• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Hunger as a weapon

Hunger as a weapon  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Does this idea sound interesting?

I have to jump on the "No" bandwagon.

There is nothing to say traditional necromancy doesn't exist here. The HUNGER however is uncontrollable. That is one of the backbones of the world. So...make it a discipline to allow you to control he hunger...however the moment you equip it, it is un-equipable and the character will experience true death (and deletion) after a month RL time weather you are logged in or not. The powers granted are still balanced properly and give only a marginable advantage at best. The sacrifice you make to control he hunger is permenant character deletion. Fits right into the lore even.

The gods cannot control the hunger, the gods get killed by hunger, thus so will we. This is immutable fact for the lore of this game as it stands now.

The only way the hunger should be usable as a weapon is if you are willing to sacrifice the character. Mind you making a new character and equipping the discipline would be pointless as it is still a new character and has no skills and thus will be easy pickings to anyone else that is using a proper character.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

I thought we got it cleared up, that even though many lore subjects was still open, The All Father being alive wasnt one of them (From some interview, so dont expect a quote).

Yea, ACE already answered something like this. They also wrote during about the same period "Is he… Dead? Missing? Corrupted? No one knows, and I’m not saying. (At least, not yet.)". And in a most recent interview, ACE talking about the All-Father : https://youtu.be/iW6rewvcUO0?t=35m31s

Hopefully we'll find this info in-game!

Edited by courant101

Ignore Adall... he's a wannabe forum moderator. Most of his posts these days just seem like a big troll, it's hard to take him seriously any more... 

I don't mind you making multiple posts because you bring something to the table to talk about. Anyway, I have to say no to the idea. The Hunger should stay as a uncontrollable force that can't be stopped. 

Edited by zero2none

Ignore Adall... he's a wannabe forum moderator. Most of his posts these days just seem like a big troll, it's hard to take him seriously any more... 

I don't mind you making multiple posts because you bring something to the table to talk about. Anyway, I have to say no to the idea. The Hunger should stay as a uncontrollable force that can't be stopped. 

Thank you, I needed my daily laugh!

I voted yes, however i had much different imagination compared to what op suggested. Instead of having an "archetype" that controls hunger with his/her superspecial powers, i was expecting a specific mechanic that allows us to twist the attention of hunger. Like using sound-granades to draw attention of a zombie horde, a specific way that can be used as a weapon.

I voted yes, however i had much different imagination compared to what op suggested. Instead of having an "archetype" that controls hunger with his/her superspecial powers, i was expecting a specific mechanic that allows us to twist the attention of hunger. Like using sound-granades to draw attention of a zombie horde, a specific way that can be used as a weapon.

Indeed, this is the extent of how I want people to manipulate Hunger: instead of controlling it, it is more like being able to hit a buffalo and start a stampede in the enemy's direction. Indirect method of forcing enemies into a tight situation with the PvE aspect of the game, which is valid war strategy, usually when facing larger numbers.

I thought it would be cool if we thought of harnessing the hunger as a type of dark thrall.

It could be trapped and harnessed in a dark soul gem, and used in crafting recipes to make weapons dark weapons.

- maybe even using the dark weapon could give the user an adverse effect over time, with the added benefit of the possibility of                           dealing large amounts of damage to an enemy.

Armor to counter this could be made of light (good) thralls.

There could also be the possibility of releasing dark thrall essences onto enemy's to deal more damage.

This was an idea I thought would be cool. There are many applications were this could be used.

I would like to hear your ideas as well.   

Edited by ScienceGuy

I was thinking it'd be cool if the hunger worked kind of like the melding in Firefall.  Basically you would have strange areas where the hunger was spreading to and infecting things and making it dangerous or even lethal to be in that area.  Kind of like a cloud of fog or plasma.  If the cloud could roam around or appear randomly it would add a nice element of surprise to the campaign worlds.

So not exactly a controllable weapon, but it could be utilized positionally for a strategic advantage.

I don't know if the OP understands this forum. Lol... Nakawe and Adall please sit down with him lol! He still seemed to not get it.

Anyway... using the Hunger as a weapon doesn't seem appropriate. That archetype should be extremely powerful since the Hunger is the reason worlds are dying.

If its a necromancer archetype you are looking for then there are different ways of doing it like enslaving thralls, rising corpses, corrupting a mob or several mobs so they can fight for you.

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

I don't know if the OP understands this forum. Lol... Nakawe and Adall please sit down with him lol! He still seemed to not get it.

Anyway... using the Hunger as a weapon doesn't seem appropriate. That archetype should be extremely powerful since the Hunger is the reason worlds are dying.

If its a necromancer archetype you are looking for then there are different ways of doing it like enslaving thralls, rising corpses, corrupting a mob or several mobs so they can fight for you.

I think the OP is making interesting threads/posts and perhaps he can teach nakawe and adall some things. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I agree that threads that lead to constructive discussions, like this one, are always welcome.

Without those new threads, the forums would be custard boring.

New threads with new ideas are always welcome. I just found it very funny that it appeared the sarcasm in the posts of the guys names I mentioned was not caught on by the OP. found it funny.

The Op is ok, I like people who are different.  I actually find the more someone is different and stands out on their own the better I like them.  It is better then having constant trolls  who nitpick post just because they wanna stroke their egos.  This guy generally wants to make a difference and is not just tossing out troll bait....

I am pretty sure Adall has the same sentiments. It isn't like the forums have been on fire with activity lately either.  I want to encourage not discourage forum activity. 

Lore: "No one knows what caused the Hunger – much less how to stop it"

i like the idea of bieng able to use the hunger, but then i also would like to know how the user

knows how to use it. (ie cause it)

knows how to stop it (ie obviously doesn't go away when someone is taken by the hunger.)

if one knows then the all-father would certainly know.

first of all, there is no such thing as a bad idea (or it must be an idea never told). All ideas "good" or "bad"  are still capable of generating new insights and ideas.

brainstorming (just writing any word that comes to mind on a piece of paper) to get new ideas is one way of generating new fresh ideas.

banner_akimotos_crowfall_001_zpsrhbpnsgq

Serrated Guild | (banner: WIP) |  Free Lands of Azure

Lore: "No one knows what caused the Hunger – much less how to stop it"

i like the idea of bieng able to use the hunger, but then i also would like to know how the user

knows how to use it. (ie cause it)

knows how to stop it (ie obviously doesn't go away when someone is taken by the hunger.)

if one knows then the all-father would certainly know.

first of all, there is no such thing as a bad idea (or it must be an idea never told). All ideas "good" or "bad"  are still capable of generating new insights and ideas.

brainstorming (just writing any word that comes to mind on a piece of paper) to get new ideas is one way of generating new fresh ideas.

Hunger caused by some food corruption in animal food maybe...

@Shunejii it's like a necromancer archetype that control the dangerous wild animal when they are in hunger state, good idea tho.

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

Well I never said they have to have complete control over the power, they would just have access to it. But i do agree that it's inclusion in the game is a bit...awkward. Especially considering the powers that be can't control or even understand what it is (they might need a keyblade if the stars are going out though).

We humans use technology we don't understand all the time though. Just look at the internet.  :rolleyes:

That said, I agree with most here that the Hunger shouldn't be used as a tool. It would undermine everything. 

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Well I never said they have to have complete control over the power, they would just have access to it. But i do agree that it's inclusion in the game is a bit...awkward. Especially considering the powers that be can't control or even understand what it is (they might need a keyblade if the stars are going out though).

Okay. Can you give me an example on how a combat scene would work as a Hunger User? Do you corrupt organisms with the Hunger for control of them or cause them to slowly die with DoTs? Does the User need a piece of Hunger near them or do they generate it? Is the Archetype actually slowly dying from the Hunger itself so that's why they can control Hunger because its slowly becoming part of them. ( Be cool if at the end of each campaign the character symbolically died however in a new campaign your "hero" is back... just another infested person)

Since Hunger steals life... would the archetype focus on siphoning and health distribution( Thinking of Defiler from Rift)?

Does the Archetype hit not as hard in the beginning of CW's but by the end when the Hunger is everywhere are the OP Burst Mages, but have continually lost their HP cap, Mana Cap because the disease is exhausting on them?

This is your thread, what are your thoughts on what the Archetype can be like?

We can totally flesh this out.

Okay so here is what i have,

When the All-Father went to stop the hunger, he never returned. The priests and priestesses of the mother church, to whom the gift of fire was given by the All-Father, gave up their gift in spite of the All-Father's weakness for a stronger source of power. The power that even the All-Father couldn't stop. The power of The Hunger.

The focus of this subclass would shift from glass cannon gameplay to a complete and total corruption and debuff based strategy. The hunger can corrupt npc creatures and dead enemies to fight for you increasing their power and turning them into combat thralls. You could then use them as tools, pets, or just sacrifices for chaotic destruction. What you would have with this is a combat pet, a mount (in the case of a creature), and a living bomb all in one.

You would still have some of the heavy damage of the base confessor class but your spells would be corrupted, sacrificing flat damage for secondary effects like slows, stuns, disorients, DoT effects, and physics impulses.

The resource would shift from mana to a corruption bar. The more it fills up the more powerful your secondary effects become but the weaker you get as a character and the more you have to rely on your corrupted pet/thrall to stave off potential threats. You could suffer debuffs yourself like losing %hp/sec adding part of the secondary effects to yourself and finally when filling up the bar you become completely consumed by the hunger losing movement speed, total hp, and becoming more susceptible to physics impulses while your thrall runs out of control rampaging through enemies and friends alike.

The tradeoff gameplay might be kind of interesting, forcing players to play smarter to avoid being completely consumed unless completely necessary to the combat situation.

Overall, this would be a character that would require a significant degree of planning to implement effectively and would still preserve some of the scariness and gravity of the hunger without allowing the player to feel like they are in complete control of a force not even the All-Father could stop.

Edited by Shunejii