Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jetah

Make Arrows An Item

I've seen Guns, Bows and Trebuchets. Infinite Ammo or Finite ammo, which would you choose for CF if you were designing it?  

Infinite Ammo could be done similar to Wildstar with some pocket of space having the ammo and you just reach in to grab more.

Finite Ammo could be great for crafters and would be a great to know how much ammo to grab (and possibility lose).

I hate polls so just type it in, fill in the blank like!

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Meh, meh, meh... Good question. Realistically, having finite ammo will give a bump to skills like fletching and crafting. The downside is it will give a rather large advantage to melee classes, especially in the beginning of campaigns and force everyone to focus some of their skills on melee. This could be incredibly crappy in regards to classes like the duelist, stalker, or other bow type classes. To be fair, at this point, magic users should also have some form of ammunition to keep the playing field equal. If one should be forced to focus on melee, all should. Let's face facts, getting shot with a bullet or arrow - if not outright fatal - is enough to take someone off the battle field. This isn't a simulator, so arrows and bullets don't have that effect. The result is arrows and bullets will always be at a disadvantage unless there is infinite ammo.

I'd like to see a combination personally, use of a ammo slot to be filled with ammunition, but keep the ammunition infinite. This is a fantasy world after all, having to bring 600 arrows out to a combat situation, only to lose all of them on your first death would be a wonderful example of how to keep people uninvolved in pvp and more prone to running away and griefing.

This is all rambling a thought together, but I don't recall having ammunition in SB or DAOC and it worked out just fine. 

TL;DR

I support infinite ammo with reloads.

If there are spellcaster regeants, oils that melee have to apply to their swords to make sure they stay sharp, and pads that stealth characters have to apply to their feet then sure, make the ammo finite.

Basically what I'm trying to say is finite ammo sucks and it sucks hard.

I am perfectly alright with ammunition so long as they can be crafted, easily obtained, all one large stack, and they weigh little. Adds a level of preparation that I feel should be in the game, but not a taxing one or limiting one. I am even fine with reagents for spells to throw back to Ultima Online!

How about:

Melee - requires to maintain your weapon by sharpening it.

Spells - Generally this could be mana 

Ranged - finite ammo but easily craftable for the first few tiers of ammunition.

etDenA9.png

If we are going to go for finite ammo, why also not introduce urination and defecation? This way if you don't properly manage your timers, when you run out of ammo and have to run away from the combat, you will appropriately s**t your pants.

Bwahahhahahaa!!!!

If we are going to go for finite ammo, why also not introduce urination and defecation? This way if you don't properly manage your timers, when you run out of ammo and have to run away from the combat, you will appropriately s**t your pants.

Dev's already said "no".

etDenA9.png

Finite. Everything revolves around resources, and that should include ammo. Obviously casters should have some other way to attack also, like melee attacks, but giving infinite ammo removes and entire aspect of the economy.

Resource maintenance for the sake of resource maintenance and because it "could" be an aspect of the economy ignores the fact that games remove this stuff because it detracts from the game.

I've played archers/ranged shooters in games that require you to track your resources, it never adds any depth to the game, it's just one more thing you need to deal with on a daily basis and gets boring as hell.

If anything is added as far as ammunition goes it should be special ammunition that adds bonuses to your damage, otherwise you're really just having ammunition for the sake of having it.

I don't care if it puts the fletchers out of work, make it infinite and focus game development where it has more of an impact.

Even rust removed the need for "paper" to do research and Rust is a survival simulator.

But I fully believe we should add the need to use the bathroom. It really will be a throne simulator then.

I mean who'd want to loot anything...

no regs, no arrows, no bandages, nothing...

I vote for an empty inventory when I go PvPing...

I don't want to lose anything when I go out to kill some scrubs in the God's Reach

and if I don't need to use my ressources to craft arrows and that nonsense, I can export way more stuff to the EK and can build a huuuuge castle and stuff...

ya get the drift

Edited by freeze

ya get the drift

Name one game where ammunition being a finite resource actually added to the game in any meaningful way.

Every game I've played with ammunition either removed it or trivialized it to the point where it was a non-issue.

Make the ammo too expensive and no one will want to be ranged, make it too cheap and you trivialize it.

Because I just get so giddy when I get to loot arrows off a corpse.

If the world is as big as they're hinting, I feel pity for the Archers who run out while far from a Keep.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

Looting ammo and bandages is trash loot. This isn't Day Z. Health most likely regenerates. All this does is add maintenance to the game. I for one, don't want to loot a bunch of ammunition and bandages. I want armor, resources and other goodies that were looted from others. Things of actual value. Arrows mean nothing to someone killed by a wizard.

It's like requiring food and drink. It's just filler maintenance.

It really depends if the classes that use weapons that should require some sort of ammo are too good to be true or not. If they are, then I'm in favor of ammo.

If they rely a lot on mana, then it's no big deal.

“War is mass murder, conscription is slavery and taxation is robbery.” ― Murray N. Rothbard
alGxc9C.png
✣Junte-se a nós✣

UO and Darkfall

both games also featured loot...Crowfall will too.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

But I agree it can result into a pita mechanic that's just annoying.

But at the same time it functions as a money sink and that's never a bad idea.