Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Templers: Anti-Magic Class?

Dondagora

Just wanted to throw this idea out there. From Dragon Age, I think of Templers as warriors who have pseudo-magical abilities who are capable of purging magic. If Crowfall follows this type of Templer, it could turn out as a class with abilities suited to drain/purge mana and interrupt casts.

I won't go as far as trying to map out the whole thing, but I feel like this sort of Templer would fill a niche that other classes are less likely to fill.

Thoughts?

I dunno, on it's archetype page it's classified as a tank(dodge), so I would assume it's fast because of the high dexterity, but that's the same level of dex as the Knight. Whereas the Knight has more Spirit (health/stamina?), the templar has more intellect (spell-casting/mana?). So, it could be possible, but then it'll be kind over-powered against magic users. I think it has more to do with spell-casting that helps it dodge incoming attacks better, but we can't confirm what is true until more details are released.  :(

Indeed, it might make them particularly strong against mages, which is basically to soft-counter certain long-casting skills which would cause devastation, such as the Meteor Purge at full charge, but the mana purging will also seemingly effect every class as the Knight has shown their 1-0 skills will all use mana as their resource. I assume stamina will only be used for their right-mouse skill, such as Knight's Shield Block and Confessor's Zealot's Rush, and sprinting. This'll mean that the Templer fills the niche of an energy-drainer who controls their opponent's flexibility in attacking, thus how they might fill their role as an evasion tank who's capable of stopping attacks from hitting them before the enemy even attacks.

I don't think the templar would be like that, maybe one of it's promotion classes, but I think the templar (the base class) uses skills that make's it easier to dodge attacks and makes your opponent hit less often and this consumes their "mana pool". 

Edited by zero2none

I see it as Knight(armor) Templar(dodge/stamina) Myrmidon(health) for tank, but adding in a counter system for them to disrupt enemies combo's would be nice. Maybe lunges to reposition and get in close, and dodge out once the combo is down.

Landmimes, the silent killer.

• 2 months later...

Mana sapping powers are one of those abilities that sound neat on paper but turn out to be very detrimental to fun factor in practice. Being OOM means you can't contribute to a fight, and people don't log in because they want to not contribute. If you're OOM because you managed your powers badly, then that's something you can correct and avoid, but if you're OOM because a Templar ran up to you and said "hi, you don't get to fight any more" then that isn't good for the game.

A short duration silence/hinder which prevents power usage other than basic attacks, while not affecting my underlying resource pools, would be a much better idea.

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

• 6 months later...

Dodge tank is kind of ridiculous, because your not tanking, in an automated game you can take aggression and "dodge" damage statistically, but in a manual game, if your moving out of the way, than your failing to obstruct foes and protect your allies.

Pretty much all tanks are mitigation tanks, where "dodge" is just an alternate mitigation stat in automated combat.

I wouldn't rest any faith in data mined titles from a work that was clearly in brainstorming when it was published.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Last I heard, the Templar will have a parry rather than a dodge, but if they are a "dodge" tank, that probably means they get a dodge RMB. It could be very short distance with a low stamina cost, so they can dodge a lot to avoid attacks, but still stay in melee range. It should be interesting either way.

• 4 weeks later...