Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hail Crows, from FelledFlames

Community,

I'm a college student studying Software Engineering with a minor in Philosophy and Religion.  (Feel free to message me with any kind of Philosophy question/discussion - I'll get a huge kick out of it).  Currently, I'm working in GUI Automation Testing for an internship.  I will be returning to university for my Senior year in the Fall.

As you can probably assume, I am a huge player of MMOs.  For anyone who is interested I will provide you with a list of the ones I can remember (which means I probably played it a minimum of a week)  Those who care not, skip ahead. The list: World of Warcraft (off and on since 2007 - yes, I started playing at 13), Runescape (off and on since 2006 - 12), Fiesta Online, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Maplestory, Mabinogi, Vindictus, Dragon Nest, Tera Online, FF: XIV, RoM, Tibia, and WildStar.

I try to find a balance between the technical software engineer side of me and the part that lives in the world of Philosophy and Religion & the written word.  I love to write and to read (feel free to message me about anything related to this as well)!  I really enjoy the balance between the two sides of the coin, because I love to explore other worlds.  That's one of my favorite things about video games (which lets me explore worlds with my friends!), reading, writing, anime, movies, theater, etc.  The thing that can get me into trouble is that I have so many things that interest me that there isn't enough time in the day.  As a result of this with university, I tend to have very poor sleeping habits (oops).

Currently, I am still playing FFXIV as I await Crowfall (which affords me the opportunity to play all the classes on one character... score!).  I'm on Gilgamesh for anyone who plays.

Finally, in the theme of having too many interests I will most likely be playing a tank/melee-fighter type, a Mage-type and a crafter.  I hope to narrow it down before release... but I can admit to my faults.  I look forward to meeting you all, and feel free to talk to me on this post or message me, even if you don't have anything to say about philosophy or writing.

See you all in-game,

Felled

a62683edbfc09d0373cb7494e23ef3cd3a056da3

Welcome FelledFlames!  I am with you on the Crowfall anticipation.  I tried FFXIV a while back, but the controls were pretty tough to get used to.   Loved some of the single player FF games on the console.

SR8DSigTemp_Tahru.png

Welcome to the forums!

That's quite the interesting degree focus.  Have you always been interested in both Software Engineering and Philosophy/Religion?  What got you into both fields?

Fellow FFXIV player here!  I'm over on Midgardsormr.  What's your preferred job/class?  

71431_original.jpg

Welcome to the forums!

That's quite the interesting degree focus.  Have you always been interested in both Software Engineering and Philosophy/Religion?  What got you into both fields?

Fellow FFXIV player here!  I'm over on Midgardsormr.  What's your preferred job/class?  

It is, it is.  Mostly the Philosophy/Religion is just because I enjoy it and I was able to make it work in a 4-year span with my major.  I'm a fairly inquisitive person naturally.  So I've found myself encountering a lot of existential questions.  I've found that Philosophy and Religion help me understand where some answers to those type of questions may come from.  Even if I don't always agree with the proposed methodology, ya know?  I think that's fascinating.

I pre-ordered when FFXIV was being re-released as FFXIV: ARR.  I didn't play for very long back then.  Got distracted by school, forgot about it and my schools friends were playing different stuff.  But just recently a few of the guys I know started back playing it (maybe for Heavensward?)  They're both 50s in one class.  Right now I have a level 35 WHM I've been playing the past couple days.  I also have a level 30 BLM.  I generally prefer tanking or mage nuke, but I am finding WHM reasonably enjoyable.  I thought it would be nice for my first run-through to max to play with healer dungeon queues haha.  I'm also interested in playing Dark Knight (when I can finally get a 50 and complete all the prereqs for it).  But my friend is trying very hard to convince me that they are bad.

I've found that Philosophy and Religion help me understand where some answers to those type of questions may come from.  Even if I don't always agree with the proposed methodology, ya know?  I think that's fascinating.

I totally get that.  I spent a lot of time in college learning about various religions and philosophies for similar reasons.  I feel it helped me understand a lot of my own questions and internal struggles regardless of whether the particular methodologies or belief systems fit my life.

I pre-ordered when FFXIV was being re-released as FFXIV: ARR.  I didn't play for very long back then.  Got distracted by school, forgot about it and my schools friends were playing different stuff.  But just recently a few of the guys I know started back playing it (maybe for Heavensward?)  They're both 50s in one class.  Right now I have a level 35 WHM I've been playing the past couple days.  I also have a level 30 BLM.  I generally prefer tanking or mage nuke, but I am finding WHM reasonably enjoyable.  I thought it would be nice for my first run-through to max to play with healer dungeon queues haha.  I'm also interested in playing Dark Knight (when I can finally get a 50 and complete all the prereqs for it).  But my friend is trying very hard to convince me that they are bad.

I'm pretty new to (serious) FFXIV play.  I've been playing (very) casually for over a year but with their Refer a Friend program, I got my wife into the game and now we're playing a ton.  Currently I'm a level 28 Gladiator (two levels from Paladin!) and finding my first tanking experience to be challenging and sometimes stressful but amazing when I get it right.  I've been rotating off to my level 25 Conjurer to rerun low level dungeons and that's been fun as well.  You should totally give Dark Knight a try if it interests you.  No harm in it and Square will keep balance patching.  At least see where the job is when you get to Ishgard.

71431_original.jpg

I have to admit, I really liked the way that they executed the backstory for the individual archetypes.  It kind of gives a feel for how that kind of character might play and also introduces what I see as realistic scenarios that will occur in-game.  On the other side of the coin, the idea of the Hunger, it seems to me to be a tad... generic?  

I am hopeful to see the execution of it being very good and I would honestly be kind of curious to hear why they would elect to use the seasons model.  It seems pretty brave to me to base a large part of the lore on a concept that results in four different models for every monster (that changes as the Seasons change).  I'm basing this on the fact that ACE also elected to use gender locks and locked class/race combinations to avoid having to do too much work on the character creation engine.  I wasn't in the discussions, perhaps they saw it as necessary.  But it's certainly curious to me.