Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jetah

Make Arrows An Item

Beside other fecal businesses, i'm totally pro finite

If there is infinite ammo, archers will be like wizards, but with spells with an arrow shape.

If you put finite arrows, they will get a value. It will matter for archer, for the crafters who get them, for the farmer that are in charge of materials. The strategy in big scale pvp will include arrows, besides siege weapons.

You can even set that the arrows deals lots more of damage. Like, realistic damage when one gets throught your head. If there is a dodging system, and another system so that a bow's acuracy depends on the player's skills and the character skill points, bow will only get overpowered in the more skilled player's hands. And if the physics works well, you can block these arrows with a shield, or a good armor.

An if arrows are of good quality they will do more damage and pierce the armors easily, depending on their composition.

Overpowered, but easily counterable, and hard to get.

And what if you get out of arrows? well, if they don't make imposible for a person with hands and arms to take a bow and a sword - not at the same time..-, or whatever, anybody could use a bow, and have a sword in case of, like everyone did in real life.

The infinite system is only because nobody wanted to think about a great system who works properly. Don't be lazy, make things well

PS: nobody here played pen & paper rpgs? you guys need to see more world than Wow and runescape. Oh wait, no, arrows in runescape were actually finite
Edited by Homun

Make the ammo too expensive and no one will want to be ranged, make it too cheap and you trivialize it.

Damn, i guess we are out of solutions then :(

UO and Darkfall

both games also featured loot...Crowfall will too.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

But I agree it can result into a pita mechanic that's just annoying.

But at the same time it functions as a money sink and that's never a bad idea.

Except in this game the devs already concluded that there isn't a set monetary standard. Additionally, it's not a solid mechanic in that every archer or duelist will just become a crafter that is solely good enough to craft their ammo. Kind of like in EQ, every ranger carried a fletching kit. You rolled ranger, grats, you rolled fletching lol. I mean, to create an arrow I suppose it's not hard. Axe for wood, stone for the head, feather/game for the feathers. 

However, if ammunition is a factor, mages should also have to maintain and create their spells on a regular basis. Melee should be require to maintain their swords on a regular basis as well. If we are going to do this in the sake of a money sink, all classes must be held to the same standard. Not just archers and duelists.

Except in this game the devs already concluded that there isn't a set monetary standard. Additionally, it's not a solid mechanic in that every archer or duelist will just become a crafter that is solely good enough to craft their ammo. Kind of like in EQ, every ranger carried a fletching kit. You rolled ranger, grats, you rolled fletching lol. I mean, to create an arrow I suppose it's not hard. Axe for wood, stone for the head, feather/game for the feathers. 

However, if ammunition is a factor, mages should also have to maintain and create their spells on a regular basis. Melee should be require to maintain their swords on a regular basis as well. If we are going to do this in the sake of a money sink, all classes must be held to the same standard. Not just archers and duelists.

It really doesn't matter whether it's a money-sink or a ressource-sink. It serves the absolute same purpose. Don't argue semantics here.

Concerning the crafting: If it was up to me, a character that wants to craft should have to sacrifice something, aka skillpoints out of his skill-pool.

Slapping one or two crafting professions on every character like WoW or AA for example does, is absolute nonsense in my eyes.

This game prides itself with its crafting system. So why not actually make those crafters useful.

What's the point if every character is completely self-sufficient. It just waters down the whole experience.

I usually main a ranged class and it's honestly just a pain to have ammo. It adds very little to the game and just causes fustration. Also, Melee classes wouldn't be encumbered with backpacks full of ammo, so why should we have to suffer?

I usually main a ranged class and it's honestly just a pain to have ammo. It adds very little to the game and just causes fustration. Also, Melee classes wouldn't be encumbered with backpacks full of ammo, so why should we have to suffer?

why do I need a staff as a mage, why can't I just fart lightning bolts?!

Why do we want all classes to be the same @__@ ammo for some classes just makes them more interesting.

No it doesn't. It just creates a monotonous burden for Archers.

Being different for the sake of being different isn't a good thing.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

Infinite [plain] ammo, with the ability to have finite specialized crafted ammo [Poison arrows] for individual weapons.

Finite ammo for crew-served and siege weapons.

Edited by primal

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Why do we want all classes to be the same @__@ ammo for some classes just makes them more interesting.

Having balance and fairness, isn't the same as having classes all the same.

Bows will already wear out and break like all other weaponry in the game, why would you make me also buy more arrows that could do the same? Why would anyone use non-magic ranged attacks in that case? Why drop 30 skill points into archery to lug 4 bags of arrows around when you could just drop 30 points into magic and shoot lightning. For siege weapons or firearms? I can see some reasoning behind them as I would hope they would be a bit more powerful than bows and crossbows, thus one might use them more sparingly. I mean if you think it just creates "realism" or makes the game more "hardcore" then why stop at arrows?

You wouldn't want to carry your bows around strung as that decreases their draw strength by stretching the wood and cord, so obviously before you can fire you will need to spend about 10 seconds stringing up your bow. You'll want a pot of oil to coat your metal in after you're done with it for the day, otherwise it will rust. A cleaning kit for any firearms. A toothbrush and soap or you'll take a hit to charisma! A leather kit and some spare chain rings to mend any broken armor, and 10ft pole just in case.

Make the ammo too expensive and no one will want to be ranged, make it too cheap and you trivialize it.

Like he said,
If you make arrows expensive in time resources or skill to craft, you punish archers for no reason.
If you make arrows cheap and easy to mass produce, why bother in the first place?
If you make them heavy and stack only in small ammounts, then once again archers are punished and anyone else with a ranged attack is far superior.
If you make them lightweight and stack up to 1000, what's the point?

Changed my mind I concur with the finite ammo idea.

Edited by Vstubbs

I think there is a solution that helps both sides and it's already been brought up. Infinite normal arrows, and then special arrows that will do more damage or have added ability's like fire.. That way a ranger will never run out of ammo but then also has a choice. He can use some inventory space and get better arrows by either buying them or making them. Both will take resources. I think this is the best way to handle it.

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

If you make arrows expensive in time resources or skill to craft, you punish archers for no reason.

If you make arrows cheap and easy to mass produce, why bother in the first place?

If you make them heavy and stack only in small ammounts, then once again archers are punished and anyone else with a ranged attack is far superior.

If you make them lightweight and stack up to 1000, what's the point?

Damn, so extremes aren't good. Bad luck we have no other option than extremes :(

I remember being a Warlock in WoW and it was a burden to get Soulshards but it was something the class had to do.  They didn't stack and 1 shard took 1 inventory spot.   But I liked being different from other classes because of it. Hunters also required ammo and had to tend to their pet.

I only posted this topic to see the different views of people toward it.  What was good about WoW hunters needing ammo was hearing "out of ammo". Which was great if you were fighting one and you realized they were out. It was also funny to hear in raids.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

I personally think it should be as mentioned before. You have an ammunition slot for arrows, this will allow different types to be crafted, but have an infinite amount you can use of that particular tier. To make it even, as mentioned in other posts, all items could be slowly degradable, making every class on the same playing field.

Thoughts?

Want to join a Guild? Check us out at: http://thetradecompany.shivtr.com/

large.png?1427076055

Make it finite.  And while you're at it add material components to spells and upkeep for melee weapons.

Keeps demand for crafters up, adds a logistical component to winning wars(more leadership and organization required then mindless zerging), and forces players to vary their play(even bandits need to take a break from KoS PvP to gather/repair) all in one go.

Also opens up the option of rare valuable ammo too costly for regular use, jealously hoarded for special occasions and emergencies.