Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Farblue

Crafting Visuals

Crafting within an MMO game has widely different points of view. Visual aspects of crafting, and its results, can be approached in different ways. This post is about visual results from crafting. Now - First result is that you have an item that has been crafted. It will look like the item requested, armor, weapon, tool, crown etc...Now primary to the player who gets the item is that it does what its purpose demands. But next is where things can get interesting.

1) Looks - The cosmetic look of the blade can often be important to the player. Sharp points, curves, twists, insets etc...these can and should be artist templates and extra 'special' templates for sale in the store. Fun and practical in a game.

2) Enchantments - Now here the crafter and/or the enchanter can come into their own.

Naming: Wouldn't we all like a blade with an iconic or personal name? But where and how would this name become visible or known? A name above both character and blade (or other 'special' items) would be bad for tech requirements or maybe even frame rate. Especially if you are using a personal aim skill and not tab targeting. Also fighting a character name Blandastamon with his magic sword named 357AR9 (player named) would tend to blow immersion out of the water. Also a data base of hundreds of thousands of game created names along the bandwidth (etc...) needed to put in game and,,, well...this is simply getting out of hand. You could always name it yourself and run around yelling out what you have during play so everyone in the area would know. Or have a game purchased gonfalon contraption strapped to your back (like the ancient fighters in Japan used to carry) with whatever you want printed on it. The point is that named weaponry or items would overburden the game technically and visually and un-necessarily.

Enchantments - Now here is a shining example of where a craftsman can take part. (Unknown if there are special requirements on enchanting). Let us say that there are several levels of the Visual Aspect of enchantments. Ex as follows:

Glimmer

Sparkle

Glow

Flaming

Pulse Flaming

Arcing (electric blue arcs)

All visual night or day. Now any weapon could have a set amount of enchantments allowed based on size. The Small (Shurikan, throwing knives) would have 1 allowed. Fighting knives  - Medium - (Bowie, Dagger, Wakazashi) could have 2 enchantments. Swords (Katana, sabre, cutlass etc...) could have 3 enchantments. Great Swords (Claighmore) could have 4. Bows and Arbalest could have 3 or 4. Same with Spears, Quarterstaff). The point being would we want our opponents to know we had an enchanted weapon or armor or item on us in a confrontation? For immersion, yes. For stealthy players, turn it off and on ability. Now comes the part that aids immersion and pleases the vanity in most of us players.

1) One enchantment? Your item gets a 'Glimmer', like that in teeth ads. A single little gleaming sparkle that flashes occasionally.

2) Two Enchantments? Your item gets a sparkle effect that covers the item,

3) 3 Enchantments? Now comes the Glow. Yes, your weapon gets that glow we all love in a game. (well, most of us anyway).

4) 4 Enchantments? Here it is, a flaming item visible to all.

5) 5 Enchantments (getting a little out of hand here) If 4, 5 or 6 enchantments are allowed on a single item (I doubt it) then you might be able to get the Flaming Pulse or Arcing effect.

Point is that altho others may not know your items name they will certainly have to take in the fact that you do indeed have a magic item of some sort. An opponent with a Flaming sword has to be taken into account. For craftsmen the additional effects (all cosmetic) should cause the little extra effort (difficulty) and/or resources needed for that effect. In fact there is a considerable framework that could be created for in game craftsman cosmetic effects as well as possibilities for game shop sales as part of the business aspect of running the game.

Anyway - TL;DR type speculation while we wait for more info and news. As you might have noticed I am looking forward to crafting in Crowfall. Best wishes everyone!

We know that custom skins, where crafters can select from a library of skins they know when crafting an item, will be a thing:

The “Arcane Weapon Recipe set” allows you to apply a unique look to the weapons that you craft. From an attribute standpoint, they are identical to the swords, shields and helmets created by other players – but with a cool, unique look/style.

They've also mentioned that they want items which have thralls (captive souls) bound to them should visually reflect that.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

As long as there are no magical pipe organs involved...

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

What about magic banjo's or bagpipes???

The pipe organ was a (well-deserved) jab at Camelot Unchained's crafting system.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

What's about modularity of skins? ... I think of items "forged together" with different parts. For example a sword can be made with different blades, hilts and pommels. Or for shields you can chose a base material (wood, polished metal, rough metal), a frame and a logo/attachment. ... This would also reduce the time to design all skins, because with 5 blades, 5 hilts and 5 pommels you would be able to create 125 different skins (for example) ;)