Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Incase anyone hadn't heard, John Smedley has stepped down as CEO..

VIKINGNAIL

http://massivelyop.com/2015/07/22/john-smedley-relinquishes-his-post-at-daybreak/

I don't think this is a good thing for EQN as smedley was one of the rare few CEOs in games that was a serious gamer himself and wanted to make good games, not just the most profitable games. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I haven't really heard much about him, to be honest

I did read that this may have to do with those death threats he gave out a month or so ago.

Still, Everquest next / Landmark wasn't in a good spot anyway, since they fired that Dave-whats-his-name guy, I think the one calling the shots...

doubt this would change EQN much, or rather what little was developed for it.

Honestly, Landmark and Next had so much potential, if only it was being lead by the right team.

MMOs I've Played:

WoW (up to LichKing) - GW2 - FFXIV (Beta) - ESO (Beta)  - Wildstar - 

This is why you want the financial freedom that ACE is striving for :)

You know there was way too many people involved in this whole thing with him. Smedley should leave totally, go back to his buddy Brad Mcquaid, rescue Pantheon and make the real EQ next

Edited by oberon

I haven't really heard much about him, to be honest

I did read that this may have to do with those death threats he gave out a month or so ago.

Still, Everquest next / Landmark wasn't in a good spot anyway, since they fired that Dave-whats-his-name guy, I think the one calling the shots...

doubt this would change EQN much, or rather what little was developed for it.

Honestly, Landmark and Next had so much potential, if only it was being lead by the right team.

He's the guy who ruined SWG.

custard him.

Cannibal Man - Future serial killer

I can't even.  You win, I am done with this part of the discussion.

They also dropped the ball with Planetside 2 under his watch. If that game was half as good as Planetside 1, it would have been amazing.

EverQuest Next is/was the other Next Generation MMO, I had really big hopes for.

It was announced long before Crowfall and had so many amazing interesting concepts and ideas.

I was really amazed by the potential this MMO could have, if the concept is gonna be well thought through and the basis for the game, not the other way around.

By making these their points they wanna defenitly implement into the game, by referring to them as "Holy Grails", i was on good hopes that they know what they are doing.

Unfortunetly what was going to come was very discouraging.

One year later on the next SOE Live, Landmark was still in Beta, didnt make the expected progress, which you could take into account for being a really innovative MMO. From EQN was almost nothing to be seen at the SOE Live.

Then at the outset of this year the big news of SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) being sold by Sony to an investment company was already doubtful news in my opinion, but could have been a good thing, if the investment company was really wanting to invest and good-willing.

Then they announced they are not gonna work together anymore with the KI-Team Storybricks, which had a patent for the innovative KI-System EQN was expected to use. The innovative KI-System being the Holy Grail, the big thing about EQN, this was already bad news in my opinion, but the new SOE, now called „Daybreak Gaming Company“, announced that they were going to take what was made till now, and develop the rest inhouse. This already made many ???. Can they really do that, do they really got the skills for that, because Storybricks was specialized in this for many years.

After this came a news that Storybricks assembled an investment group around them theirselves, trying to buy SOE from Sony. But Sony actually made the deal with the investment company, by giving them much better conditions then they were giving to Storybricks.

Storybricks is a very small company, and they tried so incredible hard to rescue this project, with taking high risks on theirselves and so much hard work, they really gave it all they had. But it wasnt enough because Sony prefered the deal with the investment company on whole better terms/conditions than they would give to Storybricks. This made me very upset, because Storybricks was clearly the best choice for the gamers, as being gamers themselves. Thank you so much Storybricks for all your precious efforts, we wont forget you!   I personally really dislike Sony for doing so and wont support Sony anymore. As well as Sony was selling SOE and other business parts, because they are focusing themselves on their core business now, which happens to be the playstation trademake, and try to profile themselves in sense of that as a gaming company, any reasonable person can only laugh or be upset at that.

Storybricks announced after this that they are gonna close the company, as they couldnt find any other interested company in their innovative KI-System, as there is obviously no need for innovation in the whole gaming world.  :(   So they gonna develop for other industries interested in innovative KI-Systems, where there is many, in medic for example.

Really not easy being a gamer these days, gaming was so much better back then... because the gaming industry was actually totally different back then. With open minded, intelligent, creative people making games. Before capitalism became aware that you can actually make tons of money with games, ruining the whole industry with only some major big players left, but no longer the small till mid-sized independent companys. But thats a different topic!

Somewhere at the same time they announced that the project leader David Georgeson is going to leave the company, together with some others, and as well did some people already leave the company on their own when the sale of the company was able to be seen. David being the face or frontman of Everquest, with obviously a lot of own personally good-will and ambition for it, this was together with all the other people leaving again a huge lost.

Well and now with Smedley leaving or steping down, which was a good-willing person in my opinion too, and very important for this game he was, there is very very little hope left in me for Everquest next.

Which, as the post above me stated, is so sad,

because EQN and Landmark have so huge potential in them, it would change the industry significant. It would be really fully "New Gaming Experience". Which was refered to often in the past, but rarely happened to be the case. Maybe thats because nobody talks about something in their games as "New Gaming Experience" anymore, because they burned themselves by that already (looking at Gordon).

I think its very sad that there is so little ambition or risk taking in gaming industry nowadays to walk down new unseen or forgotten paths.

So hopefully this game here will change that in one way or the other!!

It better would, or i will be raging more here than this one guy on youtube when Project Titan was official cancelled!!!

No i wont , but still, lets make it happen, united together, forces united and focused     >_<

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

EverQuest Next fans must be truly discouraged now...  :(

Hope they can fix the situation and make the game. Imo it's always beneficial for a project to have some healthy competitors. Both CU and EQN currently seem to have serious troubles.

CU is Camelot Unchained?

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

You can't make a game...

... let players pay for not just participating in alpha but promising them that this is all about "community first" and "we are all developers", letting them invent completely new, hitherto unknown, voxel technics for you, building a huge amount of buildings for your next game...

... and then nearly completely shut down the community, showing by many actions that you not really care for them anymore but turn around to "community last", telling them that absolutely everything they built and will build in landmark is theirs and that they can use it how the want to...

... and then expect players to love you.

The vision was mind blowing. The start was good. They just got lost on the way. May they succeed in the end and those who fell or have been dropped land softly in new and friendly realms. And may others learn from their mistakes.