Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Guilds Kingdoms and Combining Player Kingdoms

Tahru

Two topics in one, but part of the same line of thought.

If a guild has a kingdom, it implies that a user owns the kingdom that he or she is letting to guild use.  Many guild members will have their own kingdoms which they may be forfeiting development on to grow the guild's kingdom.

1.  At least on paper, it makes more sense that players can combine kingdoms.  Has there been any mention of this option?
  2. What are the advantages to the guild to have a guild kingdom besides exploring the economy part of the game?
  3. Has there been any consideration to guild owned, rather than player owned kingdoms?

Thanks for enduring my rehash of this....

SR8DSigTemp_Tahru.png

1) any number of players can be assigned cells or building lots for placing assets in another player's kingdom, so we can combine however we like without needing additional tools. You always have the option to move your assets back to your own kingdom so you don't lose or risk anything by sharing space.

2) if the shared kingdom (not necessarily a guild kingdom) has artifacts or relics on display, who can gain blessings from those trophies is determined by who is a tenant of the kingdom.

3) as per 1: if your guild fires its leader, everyone can easily move their kingdom assets to a new home, so there's no particular need for a guild kingdom as such.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Jihan, thanks for the concise response!  It is much appreciated.

I read the FAQ before, in fact a while ago.  But I still find the concept of Kingdoms vague in practice.  I look at Darkfall, where cities are devoid of life.  It is not the same thing, but in a game like this, how many will be interested in the "other part" of the game that does not involve campaigns.  Even in the FAQ it was said "We fully expect that some players will prefer to spend the vast majority of their time participating in the campaign worlds, and we intend to let them do so without maintaining a kingdom."   That does not exactly put importance on the Kingdom beyond raising funds for the game.

SR8DSigTemp_Tahru.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm concerned about the fact that everyone starts with an EK of one size.  I think this runs counter to the fealty system whereby people are encouraged to distribute land to other players for development. Why should I (hypothetically) attempt to build and improve a small Lot on someone else's land instead of spending resources making my own (where I am King) better? When everyone is special, no one is.

It seems to me it would make more sense for EK sizes to be small at the start and campaign spoils should be used not only to improve the land but to increase the available area. This would provide more incentive to join campaigns and also promote social interaction as some EK's quickly grow in size and require underlings to develop the area for economic advantages. I think it also provides a form of bragging rights for larger, more successful guilds to show off their prestige.

I suspect the current model will have tens of thousands of kings and queens sitting in their keeps or cottages alone on their 500 acres of virtual land wondering why no one wants to accept the generous offer to develop a small piece of land for them as their servant.

And if they want to do that, they're not hurting anyone else by doing so.

This system lets people group or solo on kingdom building, however they think best. We don't need to change the model to make people conform to one particular preferred model of EK behavior.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I'm concerned about the fact that everyone starts with an EK of one size. I think this runs counter to the fealty system whereby people are encouraged to distribute land to other players for development. Why should I (hypothetically) attempt to build and improve a small Lot on someone else's land instead of spending resources making my own (where I am King) better? When everyone is special, no one is.

It seems to me it would make more sense for EK sizes to be small at the start and campaign spoils should be used not only to improve the land but to increase the available area. This would provide more incentive to join campaigns and also promote social interaction as some EK's quickly grow in size and require underlings to develop the area for economic advantages. I think it also provides a form of bragging rights for larger, more successful guilds to show off their prestige.

I suspect the current model will have tens of thousands of kings and queens sitting in their keeps or cottages alone on their 500 acres of virtual land wondering why no one wants to accept the generous offer to develop a small piece of land for them as their servant.

So?

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

• 1 month later...

Two topics in one, but part of the same line of thought.

If a guild has a kingdom, it implies that a user owns the kingdom that he or she is letting to guild use.  Many guild members will have their own kingdoms which they may be forfeiting development on to grow the guild's kingdom.

•  At least on paper, it makes more sense that players can combine kingdoms.  Has there been any mention of this option?
  • What are the advantages to the guild to have a guild kingdom besides exploring the economy part of the game?
  • Has there been any consideration to guild owned, rather than player owned kingdoms?
Thanks for enduring my rehash of this....

I'm not exactly sure how they could implement a guild ek system with the the current system of every person having their own EK. You're absolutely right, others will be giving up building on their own ek potentially in order to build in the guild's (gm's) ek. The GM also gives up a fair amount of control of his/her ek as well in support of the guild, which I think is also fine. As Jihan pointed out, there really is no risk involved in building in another's ek because should you decide to leave or get evicted, you don't lose anything. As for #2, I'll simply copy and paste the answer given in our own discussions, which is also agreeable with other points made here:

1) building a solo EK is going to be expensive and time consuming for the individual compared to a guild that can pool their resources and efforts.

2) they have a good marketplace that you want to buy and/or sell from (size matters)

3) they have artifacts/relics and special structures (i.e temples, etc). which convey buffs that help you in campaigns.

Edited by Zim

9e58b2ae2f9ac9f2904b5d4c33b609bb92d1a174

"Sharp alone, deadly together."

It will be interesting to see how this all comes together.  Hopefully we get some system to link or combine.  I agree that if what we get is a pile on same sized EK's it is nothing special.  But other games have used instanced housing and made it work.  But anymore it is seemless housing world that is common.  You get X space and use it as you will.  Now can that happen on a kingdom scale?  Even in Eve there are gates between solor systems.  Maybe something along those lines.  So many EK in an instance.

Again watching this develop will be pretty cool.

I still like the idea of starting in the center of my EK, walking 2.5km north through the wilderness, then crossing the border into someone else's EK. The exploring would be fun to visit your neighbors, and discover whose next to you. 

But for sake of community or alliance EKs, I would hope some could be plopped next to each other. That would make it really interesting.

Take the FLA for example. Keaggan is using his own EK as the Free Lands of Azure community EK. But if it's allowed, I would place my EK next to his to make the FLA EK 10km by 5km. I think that would allow for more people and more fun.

OS_Sig3.png

I really think the benefits far outweigh the risks.  As has been noted anyone can pick up their parcels and flog off at anytime.

The gains however are enormous as players within a guild or alliance pool resources to create marketplaces for trade and crafting.  In addition creative and entrepreneurial types can stage events the span the entertainment scale...

I can promise you I am pushing all this within my guild and with my allies...

*wink* Tahru, Noc, Zim and Giz ;).

Edited by Anaraion

0f678e9787b873074149c019e1245cc58ac62d89

• 3 months later...

But for sake of community or alliance EKs, I would hope some could be plopped next to each other. That would make it really interesting.

Take the FLA for example. Keaggan is using his own EK as the Free Lands of Azure community EK. But if it's allowed, I would place my EK next to his to make the FLA EK 10km by 5km. I think that would allow for more people and more fun.

I quite like the idea of literally joining your EK to someone elses' when you swear fealty. "I am lord of these lands, and I offer tribute from them to you as my king' sort of thing. It'd be a nightmare to implement though... Maybe when you swear fealty you get a special portal to your King's EK that also drains off taxes or something?

• 4 weeks later...

I quite like the idea of literally joining your EK to someone elses' when you swear fealty. "I am lord of these lands, and I offer tribute from them to you as my king' sort of thing. It'd be a nightmare to implement though... Maybe when you swear fealty you get a special portal to your King's EK that also drains off taxes or something?

A similar functionality to this already exists, thought the EK's become combined and not separate entities.  Separate Ek's can become vassals of the ruler of another.

http://crowfall.com/en/news/eternal-kingdoms/

What can players do in my Kingdom?

As the Monarch, you control the administration of your Kingdom. You can set the PvP rules, collect taxes, and grant provinces to other players, making them nobles of your Kingdom. You can collect taxes in whatever form you want to from your Nobles, be it resources or materials! Hey, it’s good to be the Monarch!

As a Noble, you can grant Lots to other players, making them vassals of the Kingdom and allowing them to place buildings on your land.

As a Vassal, you can erect buildings on your Lots, and grant access to these buildings to other players as tenants.

As a Tenant, you can place relics and thralls in the buildings you have access to, using these buildings as crafting stations and market/vendor locations.

(And remember, these permissions are hierarchical in nature – a Monarch can naturally do everything that his or her subjects can do!)

A similar functionality to this already exists, thought the EK's become combined and not separate entities.  Separate Ek's can become vassals of the ruler of another.

You've confused players with kingdoms. A kingdom is not a vassal of another kingdom. Players can be vassals of other players.

Joe is the monarch of Joeland. Joe can assign a portion of Joeland to Fred as a province. Fred is then a noble of Joeland. Fred is also the monarch of Fredland, but Fredland is not at all involved in Fred's relationship with Joe and Joeland; the two kingdoms are completely independent of each other and do not combine or merge in any way.

Tully