Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
karetyr

Yoga

Anyone do yoga? I'm looking to get into it, but I have no idea where to start.

I think I'd feel awkward just walking into a studio and wanting to jump into a class. I am about as flexible as a rock.

Formerly Scin Karetyr, a native of Chilastra in Star Wars Galaxies

Anyone do yoga? I'm looking to get into it, but I have no idea where to start.

I think I'd feel awkward just walking into a studio and wanting to jump into a class. I am about as flexible as a rock.

I've practiced yoga for several years, and I've seen lots of new people come into a class and enjoy the session. Most yoga practitioners (if you're in a good class) will go out of their way to help new people settle in and find good form in the various poses. A good instructor will ask at the start of class if there are any new people in the goup, and then will add lower level iterations of the postures for beginners along with a couple of more advanced options. If your gym has classes, start there; most gym-sponsored yoga classes cater to new and intermediate students, so you will get a nice general introduction. Maybe check out the yoga studios after you're a bit more flexible.

• What to wear: Soft gym pants or shorts (please wear underwear!) and a tee shirt. I wear flipflops to class, since yoga is performed in bare feet. 
  • Take to class: A towel, a water bottle, a pair of socks, and anything you might need to be comfortable during floor work, even a small pillow if you have neck problems. 
  • Duration: About an hour per session.
  • Class structure: Warm up for 10 minutes, slowly moving from asanas to vinyasas, intense vinyasas, cool down/meditation/chilling out for 5-10 min (this part is what the socks are for, you may get cold during corpse pose)
  • What to expect: Dim lights, serene music, quietness, lots of wobbling. The wobble is where the work is :D :D :D You WILL fall over, and You WILL fail at achieving asanas in the early months. 

Your gym/studio will provide mats, stretching belts, blocks, blankets, and other items specific to yoga practice. However, I recommend you buy your own mat(s) for basic hygiene. Other people's foot  and booty sweat ain't something you want to put your face into when you're doing floor work.

I use double mats for floor work, because it's hard on the knees and hands, especially moving through vinyasas (combination movements) and asanas (individual postures) that require kneeling. Plank and downward dog are particularly tough for new practitioners' hands and wrists. 

The biggest advice I can give you is to never push yourself to pain. Yoga is about focus, stamina, and strength, not pain. The pain will come when you wake up the next morning. There will be plenty of it, and often, while you're learning to stretch your body and adjust to the practice. Part of yoga practice is learning and accepting your body's limits. That and breathing. Eh, might want to stay on two feet while you learn to breathe. Tree pose and hyperventilation don't go well together, unless you intend to fall into plank, but that'd be a tough vinyasa to pull off. 

Yoga is hard work, and it's GOOD work. 

I'll be happy to talk more about yoga, if you like. Just lemme know. 

Iri~

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Have any pictures?

For educational purposes....

Haha, erm, no. But I'm sure you could find a local class full of yoga booty to inspire your own practice  :P

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

My wife is an instructor and she agrees with just about everything Iridian just said. Some studios/gyms don't take good care of their mats or don't have any, so go pick up a cheap one until you are comfortable with it and better educated on what style of mat fits you.

People can never master Yoga, because there are always more things you can work on and focus on, so even the people who are doing awesome things might come out of class unhappy with their practice and you would think they are crazy.

That's the biggest part for new people, you're just starting to learn, but everyone in there is still learning the same exact thing as you, they are just further ahead on their journey.

Anyway, it can be a little weird sometimes when you first start but its always a great work out and a fun challenge.

Haha, erm, no. But I'm sure you could find a local class full of yoga booty to inspire your own practice  :P

How do you know I was asking you? I like a girl with some ego.... Private class?

People can never master Yoga, because there are always more things you can work on and focus on, so even the people who are doing awesome things might come out of class unhappy with their practice and you would think they are crazy.

That's the biggest part for new people, you're just starting to learn, but everyone in there is still learning the same exact thing as you, they are just further ahead on their journey.

Yep. There are days when I want to give up. I'll find a resistant spot, hurt my knees, forget to breathe, fall over, fail to hold the asana, or otherwise feel like I'm not progressing. Then, a week later, I might have a perfect session and wonder why I was so upset with myself. 

Yoga entails a lot of mental work, along with the physical challenges. 

How do you know I was asking you? I like a girl with some ego.... Private class?

You're right! How silly of me. I'd say headlight or Warcrimes would give you a private class. Enjoy!

This is about as creepy as you can get on the internet.

Lol

Hater

You're right! How silly of me. I'd say headlight or Warcrimes would give you a private class. Enjoy!

Oooo, some sass too!

You aren't from Jersey are you?

Edited by caledon

Oooo, some sass too!

You aren't from Jersey are you?

Hell no sugar. I'm from the hills of Tennessee. We're ALL sass 'round here.

caledon, don't be disrespectful.

Iridian and valor, I appreciate the advice! After an anxiety attack a couple weeks ago that led to me realizing I have a high level of suppressed stress, I'm intensely interested in activities that can help me relax while getting me exercise at the same time. Everyone told me I needed yoga.

I'm not a member of a gym anymore. Should I avoid yoga studios as a beginner? It sounds like that's what you were recommending.

Edited by karetyr

Formerly Scin Karetyr, a native of Chilastra in Star Wars Galaxies

caledon, don't be disrespectful.

Iridian and valor, I appreciate the advice! After an anxiety attack a couple weeks ago that led to me realizing I have a high level of suppressed stress, I'm intensely interested in activities that can help me relax while getting me exercise at the same time. Everyone told me I needed yoga.

I'm not a member of a gym anymore. Should I avoid yoga studios as a beginner? It sounds like that's what you were recommending.

karetyr, You will find that yoga helps immensely for clearing out all that suppressed stress. Just don't be surprised if you have some moments of emotional intensity while your body is releasing the negative energy, and give yourself space to feel angry, afraid, or sad. Yoga tends to open a person up, and it can be overwhelming in the early weeks and months. Be kind to yourself :)

You can start with breathing before you ever set foot on a yoga mat. If you feel anxiety, try this:

Breathe in slowly to the count of 4. Exhale to the count of 8. Repeat 3-4 times. (do this sitting down if you aren't accustomed to relaxation breathing, as you might feel dizzy)

No, you don't have to avoid studios at the beginning, but some people feel intimidated about it for a while. Also, studio classes are often more expensive than a gym membership. Just shop around for a studio that specifically offers beginners' classes. That way you'll get the early basics you need to learn to progress. 

Oh, and caledon is fine; he was momentarily overtaken by visions of yoga-panted booties. Poor thing, he fainted right in my arms.

Remember to breathe!

Iri~ 

yoga is good and cool but i do kung fu

i wonder what yoga is like, it looks like stretching exercises and static poses tbh

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

yoga is good and cool but i do kung fu

i wonder what yoga is like, it looks like stretching exercises and static poses tbh

Kung Fu is similar in principle to yoga, with different end goals.

The idea that yoga is all passive stretching and static poses is a common misconception. Yoga is about finding the asana and then holding it, nothing static about it at all. Try this: Try a king fu sequence one move at a time, and hold each posture for 30 seconds to a minute. You'll feel the burn.