Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GeistBaoh

How Dark will it get in Crowfall?

Not to be rude, but this thread was just started before yours http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/4973-daynight-cycles/#entry206211  Same subject?

EDIT:  Actually not just created but commented on right before yours was created.  Perhaps the mods can merge, since one already exists.

Edited by ellie

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Not to be rude, but this thread was just started before yours http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/4973-daynight-cycles/#entry206211  Same subject?

EDIT:  Actually not just created but commented on right before yours was created.  Perhaps the mods can merge, since one already exists.

Not really the same topic... the other one asks about day/night cycle and this one is about how dark it will be at night. Nothing wrong with making a thread about a comment from a different thread... especially if it deserves a separate discussion. 

I hope it's dark, but not pitch black. I don't want to be forced to turn my "gamma" up like in some other games... 

Edited by zero2none

I did quite enjoy how the Stalker games handled night. Wandering around at night was truly dangerous unless you were a master stalker. You can barely see a thing and monsters tend to be a bit more ballsy at night.

MISERY_chimera.jpg

I also enjoyed the Skyrim mods that make the nights darker.

26318-1-1351777828.jpg

I'd be all for dark nights in Crowfall.

Edited by Jon

I'm kinda not a fan too much darkness.

It will cause people to use cheats to give them vision or become a gamma warrior and now you are walking around in the dark of night while a bunch of gamma warriors are right behind you.

I think it was proven in DayZ that 99% of people playing the game avoided night servers so that something they might want to think about when choosing how dark is the night :).

YannMLq.png

I am in full support of Total Darkness!  

The vibe you would get stepping out into the wilderness at night and not being able to see a thing, but the outline of the trees and landscape against the night sky.  

"Whats that in the field? Is it a rock or something else?"

"Did something move in that tree line...?"  

"I swear I saw something dash across the horizon.- Ugh!"

BAM! DEAD!

So maybe you bring a light source?  Now you can see what lurks, but what lurks can see you much better... Light source would be help and hurt players.  Giving your position away to the enemy or something more terrifying.   The night is not your friend and doesn't welcome light within its domain.

Some ideas about lighting in total darkness!

• Player customization and Clan/team customization with custom colored light sources for more advanced lighting equipment/buffs
  • Different Tiers of lighting - IE a Bunch of sticks is no match for a Lantern and a Lantern is no Match for Battlefield Flares to light up the fight.
  • Buffs/Potions could also be a source of lighting, but much more limited and not as practical in some applications.
  • Several different types of lighting should/could be introduced.  Ranging from Circular lighting, Directional Lighting to Flood Lighting.  
    • Circular Lighting could be used for buffs or other objects that light a whole area - these would give a better 360 field of vision, but lack punching power into the darkness.  
    • Directional Lighting would provide that punching power into darkness, but seriously lack at providing another better then a 45 degree or less field of view.  
    • Flood lighting would light up the night sky and a great area on the ground.  This could be used in a Flare situation where a Guild needs to light up the night sky, however the flare would dissipate over time and the lighting would grow dim in its final moments before going out.
  • Seasonal lighting, Maybe a Moon based event where at certain times of the season you can see a great deal at night.   This would also be a night where creatures/monsters could be very active.
  • Specialized lighting, Maybe it provides a very faint almost non existent light.. but players/monsters/resources (Depending on the specialized light) reflect/shine momentarily when they are within a certain distance.  There could be buffs/potions to limit/prevent or block this lighting.

I'm sure there are tons more of uses... but I am in total support of Total Darkness! PVP!

KjUVOZg.png

Cantaloupes - Member / "It's a strange thing to see, that moment when the extraordinary becomes ordinary."

I'm sure there are tons more of uses... but I am in total support of Total Darkness! PVP!

You can support it, but its a bad idea. Because people with good graphics cards or monitors would just ignore the need for light sources giving them a major and unfair advantage against people actually playing the game, because the gamma boosters wont need to give away thieir position by using light. And if its graphics or monitor based gamma boost then there is no possible way ACE can control the gamma levels of all their players

You can support it, but its a bad idea. Because people with good graphics cards or monitors would just ignore the need for light sources giving them a major and unfair advantage against people actually playing the game, because the gamma boosters wont need to give away thieir position by using light. And if its graphics or monitor based gamma boost then there is no possible way ACE can control the gamma levels of all their players

I see your point and I agree people would cheat/take advantage of the Gamma settings.   It would provide a very neat dynamic to the game.  Maybe they can come up with an innovate way to do it? Maybe a wash over the screen so cranking up Gamma only turned the wash from Black to White.  Lighting would provide a way to pierce that wash to some degree.

KjUVOZg.png

Cantaloupes - Member / "It's a strange thing to see, that moment when the extraordinary becomes ordinary."

Dark Age of Camelot did a great job with Day and Night.  If it is dark enough that we have to use a light source. Please don't have it run out of fuel or burn out.  

I think darkness might be good, but not totally pitch black. Have darkness pile up the further away from you so you might see things within your immediate vicinity, but you it is harder to see players coming towards you and maybe almost impossible to see an army moving in the dark from your keep.

With this, both lighting and night-vision will become valuable for night-roamers.

I definitely feel night darkness should be a thing in one form or another. It makes sense if the devs want to create a war game that can make use of the teachings from the Art of War for the day/night cycle to add this advantage/disadvantage to the game.

hmm...

I feel like dark...darkness is really good for Single player games for immersion and challenge

but in a MMO, especially one that focuses on PvP, total darkness only hinders those who don't know / graphically can't get around it. Similar to the stealth idea where the idea was players could turn down their graphics to see "cloaked" opponents easier, I think there would be many graphic settings that would brighten the night, giving some players a massive advantage to others.

Fog-of-War could work however...but that would be a different mechanic

Overall, I would vote against it, and have semi-dark (the blue tint kind) for all players

MMOs I've Played:

WoW (up to LichKing) - GW2 - FFXIV (Beta) - ESO (Beta)  - Wildstar - 

There are a lot of ways to manufacture handicaps for poor vision. Gamma manipulators can alter their settings all day long, but if there are built in disabilities associated with darkness, than their still gonna need a light source.

This works inversely to the buffs and advantages you'd expect from nocturnal races and disciplines. Let's say a vampire has increased power, mobility and vision at night, an unprepared character may have movement disabilities that slow them or cause them to trip over innocuous terrain obstructions when sprinting. Damage could go up for nocturnal creatures and down for non-nocturnal characters in accordance with their decreased capacity in the dark.

Projectile properties could be enhanced or hindered, resource expenditure and recovery can be altered. Independently, small alterations to capabilities may not have a huge impact, but collectively, a dozen small debuffs assigned to night blindness will create a natural variation between those disabled at night and those empowered.

As for actual visibility at night, the system can focus more on reducing visual distance rather than lighting to simulate darkness, and forms of invisibility based stealth can reduce their area of detection to get closer to other players without being seen based on lighting circumstances.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Is this game competitive? Yes.

If it's dark and if the game doesn't mess up with high gamma, I will put my gamma all the way up so that I won't lose to other people that do the same.

I don't think a 3rd person game with a sandbox style is the right kind of game for pitch black screens. Just darker than daylight, maybe a little bit harder to see things, but that's it. Or I'll just have to get used to gamma all the way up again (I haven't played Rust in a while so I kind of forgot how bad it feels).

“War is mass murder, conscription is slavery and taxation is robbery.” ― Murray N. Rothbard
alGxc9C.png
✣Junte-se a nós✣

One of my strongest MMO memories is actually from Star Wars Galaxies when me and a friend wondered around in the middle of the night, found a guy sitting in a fire camp ... relaxing. We joined him, started to chat and I guess except from that nothing else really happened.. but that was the first time I understood the power of an open MMO where I felt I could do all the things that I wished for as a kid playing single player games on my C64 and Amiga.

With that I hope we will have beautiful sunsets and really dark nights that will force us to put up camps. :) 

One of my strongest MMO memories is actually from Star Wars Galaxies when me and a friend wondered around in the middle of the night, found a guy sitting in a fire camp ... relaxing. We joined him, started to chat and I guess except from that nothing else really happened.. but that was the first time I understood the power of an open MMO where I felt I could do all the things that I wished for as a kid playing single player games on my C64 and Amiga.

With that I hope we will have beautiful sunsets and really dark nights that will force us to put up camps. :)

I had this same experience around 1998 playing Ultima Online.  It was when I first started and I learned about taming.  I was just outside the city limits herding and taming kittens trying to get my taming skill up when a player with a red name pops up out of nowhere and starts hitting me.  I thought it was a strong NPC and started to run.  I ran right into the middle of a campfire where there were other red players standing around it.  They started hooting and hollering and gave chase after me.  By this time I figured out they were players and not NPC's.  I have no idea how I got away but somehow made it back to the city limits and safety.  Looking back on it I think most of them let me get away out of pity.  But it was my first introduction to PvP and ever since the early days of Ultima Online (before Felucca) I've been searching for that great PvP game.  It came close in Shadowbane and EVE but its still yet to be made. 

Here's to hoping for the best for Crowfall and campfires.  :)

FpOqn82.jpg

YESSSSS! I have similar memories lol.

One of the things that made SWG great for social events and roleplay in my opinion were the chat bubble conversations as well as the large amount of animated emotes. /slitthroat / wookieehug / clap.

On topic: I wish for true darkness in Crowfall also. Sure you can change your hue settings but there's ways around that as a developer.

Edited by whiplash174

YESSSSS! I have similar memories lol.

One of the things that made SWG great for social events and roleplay in my opinion were the chat bubble conversations as well as the large amount of animated emotes. /slitthroat / wookieehug / clap.

On topic: I wish for true darkness in Crowfall also. Sure you can change your hue settings but there's ways around that as a developer.

Exactly! And hopefully Crowfall will include chat bubbles and not do the same mistake as SWTOR and ESO did. Sure those games lacked many things, but as dumb as it sounds the non existing chat bubbles was the thing that I missed the most. Why do they insist on believing that this function isn't needed? I love PVP and all of that, but the social part is number one for me. :)

I could talk about SWG (and even WoW back in vanilla) for hours, but I get so damn nostalgic that I almost get depressive ha ha. Hopefully Crowfall can be my next "big crush" when it comes to gaming, that has not happened since forever now.