Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

First Look: Legionnaire powers - Official discussion thread

Look at those lack of numbers :)

I like the idea of the legionnaire being forced to get in there as a support, that will be extra interesting if there are other supports that don't have to be forced to participate in the same way.

Lots of pushing people around, I think that's going to a big win for the physics engine. I imagine using rear kick on my own group members to help them run down people :) kicking them to safety :) kicking the enemy into traps :) using the surrounding geometry to kick someone into a place that then takes extra time to get back to you, making it more effective than any CC ever :)

You look at a game that doesn't have the ability to push someone and it's like so limited compared to the potential we have

With the big size and collision detection, legionnaire could do a better job of protecting someone than even the knight

Edited by oberon

:D :D :D

Oh man I can't wait to try out a Legionnaire! Doing support stuff is stuff I like to do, so this is definitely something I could see myself playing, which is good, because I'm definitely making a Centaur.

Of course, I will be that person who always stands in the wrong spot and gets hit, or charges the wrong people but you know, that's just how Centaur roll (right?) XD

Love this:

"... Legionnaire is sooooo damn big! With friendly-fire enabled, he often blocks Confessor projectiles and takes damage from them. Even without FF, he often blocks the intended target and prevents damage. “OMG, Steve, get out of the way! I can’t hit anything but you!” This has caused interesting tactical elements that most players don’t consider when deciding how and where to move in relation to their teammates."

Also, rage feels like a good idea.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

looks good! Not necessary my playstyle, but always good to see information about classes!

my first thought:

What happens when the Legionnaire dodges (right-click ability) into a knight that's shielding?

-Would the Legionnaire push/knock-over the knight (which would invalidate a core mechanic of the Knight)?

OR

-Would the Legionnaire get stunned/knock-over (from the Knight's description) when he hits the knight (which may be weird because of the different mass sizes)

IMO, I'm hoping that the Legionnaire would get stunned/Knocked over and the knight not getting pushed as much.

MMOs I've Played:

WoW (up to LichKing) - GW2 - FFXIV (Beta) - ESO (Beta)  - Wildstar - 

"Voila! We just turned our mana resource system into a Rage resource system with a few tweaks. This will also allow us to make certain archetypes regen quicker and lay the groundwork for some of the things we will need for our ranged physical/arrow mechanics in the future."

You have NO IDEA  how happy you've made me with this statement!!! I don't know about you, but this sounds like reloading mechanics for Ranger/Stalker/Guinecean might be in!!! WOO HOO~!!!

Questions:

Does "Rear Kick" have a cool down as well similar to retaliate?  I assume so, but figured I'd ask.  I can see a legionnaire being a pain to bring down during a chase, especially if every time you got close to them they just kicked you back.

Will the Wheel Left/Wheel Right deal less damage than if the legionnaire completed his full charge forward?

Edited by valor

I like the rage mechanic, and I understand that "rage" is the generic industry term for a backwards mana bar. However, from lore context, I don't think that "rage" fits the disciplined, Romanesque feel of the Centaur Legion. Perhaps this could be renamed to "Outrage", or "Resolve", or "Pride", or anything less... barbaric. Likewise for Eternal Rage. The Legion isn't about rage, it's about order.

Each week, we see that each new archetype has a unique, archetype-specific Retaliate power which is described as exactly the same as every other archetype's unique, archetype-specific Retaliate power: stand up when knocked down and do an AOE damage burst. If these are actually different in any meaningful way, could you detail the differences between each class's version?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

The first power in the active power tray is Charge. This instant power charges the Legionnaire forward 25m dealing multiple small sphere area pulses of damage and physics impulses along the way. This power has a combo off of it—Wheel Left and Wheel Right—that enable the Legionnaire to instantly stop his charge and deal damage in a cone to either his left or right based on which version of the combo he selected.

I really like this twist on the physic move.  As a big and fast Archetype it only seems fitting that he have a twitchy movement ability (25m is pretty far in comparison to the Confessor's 15m ranged abilities) that has some punch.  Or kick as it were. 

I'm hoping each Archetype has their signature move, and Charge feels like the Legionnaire's!

Scatter Horde and Linebreaker are nice complementary Physics abilities - plenty of push/pull with this guy.

rSHxVEY.gif

Look at those lack of numbers :)

I like the idea of the legionnaire being forced to get in there as a support, that will be extra interesting if there are other supports that don't have to be forced to participate in the same way.

Lots of pushing people around, I think that's going to a big win for the physics engine. I imagine using rear kick on my own group members to help them run down people :) kicking them to safety :) kicking the enemy into traps :) using the surrounding geometry to kick someone into a place that then takes extra time to get back to you, making it more effective than any CC ever :)

You look at a game that doesn't have the ability to push someone and it's like so limited compared to the potential we have

With the big size and collision detection, legionnaire could do a better job of protecting someone than even the knight

The way I'm looking at it is that the Legionnaire is the distraction tank, whereas the Knight is the block tank. The Legionnaire can't take hits the same way the knight can and most likely will fall to focused damage. His job is get in, make a mess to distract from friendly DPS doing their thing, and get out.

Both the legionnaire and the knight do the same role of protecting the squishies: the Knight blocks hits and absorbs damage through buffs and defense to protect allies, while the Legionnaire keeps enemies occupied by disorienting opponents and causing them to focus on dealing with him and his knockbacks while letting his allies escape, doing moderate, but non-lethal damage.

Of the 2, I still think the knight makes the better tank, as he has more lockdown and dueling ability at keeping the enemy in one place, allowing for concerted efforts between his blocks and lockdown with the DPS keeping sustained fire, while the Legionnaire is more of a rescuer-support, diving in to save his allies from being the primary target or getting in range enemy fire, but not allowing for much follow-up or joint maneuvers with fewer dmg mitigation options. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by RKNM

The way I'm looking at it is that the Legionnaire is the distraction tank, whereas the Knight is the block tank. The Legionnaire can't take hits the same way the knight can and most likely will fall to focused damage. His job is get in, make a mess to distract from friendly DPS doing their thing, and get out.

Legionnaire isnt a tank at all... I see him more as a combination Warrior Priest from Warhammer (needing to get into the fray to start procing heals) and Captain from Lotro (AOE buffs).  The physics stuff is what really starts to create a unique flavor though!

rSHxVEY.gif

I like the rage mechanic, and I understand that "rage" is the generic industry term for a backwards mana bar. However, from lore context, I don't think that "rage" fits the disciplined, Romanesque feel of the Centaur Legion. Perhaps this could be renamed to "Outrage", or "Resolve", or "Pride", or anything less... barbaric. Likewise for Eternal Rage. The Legion isn't about rage, it's about order.

Each week, we see that each new archetype has a unique, archetype-specific Retaliate power which is described as exactly the same as every other archetype's unique, archetype-specific Retaliate power: stand up when knocked down and do an AOE damage burst. If these are actually different in any meaningful way, could you detail the differences between each class's version?

I agree, names have power!! I really liked the Legionnaire's portrayal as more noble than other depictions of them in literature, and in classical mythology, Centaurs were quite the poets and philosophers. Personally, I like the terms "Pride" and "Resolve" the most, it just matches their flavor and backstory much better, while still having the strong and flawed connotations that "Rage" brings.

"Rage" makes it sound more like Attila the Hun and the Eastern Hordes, where they charged and had far less organization. With the inspiration of the Centaur race and culture coming from Greco-Roman influences, keeping the themes of martial organization and order would go a long way to keeping the Legionnaire's core themes.

Edited by RKNM

What I like the most about this class is that it is definitely going to be one of those classes that people love the feel of or hate it and through that you are going to be able to spot who is a good Legionnaire and who is a bad one. 

Also while reading this all I could think of was seeing an all Centaur guild and looking like this....

stampede-lion-king.gif

KjUVOZg.png

Varius - Veteran Member of LG

looks good! Not necessary my playstyle, but always good to see information about classes!

my first thought:

What happens when the Legionnaire dodges (right-click ability) into a knight that's shielding?

-Would the Legionnaire push/knock-over the knight (which would invalidate a core mechanic of the Knight)?

OR

-Would the Legionnaire get stunned/knock-over (from the Knight's description) when he hits the knight (which may be weird because of the different mass sizes)

IMO, I'm hoping that the Legionnaire would get stunned/Knocked over and the knight not getting pushed as much.

Obviously it creates a black hole.

nYgae2w.png