all guessing), decay on death should be replaced with decay per time, assuming that decay per use is already in.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

If the dregs is full loot (as we're all guessing), decay on death should be replaced with decay per time, assuming that decay per use is already in.

Actually, decay on death should be replaced with a chance to break and be removed from game on death.

If the dregs is full loot (as we're all guessing)

We're not all guessing that. We're guessing that there will be some full loot campaigns, but that they won't be the default even in the Dregs.

When we were given the sample rulesets in the initial news dump where the band system was announced, God's Reach was shown with loot rules of 100% inventory loot, and Shadow was shown with 100% inventory loot + 20% chance to drop equipment. Based on those numbers Infected is probably 10% chance to drop and Dregs is probably 30-40% chance to drop, by default. Of course there can be some full loot campaigns and if they're popular there will be more of them, but based on what we've been shown it doesn't look like full loot by default is their starting position.

Tully

From what we know from what the devs have told us they are aiming for a completely "maxed" character with best gear can be taken down by 3 new toons as long as there are comparable skill levels. So no it doesn't look like having the right gear will make you an untouchable god king

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

EDM had asked about gear, which Ace included in the Dev Q&A Video for June:

https://youtu.be/4TZZnyB-ydU?t=7m25s

Jihan did a good job reiterating it.  The response we were given in the dev forum and covered in the video was:

Regarding gear, it will be a pretty shallow power curve, more like UO (or hell, even AD&D) than a traditional PvE MMO like EQ or WOW.

As for this:

As others have pointed out, Ace is doing a great job sharing the design goals as they nail them down and they let us know when they haven't.  You should know everything you need to know about the design goals before you start testing.  Staying on top of their news articles, videos, and Q&A sessions will help keep you aware of what the design goals are.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

2. well here's hoping. I just think it basically punishes everyone trying to practice. It's easy to avoid killing your opponent in 1v1s, but if you do team practice, people will die left and right. Grinding through gear all the time will be annoying as hell, even with repairs.

I really hope that this will be the purpose for my EK. Even if Items decay on deaths or hit I will train without gear or with very very very cheap gear. There are 2 ways I see that ACE could take and would make costs for training sustainable. Low to none damage on hit and no further damage on death *Edit: In the EK and only in the EK so to speak*. Very very cheap gear that fluxates like water and food, which is better because crafter have more to do. It could be that you can disable death in your EK entirely, we'll see. 

As others have pointed out, Ace is doing a great job sharing the design goals as they nail them down and they let us know when they haven't.  You should know everything you need to know about the design goals before you start testing.  Staying on top of their news articles, videos, and Q&A sessions will help keep you aware of what the design goals are.

Let's be honest, the vision is so detailed and the FAQ's so long that is work. Not saying much work but considerable. Maybe again just me, because I am a slow reader ;)

Edited by IamMe

I AM ME!
I love you all.

hmm interesting..I have a feeling we'll be switching gear pretty often if it is lootable..

Maybe,you know,its like when your sister steals away your tank top & you notice afterwards it stretched immensly at the belly part..

Now gear can be imbued with spicy powers of sweaty& stinky business whii

Let's be honest, the vision is so detailed and the FAQ's so long that is work. Not saying much work but considerable. Maybe again just me, because I am a slow reader ;)

Blaming the developer for not revealing design goals before testing and not taking the time and effort to read through the revealed design goals are completely the fault of the player, not the developer. 

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

I like to think of gear as something that compliments your character, not makes it!  I'd enjoy seeing a system where the lot of your stats come from what you choose in creation, and the gear and other items just add to those stats you choose! 

Only the strong survive

giphy.gif