Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Infynis

Practical Keybinds

Rebinding your keys at first launch isn't a big problem for any seasoned MMO player, but I have met quite a few first or second time players that had no idea that putting a skill on '9' is not a good idea in a fast paced combat game. Rather than starting with the usual

'1-0' keybinds, and potential disadvantaging people that already don't know what they're doing, give them practical keybinds.

'1 2 3 4 Q E R Z X C' makes gameplay a lot easier, and still is the same number of options as '1-0.' Why don't we make that the default? That way players that don't know to rebind don't have to.

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

I have wondered the same thing.  At least come up with multiple templates to start from.  Traditional Keybind, Practical Keybind, Got-a-razor-naga-f-u keybind,  etc.

Just imagine a smiley after everything I say.  Works out best for us all.

players that don't know how to rebind keys should effin learn how to do it

So you are suggesting ACE make a tutorial video on keybinding? 

Just imagine a smiley after everything I say.  Works out best for us all.

So you are suggesting ACE make a tutorial video on keybinding? 

A 1 liner should be enough :)

If they absolutely have to, then include it in the basic tutorial.

I mean if they make a tutorial on how to use WASD, then it can't hurt to add the extra 10 words to explain where to change keybinds.

But implementing extra templates, hell no.

I said the same thing when they discussed the key binding for knight, given the use of WASD for movement, the actions should be placed primarily around the index finger for freedom of simultaneous use. Keys around the other 3 fingers should be utilized afterward as secondary choices. Nothing operated in combat should force the player to explore away from the home row, it's bad control design.

And it can be confusing when the factory settings start training you to use ineffective key binds before you reconsider their placement. I rebound my skills in Smite to VFR4, only to find them reset to factory settings every other time they updated beta. It's tiresome to check if the factory settings have been forced on you every match because your afraid that you'll be standing around like an idiot in the middle of a match stalling because your keys are poorly placed by the system.

The factory setting should be intuitive.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Seems like they're already doing something like this considering the iFrame ability is on the C key by default. I would assume they have the retaliate key on its own separate keybind. Who knows what they'll do with the others.

It's easy enough to rebind your keys though, if they do decide to go with 1234567890-= as the default hotbar keys. Another thing to separate the bads from the goods. If you click your abilities you deserve to get stomped by a player who has all of his abilities within easy reach.

Edited by Jon

Putting the primary keys in secondary locations and the secondary keys in the primary position is poorly designed.

Retaliation is a replacement skill, it overlaps another key bind, so far we see 1-5 for primary skills E for combo alteration and C for iframe, which should be infrequent. I'm guessing space will be jump, but I really feel like every class should have block on right click and dash/evade on an accessible key like space or B.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

ESDF master race. Then you have QWAZ as pinky powers without having to take your first three fingers off movement.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

As long as the hotbar lists what the new key is assigned to! I would hate for it to still display 6 when it is E.

Thank you for having a suggestion that fits within the scope of the game as well. So much fail around that here...

Edited by Adall

players that don't know how to rebind keys should effin learn how to do it

Exactly.   If kidz that game do it, I would hope the supposed "Adults" here would be able to figure it out, easily.

I mean if they make a tutorial on how to use WASD

WUT?  A tutorial on how to use WASD?   For the love of the All Father, anyone that does not know how to use WASD and needs a tutorial, needs to take the next 18 months and play some "normal" mmo's and learn ffs.  WASD is pretty standard fare.  Minecraft uses it and kidz are playing that at what age 8?

And Todd wonders why we get all nervous and jerky about the game being "dumbed down"   :(

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Exactly.   If kidz that game do it, I would hope the supposed "Adults" here would be able to figure it out, easily.

WUT?  A tutorial on how to use WASD?   For the love of the All Father, anyone that does not know how to use WASD and needs a tutorial, needs to take the next 18 months and play some "normal" mmo's and learn ffs.  WASD is pretty standard fare.  Minecraft uses it and kidz are playing that at what age 8?

And Todd wonders why we get all nervous and jerky about the game being "dumbed down"   :(

Yep... between people that don't know how to keybind, or people that don't know how to steer a character in a 3d environment, or people that don't know how to manually aim... it's pretty scary when player skill is supposed to matter, and you see very young children doing such things effortlessly. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Yep... between people that don't know how to keybind, or people that don't know how to steer a character in a 3d environment, or people that don't know how to manually aim... it's pretty scary when player skill is supposed to matter, and you see very young children doing such things effortlessly.

I think young kids now have grown up so much around technology and video games compared to when we were younger that they're much better at it. It just clicks more for them.

That's a little overboard, I really haven't seen anything that would suggest they're dumbing it down. Looks comparable with other games and I like the direction they're going. It looks like it will be a fun pvp game that takes a decent amount of skill.

I think young kids now have grown up so much around technology and video games compared to when we were younger that they're much better at it. It just clicks more for them.

he's quite the expert with young children

he's quite the expert with young children

^^^  that :(   Just so you know, I didn't need the reminder.   

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

ESDF master race. Then you have QWAZ as pinky powers without having to take your first three fingers off movement.

We should have a duel to see which is superior, the pinky or the index. I DEFY THEE!

I thought I was the only one! Our binds are superior and we're proud of it.

We should have a duel to see which is superior, the pinky or the index. I DEFY THEE!

But, you see, we haven't lost the index. We have both.

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

I used to play on someone's account in a game and they bound their movement to TFGH, which is just awful to adjust to. ESDF is nice, but if the number of hotkeys isn't too large WASD works fine.

gCWxS8u.jpg