Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Make Arrows An Item

It's like carrying capacity for inventory. Some people like resource management. It adds a new layer of challenge and realism to the game, at the cost of comfort. And honestly, I think MMOs nowadays are way too comfortable.

Let's just make it a real life simulation. Your character needs to eat for 30 minutes every 4 hours. Your character needs to take a dump every 8 hours for 10 minutes. We have to remove all magic aswell, since that's not realistic. Let's also have permadeth, since real life has permadeath.

Sometimes gameplay and fun should trump realism and "challenge".

7ug90hM.png

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finite. Everything revolves around resources, and that should include ammo. Obviously casters should have some other way to attack also, like melee attacks, but giving infinite ammo removes and entire

There's many pros and cons to both Infinite and Finite ammo systems.    We have an idea on which path we are going go down, but this is a topic we've been discussing since the early days of Crowfall

It's amusing how "hardcore" PVPers get squishy when it's suggested that ammo is finite. Everything in Crowfall is resource limited. Your sword is going to dull and break. Your armor is going to rend a

Finite vs infinite. My thoughts on this, we need look at it from the player's perspective. Imo, for finte ammo, it adds another factor towards the balance for all players. For players with limited time imposing finite ammo will literally force them to play me lee class or spend most of their valuable playing time farming for the resources or craftsmen to sell them arrows. For players with lots of time to play this is a non-issue but still imposes a time sink for range players vs melee class players.

I also do not see any advantages or balance for Crowfall to implement finite ammo.

Infinite ammo allows the dev to balance PvP for range vs melee better as the ammo factor is taken out of the equation.

Therefore, infinite ammo is the way to go, and devs can focus on other more impt aspects of the game and make the game fun to play.

Let's just make it a real life simulation. Your character needs to eat for 30 minutes every 4 hours. Your character needs to take a dump every 8 hours for 10 minutes. We have to remove all magic aswell, since that's not realistic. Let's also have permadeth, since real life has permadeath.

These are way too radical compared to adding finite ammo, and doesn't add anything really to the gameplay of a PvP fantasyMMO. On the otherhand, they would work fine for Sims.

Exactly there is a fine line between realism and fun to play. Placing to much emphasis on realism will make the game a chore to play. I hope the devs are smart enough to realize that they have to make the game fun and engaging to play, not try to model everything base on realism otherwise, I rather deal with my real life than play Crowfall.

These are way too radical compared to adding finite ammo, and doesn't add anything really to the gameplay of a PvP fantasyMMO. On the otherhand, they would work fine for Sims.

Having to craft/acquire/carry arrows doesn't add anything to the gameplay either. It's a boring and tedious task that the majority of people would rather be without.

7ug90hM.png

Well according to your logic, let's all just run around with permanent sets of armor, weapons, and never have any need to collect any resources, heck, let's not even bother fighting, it might be to realistic.

Or wait, maybe if you're losing it suddenly isn't fun, or in line with your ideas and ideals of what defines 'gameplay'.

Exaggerating examples and witless quips do not help nor make arguments.

Having to craft/acquire/carry arrows doesn't add anything to the gameplay either. It's a boring and tedious task that the majority of people would rather be without.

Maybe not for you, but it as I mentioned above, some of us like resource management and combat can get quite exciting if you know you're about to run out of arrows and you have to change the way how you deal with your enemy.

I'm on the fence with this one, it's not a totally bad thing because it adds a bit of resource gathering to a class but I feel life might just be easier/fun on another class. Less time gathering sticks and stones and more time slaying noobs.

Actually forget that just go with infinite. Thank about the forgemaster, he throws his hammer correct. Well I'm going to assume the dev's aren't gonna make him go pick up his thrown melee weapon so i'f he is getting automatic weapon back/ammo then so should the range classes.

Edited by Cheewy

YannMLq.png

Archer Archetypes shouldn't be limited to bow use anyway, so no matter how hard it is to supply ammo, if they can battle with a melee weapon than it's just a matter of how much they can rely on their bow before switching to a melee weapon. Bows shouldn't work vs melee anyway, free critical hits all day.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Just make it so you craft the arrow and equip it like everything else.  It has a durability like everything else and can be used up and destroyed like everything else.  The only difference is you only have to craft one instead of hundreds or thousands.  You still can lose them when you die, you still need to equip something in the ammo slot if you want to shoot your bow.  You still need to replace that ammo slot item when you lose all your gear.  It gives your something else you can upgrade as you get better at landing shots and so on. 

Elite Fletchers can still exist and be sought after for their crazy good bows and arrows.  It just wont be a giant PITA to make arrows after every fight.  It will still give the advantage to the defenders of keeps who have stockpiles.  The attackers would need to bring carts of ammo (which could be stolen).  You can still make or buy those crazy good long range, fast flight, and high chance to bleed arrows and keep them around for a special occasion.  It might make you take a little bit better aim before you fire off those expensive arrows and add a little self imposed pressure to hit with them.   

Sorry if this have been brought up.

Not totally invested in the discussion.

Instead of having finite ammunition, could it work to have an ammo slot?

You could put special arrows, bolts or whatever in this AND there would be a chance of breaking or loosing it (just like other slots) upon death.

Would simulate having ammunition somewhat.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I've seen Guns, Bows and Trebuchets. Infinite Ammo or Finite ammo, which would you choose for CF if you were designing it?  

Infinite Ammo could be done similar to Wildstar with some pocket of space having the ammo and you just reach in to grab more.

Finite Ammo could be great for crafters and would be a great to know how much ammo to grab (and possibility lose).

I hate polls so just type it in, fill in the blank like!

Defiantly finite, I don't see it being infinite with all the emphasis on crafting.

I think ammo should be infinite, as it is more annoying than anything. I do however think it would be interesting to introduce consumables into the game that would be crafted. Like sharpening stones and oils for weapons that could apply new damage types, and/or more damage. Different arrow types that you could equip to make your arrows do different things. There could be similar reagents or potions to effect magical abilities.

Overall, I think the idea of consumables and finite quantities are good for the crafting economy. However, I don't think a class should hinge on this fact, and be useless if they run out, or could not acquire the ammunition they need.

I would prefer infinite with some craft-able consumables for all archetypes.

EDIT: Spelling :P

Edited by MattVid

Vidrak - Member of

mael4.jpg

I think ammo should be infinite, as it is more annoying than anything. I do however think it would be interesting to introduce consumables into the game that would be crafted. Like sharpening stones and oils for weapons that could apply new damage types, and/or more damage. Different arrow tips that you could equip to make your arrows do different things. There could be similar reagents or potions to effect magical abilities.

Overall, I think the idea of consumables and finite quantities are good for the crafting economy. However, I don't think a class should hinge on this fact, and be useless if they run out, or could not acquire the ammunition they need. I would prefer infinite with some bonus consumables.

Why so many people run from wide game experience? Remove all the features that make this game different and not casual.

Lets make all weapons with the same dps/range just with different model, no cooldowns no run speed difference, fake non target, no full loot, more safe zones and... voillla... Tera or by removing fake non-target we have "any other game" released since 2005 with few exceptions.

So, how about infinite common arrows and finite special arrows?

After killing a guy on a full loot server this guy will take a bow and he is PvP ready with infinite amount of shots? Sieges are going to be fun with this mechanics. You will love fighting vs such a guys