Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Everything makes sense now...

Agelmar

"sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

I feel like that got lost somewhere along the way. My daughter is dealing with her brother calling her names right now. "Daddy, brother called me a mouse". Did you turn into a mouse? Grow a tail? Grow fur? Someone calling you a name doesn't make you what they call you. When she's 6, she's going to get a forums account. You gon learn today.

"sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

I feel like that got lost somewhere along the way. My daughter is dealing with her brother calling her names right now. "Daddy, brother called me a mouse". Did you turn into a mouse? Grow a tail? Grow fur? Someone calling you a name doesn't make you what they call you. When she's 6, she's going to get a forums account. You gon learn today.

Yeah, wait until your baby girl is 10 and someone on the interwebz tells her in vivid detail how they will custard her without her consent. You'll prolly rethink that old adage, inaccurate in fact, that words don't hurt. 

My youngest came home crying one day after playing at the park with a group of kids. One of them told him that noone will ever like him, and he should just go kill himself. Words like that do hurt.  

Bird-wise: Bluejays take the avian troll award hands down. They harass the crows and often win. Heck, I saw a Bluejay trying to run off a hawk the other day. 

Edited by Iridian ShadowWeaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Sounds like good motivation for your kid to man the custard up, actually.

He was 8 years old at the time, so manning the custard up wasn't actually an option. The other kid was 3 years older than him also. My older son, big brother, took care of the situation in a most satisfactory way. Although I did have to tell the other kid's parents why he had a bloody nose and a fat lip.

Now the younger one is into boxing. I'd say he can handle himself in a manly way just fine, if need be. 

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

MMORPG's are usually given ratings that SHOULD inform parents that the game/community is too mature for their 10 year old children.

Crows are unpleasant people, and as such, will fit a friendly fire open world PvP MMO just fine.

Have you a child who traverses the interwebz? Minecraft, for example, is supposed to be a game for kids, but servers vary widely in terms of allowable words and actions. Wizard101 is supposed to be THE safe place for kids to play, but you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that happens there, even in filtered chat. 

It pays to be an observant parent when the kidlets are online. 

Peoples are much like crows, clever and adaptive, mean, and everywhere. 

Have you a child who traverses the interwebz? Minecraft, for example, is supposed to be a game for kids, but servers vary widely in terms of allowable words and actions. Wizard101 is supposed to be THE safe place for kids to play, but you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that happens there, even in filtered chat. 

EXACTLY!

I have a child.

She is ten years old and we as parents are not afraid of her using the internet. The internet is a reflection of the real world (not the corporate world).

She might encounter sex, cursing, death, drugs, "mean" people and plenty of other things. Our job as parents are to raise her into the real world, equipped with knowledge and information about how it works and how people work. Imbue her with principles that toughen her up against the sarcastic nonsense people throw around on the internet and also allow her to have a heart for when people are truly suffering.

Any parent who fears for their child encountering any of the above things are severely delusional about their own childhood and are holding their child back from reality.

Let them grow up informed with your support, not sheltered so that when they are grown they have to figure it out for themselves. Children are not a fragile glass egg, and to treat them as such is a shameful part of modern society.

Martial art, boxing and other combat disciplines are imo the best way to increase self confidence for kids and reduce the chance of getting harassed.

It's way more productive than any other hogwash stuff professionals are advocating.  :)

Hehe, we have a rule in our house: Deflect the words. BUT, if it gets physical, punch the twerp as hard and as often as it takes to put him on the ground. 

I've promised my dudelings that, if they fight to protect themselves, they will never receive punishment from me. If they START an altercation, that's another story altogether. 

Not very Crow-like of me, I know.

Edited by Iridian ShadowWeaver

I have a child.

She is ten years old and we as parents are not afraid of her using the internet. The internet is a reflection of the real world (not the corporate world).

She might encounter sex, cursing, death, drugs, "mean" people and plenty of other things. Our job as parents are to raise her into the real world, equipped with knowledge and information about how it works and how people work. Imbue her with principles that toughen her up against the sarcastic nonsense people throw around on the internet and also allow her to have a heart for when people are truly suffering.

Any parent who fears for their child encountering any of the above things are severely delusional about their own childhood and are holding their child back from reality.

Let them grow up informed with your support, not sheltered so that when they are grown they have to figure it out for themselves. Children are not a fragile glass egg, and to treat them as such is a shameful part of modern society.

I don't see where you got that I suggested shielding children from the ugly. That's a projection from you onto me, because you already have a preconceived notion of who I am as a person. And you, dear sir, are incorrect. 

IMO, my job as an internet-savvy parent is to prevent predators from gaining access to my children and to teach them how to get themselves out of bad situations. That's not overprotective; it's responsible parenting. 

Crows, btw, are very protective of their offspring. So perhaps I AM quite Crow-like after all :)

I don't see where you got that I suggested shielding children from the ugly. That's a projection from you onto me, because you already have a preconceived notion of who I am as a person. And you, dear sir, are incorrect. 

IMO, my job as an internet-savvy parent is to prevent predators from gaining access to my children and to teach them how to get themselves out of bad situations. That's not overprotective; it's responsible parenting. 

Crows, btw, are very protective of their offspring. So perhaps I AM quite Crow-like after all :)

Perhaps I should have quoted Valor instead of you, he wouldn't have made that personal.

IMO, my job as an internet-savvy parent is to prevent predators from gaining access to my children

An impossible objective. You can't even get close. Teach your child to thrive in the world that exists; stop trying to mould an artificial world for your child.

Edited by hamopeche

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.