Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nimsul

SEVERELY Reduce Instantaneous Travel

Perhaps its the mindset we've all adapted over the years of wanting things NOW. 

But to me, an MMO has always been about the Journey, not the destination. the adventures you encounter on the way.  I've met some great friends on journeys in MMOs. 

With WoW pioneering getting from point A to point B almost instantaneously for everyone, all the time, MMOs have lost that main driving story of getting lost on the path and finding that your original destination wasn't your real destination at all. 

Also travel brings communities together.  It's a lot easier to brave the road filled with lots of things that want to kill you when you're with other people in the same situation and you band together in a common goal. 

Some people will claim that it's time wasted in Travel.  it's not.  Travel is where all the random encounters happen.

I'd also like to point out the little caveat that this game has "hunger" which would be kinda useless with being able to fast travel to places instantly and stock up on food. 

Need some food for the road. Prepare for a journey!

Those castles you want to burn aren't in quest hubs.  Infact quest hubs are where the action "aren't." They're always the places that you pass through trying to get to the quest hub to get the quest to go burn the castle that you just ran by! :P

Teleportation now comes at the expense of atrophying your character.

Also as a solo player, it benefits me to see less fast travel I like wandering in to people in the field. Also less fast-travel means more design work on large fields which means more stuff to likely explore.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28

For no-instant-travel: if this was a solo game AND there were interesting things in the world, then I would agree with you. In a multiplayer game though, were other people would have to wait for you, its not a good idea at all. In fact, I would say its a terrible idea. MMORPGs need to have as much instant travel as possible for the main fact that it is a multiplayer game and you have other people waiting.

For no-instant-travel: if this was a solo game AND there were interesting things in the world, then I would agree with you. In a multiplayer game though, were other people would have to wait for you, its not a good idea at all. In fact, I would say its a terrible idea. MMORPGs need to have as much instant travel as possible for the main fact that it is a multiplayer game and you have other people waiting.

You forget that they have to travel to. 

Not everybody is going to be waiting for 'you" 

everyone is going to be travelling.

why not make it kinda hybrid? what's wrong with having both in the same game?

because we have this beautiful thing called the path of least resistance. (aka now and easy)

You forget that they have to travel to. 

Not everybody is going to be waiting for 'you" 

everyone is going to be travelling.

That's even worse because they are going to me making ME wait. Oh god, I just recalled constantly having to wait in Maraudon (WoW vanilla dungeon before the LFG tool) for the rest of the party to come. Its like a traumatic memory bubbling up to the surface. It was terrible. Any game that forsakes instant travel deserves to die a terrible and painful death.

I agree waiting for parties in WoW sucked. Know what sucked more? Total destruction of immersion and all semblance of community caused by LFG. WoW was a nice virtual world for awhile. It died for me when it turned into JUST a video game.

Make LFG an active thing. Players must now find their group members through combat in the field.

Like a "Building the Team" movie troupe. It's feasible if there are enough concurrent players.

Players who join up get some sort of incentive for staying together with each other as they look for their next team mate so it's not boring.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

Maybe one of the classes could have a teleport friend ability, that would lead to some interesting/hilarious PVP encounters and obviously help with people getting from A to B. Of course that class would then have to do all the running, but It's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make If I could summon players to my aid at any point in time  :D

There's only room for one Boss. And one Snake...

Maybe one of the classes could have a teleport friend ability, that would lead to some interesting/hilarious PVP encounters and obviously help with people getting from A to B. Of course that class would then have to do all the running, but It's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make If I could summon players to my aid at any point in time  :D

Watch how fast that one class gets played versus all the others. I can hear the IMBA cries right now.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

I agree waiting for parties in WoW sucked. Know what sucked more? Total destruction of immersion and all semblance of community caused by LFG. WoW was a nice virtual world for awhile. It died for me when it turned into JUST a video game.

Actually Warlords of Draenor proved once and for all that it was not the LFG tool that kept people in the Cities and the Gameworld empty. It was the fact that there was nothing worthwhile to do in the Gameworld. Now that in WoD there are at least some things to do in the Gameworld, the outdoors are alive again and teeming with people even though WoD has a super polished LFG tool.

In fact I would argue that the LFG tool had helped create a better community because it is not easier than ever to make or join a custom group for any and every activity imaginable.

DAoC nailed the blend between instanced traveling and getting on a horse/mount and getting to where you had to go.

There is not much better seeing a tonne of peeps rushing to a common point for a CTA....

Non instant travel also opens up SOOO much pvp opportunities. You have the stragglers to pick off solo or in small gang, etc. Also intercepting a zerg is pure gold. :)

The Sundered Guard

I may be old! But least I am not dead.

Instant travel should certainly be limited but it shouldn't limit a guilds ability to stick together (ie we need summon) and it shouldn't limit players ability to get to PVP.  Portals shouldn't be from or to the intended area you're going towards.  They shouldn't be found inside of "safe" capitols for example.  They should be located some distance outside of it.

I really liked DAoC's traveling via the horse system as well.  It kept the feeling of the "size" of the world but still didn't feel like a longgg run every time. 

I also liked EQ's druid portal system where it was a player that could portal you around (which you could pay for if you didn't have friends).  That just adds value to being in a tight guild of friends.

One thing you should consider is limiting what players can transport via instant travel as well.  Maybe make it so you cant use a portal if you're carrying a lot of resources to help develop the economy.

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

Watch how fast that one class gets played versus all the others. I can hear the IMBA cries right now.

Seemed to work well in Knight Online... well, apart from griefers who would teleport you into a pack of high level mobs resulting in a swift death :P

Edited by big boss

There's only room for one Boss. And one Snake...

WoW, with almost all end game content instanced; is not a good comparison.

There is world PVP, but the great majority is BG's/arena.  Dungeons affect everything on the PVE side.

If the population is healthy and this game is not instance driven,  I do not think you'll have a hard time finding people.  Have a territory chat channel in place of world

Territoriality is the biggest issue for me in the fast travel argument.  It prevents larger guilds from strategically planting assets.  I think it is totally unrealistic and stifles growth if you have the ability to teleport from one side of the map to the other.  Having the ability to marshal your forces in successive siege defenses of cities you own at opposite ends of the map is a game changer, no matter how you feel about it.  Running over to the 3rd town over to defend successive sieges?  That I can see.

I do not see the difference between a "must have" teleporting system for instant PVP and queuing for a random battleground.